A really serious question this time, promise.

BlackKnightX

When it comes to the descriptions of sexual organs in smut, do you prefer direct, vulgar terms (you know, the P, the D, the C, the V, and all that) or do you prefer metaphors (rod, honeypot, holy water, etc.)?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
Do you prefer vulgar words or more polite words?
I think polite. There's no need to explicitly describe anything, and especially not to explicitly describe it and then pretend you're not being explicit by using metaphors...

DeirdreH

When it comes to the descriptions of sexual organs in smut, do you prefer direct, vulgar terms (you know, the P, the D, the C, the V, and all that) or do you prefer metaphors (rod, honeypot, holy water, etc.)?
Neither.

Off the top of my head my favorite smut stories are "High School Hack and Slash" on NU and "What We Do to Survive" on QQ. Both of those stories have little-to-no descriptions of sexual organs at all, either directly or via metaphor, because those descriptions aren't actually necessary.

The smut aspect is derived from everything else that is going on in the scene: who is involved, how they ended up in that situation, and why it is happening. The specific low level details of exactly what is going on with the sexual organs is mostly left to the imagination because it isn't terribly important.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I don't mind metaphors, but some authors go too far with them. They are a good way to reduce the usage of those direct terms or to make some things sound lighter (particularly in dialogue or when the narrator has a personality). Plus they can often be good for stories intended for younger audiences.

Sometimes an author adapts a term as his new default word for the thing and hardly ever uses the actual word, which can get annoying. Some also try to come up with creative ways to avoid using the actual word, which often feels artificial.

In narration, I personally prefer not to beat around the bush and call things for what they are. In dialogue though, it can be a great way to show a characters personality, whether they say it directly, call it something else, try to avoid saying, ot yet something else.

Last edited:

ACertainPassingUser

It depends on the overrall style of the story and the type of words used by the character themselves.

Every people has their different way of saying the same thing.

And there's also level of familiarity and embarassment of the character themselves.

whether an inexperienced person is about to doing it wuth somone who is also as inxperienced, they would love to hide their vulgar language and gradually trying to be more precise with their words.

Or its about an amateur doing it with somone experienced, the inexperienced trying their best to shide the vulgar while the experienced explaining and trsching the inexperienced while also trying to open up the shell of the innocence.

Or two experienced people that never met before finally met and share their words, they may just share vulgar words, or may not, depend of their personality, but despite being relaxed, theyre quite precise on what they expect from one another.

Sylver

A bit of both. I don't like repeating the same terms often so I change it up when it feels right. But nothing silly or else it kills the mood lol

fcures

Tbh I don't like when the author start making crazy ahh metaphors for breasts...

HuaiChi

It depends on the type of smut I am writing. Let's say it is sensual and softcore, then the metaphors add to the mood. However, if it is non con then the the use of those words shows the character had no intention of fucking around.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
I prefer explicit terms with occasional metaphors to vary or strengthen a scene. It's important to use all the tools at your disposal to best describe the smut.