Scribble Hub Forum

Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
No idea what is so special about the story. His magic doesn't work on me. :blob_cookie:
F
ForestDweller
His prose is too good.
Saileri
Saileri
It's like that all the time. You gotta get used to it. You will always notice "things that are better" in other people's work. I've read a few chapters of Lac's work and instantly was hit with the realization of how much better his style is and yet he has so few readers.
Saileri
Saileri
You can always use other's work as a benchmark for yourself, striving to be even better in your mind. But, don't get yourself too much down. There are definitely tens of people enjoying your work. Never forget that ever. It's good to strive to be better, but don't let that blind you from already being "good".
EternalSunset0
EternalSunset0
+1 on Saileri's comment. I think most writers would have gone through that feeling at least once. If you want to, you can take a short break and regroup, but I would say that you can keep at it. I mean, your work right now (if I'm lookin at the right one) has so many readers and favorites already for you to give up on writing.
Maple-Leaf
Maple-Leaf
Position yourself as the worst writer in the world and then you can only be pleasantly surprised.
Saileri
Saileri
Surprisingly, @ForestDweller story was the one that gave me the vibes of how bad I am as one of the first ones. When I read it I had a feeling that I would never be able to achieve such a level of storytelling. So yeah, it goes both ways.
EternalSunset0
EternalSunset0
@Saileri That confession sounds like something you'd see in an actual story hahaha. It's so heartwarming though to have it come out.
Leti
Leti
Good job, everyone. Now I'm tempted to defect from a reader to a writer just to see how bad I could be.
EternalSunset0
EternalSunset0
Everyone's gotta start somewhere @Leti 😉
UYScuti
UYScuti
Out of curiosity, what about the authors prose do you find good?

Edit: What is it about the prose that makes you feel it’s better than yours?
Maple-Leaf
Maple-Leaf
Good job, everyone. Now I'm tempted to defect from a reader to a writer just to see how bad I could be.
Welcome to the rebellion, soldier.
The exit is to your left and the hiatus wrestling pit is up ahead.
F
ForestDweller
@UYScuti

It's the word choices. It's just so much more advanced than my own.

@Saileri

Oh wow, really? I'm so happy to hear that! I don't think my story is good enough to awe anyone! :love:
F
ForestDweller
@Saileri If you don't mind me asking, which part of my story impresses you?
Saileri
Saileri
Honestly, I didn't have time to venture far. I'm I think somewhere around ch33 only since I'm really busy. Writing even at this moment. I just felt that your style and the way of storytelling was far superior. It read good, felt good, characters gave an impression that they are really well-thought and planned and such.
F
ForestDweller
I'm flattered to hear that! :love: Though I see you haven't gotten to the controversial part yet. :blob_no:

Honestly, reading your story, I don't think your skill on writing is below me. Hell, you might even be better than me!
F
ForestDweller
I do try to plan out important characters as best as I can, especially the harem members, which is why even though having a slave harem member is kinda a staple for isekai, I didn't add one, since I just can't come up with a satisfying character progression and backstory for her.
F
ForestDweller
As for how it reads, I just hope it's readable enough. I'm not a native speaker so my words can't be as fancy and varied as I wanted them to be.
UYScuti
UYScuti
There's a misconception that using "fancy" words or an enormous variety of word choices that aren't common makes the writing better. It's ok to occasionally take out the thesaurus, especially when repeatedly using the same word in a few paragraphs next to each other.
UYScuti
UYScuti
But once you start using uncommon words, you lower the story's readability. Simple, clean, and direct language is better than showing how great your vocabulary is. If your reader can't understand it, then it's wasted.