Scribble Hub Forum

Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Damn.
Iamnotabot
Iamnotabot
Is it me or dark paul is more hot than normal paul ?
Voidiris
Voidiris
That's just our evil fetish, maybe.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
Yes. I have a collection of swords and knives. My first knife was given to me when I was 3. Have been collecting since I was 9. It's fairly common.
'o'

Your parents gave you knives at 3?
And at 9, too?
Fairly common where?
Why?
:blob_frown:

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
My dad gave me a knife at 3 and then told me to not cut myself and be back before dinner before sending me into the swamp. I bought the one at 9. You don't need parents permission to buy swords or knives in America.I got them because I think they're cool and I got into fencing and HEMA.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
|.o)
Florida man?

jk
>w<

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
North Carolina but pretty close. Everyone has a Florida man. Just look up Norwegian man.
SailusGebel
SailusGebel
True.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
Btw, HEMA stuff always looks fun to watch.
I don't think I could learn it myself since I suck at doing movements.
I was very bad in dance class at school, and I'm too instinctual whenever I've playfought with friends.

You ever taken part in any HEMA competitions/contests?

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Once or twice in the past. I haven't been able to really do anything with it the past few years accept train because I don't have the money for it and since I moved to Illinois, I haven't been able to find a good place to bout.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
That's a shame about not having anywhere to practice with others.
How far did you get in the contests/competitions, or would you rather not say?
:sweat_smile:

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Not very far. It's been around 12 years since I was last in a swordsmanship competition. I beat the first kid in my bracket, lost 2-1 against the second bracket, and beat two kids in the loser's bracket. Haven't had the time, money, or practice to go again since.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
At least you didn't get knocked out in the very first fight/spar/bout.
(^-^)

A shame it requires so much to maintain that kind of hobby decently...

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
It's mainly just the fees. The equipment can be mostly borrowed but having your own is nice. It can cost $400 or more for all the equipment so a few months of saving paychecks can probably allow that.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
Still a lot of money.
I imagine the fees are to pay for the instructors and venue?

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Yeah. The gym needs to keep trainers and pay rent so it's necessary.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
Whereas here, we don't even have a sports centre anymore...
Our incompetent council has become bankrupt and has closed down nearly all the sports centres in the towns under the council.
In an entire county, there is only 1 sports centre still open.
*sigh*

X
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Dang. How does that even happen? I know very little about smaller UK politics.
Nahrenne
Nahrenne
*sigh*
It's because they joined our local council area with a whole load of other council areas about 15-ish years ago, I think, and since then it has definitely felt like the council has prioritised a very select few places for actual investment, while not doing much of anything for the others.
[tbc due to word count]

X