Gender bender and yuris?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Am I the only one here who dislikes Gender bender genres that have Yuri aspects? Like I’m not against smutty or sexual novela, but I genuinely don’t enjoy yuri mixed with gender bender, I feel as if it defeats the point of a gender bender
I doubt it, I don’t like or dislike it but I don’t really get/read smut all that much either. However, depending on the context it might not defeat ‘the point of gender bender’. Especially when the story focuses on the romance instead of purely on the gb. Although, imo, MtF with a male love interest is more interesting.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
You aren't. It can be used to explore trans lesbian identities, sure, but more often it's just used as an excuse to insert a man into a lesbian relationship.
:blob_neutral: I can count the stories that explore trans lesbian identities with my hand, meanwhile the latter are uncountable like the stars on this site.

LilRora

Mostly formless
This depends. It can often be fun, but it can be bad. Really depends on the story, especially considering how wide the gender bender tag can be all the way from temporary transformation, through futa, to stories with trans mc.

Also, I would say it defeats the point of yuri, if anything? Though that also can really depend on the story, so I dunno about that.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i have no problem with GB yuri... providing it's at least done halfway-decently.

what i really hate is futa jammed into yuri. defeats the essence of yuri and always feels just like the author wanted het smut but didnt want to write a guy and a girl so they just made it two girls with huge dicks.

Plantorsomething

:blob_neutral: I can count the stories that explore trans lesbian identities with my hand, meanwhile the latter are uncountable like the stars on this site.
Oh there are loaaads here. Like a whole community. Quiet Valerie and Elanix (is that how I spell it? Idk) are among the leading figures

Nevafrost

Well-known newbie author
I hate everything related to YuRI s.
Nope, I don't hate 'em. I just don't like reading them. Gender bender is something I read/ watched a long time ago.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Explain that.
Like... there aren't many men turning into women then having lesbian relationship stories?
"Okay, WTF was the point of gender bender then?!"
I would guess the author's boner.

Alski

what i really hate is futa jammed into yuri. defeats the essence of yuri and always feels just like the author wanted het smut but didnt want to write a guy and a girl so they just made it two girls with huge dicks.
There are many people on this site that need to be kicked in the head till they understand this.

Daitengu

Oh there are loaaads here. Like a whole community. Quiet Valerie and Elanix (is that how I spell it? Idk) are among the leading figures
See, I've read some of their works, and it's more of romanticized relationships than realistic ones. Which is fine with escapist power fantasy that Valerie writes, but I just can't see it as "exploration of trans les relationships" if it's just cinnamon roll all the time. That's just not realistic.

PS: to be fair, I usually end up dropping those stories because I always drop stories from authors that don't release at least a chapter a month. And Valerie has a bad case of writer ADHD. Meaning she jumps stories whenever to write something else and I've yet to bother restarting even her completed stuff because a year or more has passed since I dropped and just can't care enough. Thus, I could be very well wrong.

Last edited:

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
If I'm looking for a yuri novel, then it means I'm interested in stories about women (it should be self-explanatory, but what I mean by that is both cis women and trans women). So when the MC still acts, thinks and perceives himself as a dude, it's not yuri for me. That's why nowadays I'm mostly avoiding anything with gb + yuri combo, unless I get a confirmation that the yuri part isn't a lie.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Explain that.
Like... there aren't many men turning into women then having lesbian relationship stories?

Explain what? That gender bender pseudo harem stories are abundant in nature?
Explain that.

Heck, even I have a gilr subplot tag on story, although a weak one.
My impression is they are always the same people publishing a lot of stories.

Last edited:

Onehand_Writer

Yes these tags often tickle the author in unholy ways but god dang they also tickle readers :D why ppl so hostile about what others like?

BlackKnightX

I feel as if it defeats the point of a gender bender
How so? And what's this point you've mentioned? Gender-bender is about a male turns into a female or vice versa. What you do with it afterward is up to you.

That means there are many points to it, depending on different readers. Some readers want to experience what it's like turning into the opposite sex. Some want to explore the implications of it. Some just find it amusing. All of these points are legit, and none of them should be more important than others.

You said adding Yuri in defeats the purpose of gender-bender. Then, why don't we try going with the first camp? Say, you're someone who wants to experience what it's like being the opposite sex. If you're not homosexual before you got gender-bent, then of course you're gonna be attracted to the opposite sex. And now that you're that opposite sex, of course you're gonna be attracted to the same sex. In other word, Yuri (or Yaoi). It's just only natural.

If you're in the second camp, someone who wants to know the implications of getting gender-bent, then putting in Yuri means you get to explore an aspect of sexual attraction. It could mean that your biological sex has nothing to do with your attraction to a specific sex or something like that. Or maybe it does, but it will take time. That can be interesting as well, but then you'll still have to add in Yuri (or Yaoi) anyway.

That said, I don't think it defeats the purpose or point at all. Just different readers have different things they're looking for.

Oh, and in case you're wondering. Those who read Yuri (girlxgirl) are not necessarily girls who are into girls. See what I mean? I'm a straight man, and I still love the Yuri dynamic for reasons that will take more than one paragraph to explain here. This is getting too long, so I won't delve in deeper. But aside from me, there are many dudes who read Yuri. So reading about a guy turns into a girl but is still into girls is like the reader (a dude) gets turned into a girl and gets to experience Yuri relationship more intimately.

Last edited:

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
Yes these tags often tickle the author in unholy ways but god dang they also tickle readers :D why ppl so hostile about what others like?
Every now and then, I see a post like this asking people's opinions on GB + Yuri, and someone will inevitably say they hate it. It's a tradition now.