Writing 1st person writing

P00tis

This a question for all my first-person writers out there. How do I reduce my use of the word "I"
when I read my work, it always sounds so repetitive.

LilRora

Mostly formless
There are various ways, the most common are to simply change the subject, use passive voice, or, uh, do the latter part of the example. I'm not good with theoretical side of grammar.

For example "The <action> was completed swiftly, allowing me to move on to the next problem."

Ocassionally you can also skip the person entirely, for example "I started sorting the scrap; this went there, that went there, and everything that was too damaged was thrown into a container to take out later." - there is only one "I" where you could easily fit five, but the context makes it easy to see who the person doing things is.

Generally, don't replace the "I", but think up ways to say the same thing in a different way; as long as it's not too convoluted it will work fine.

And sometimes when you've no idea what to do to to make it sound better, you can always add or remove a short sentence to increase the spacing between individual "I".

DiscoDream

Severe autist
How do I reduce my use of the word "I"
when I read my work, it always sounds so repetitive

How do I reduce the use of the word "I"? When reading my own work it always sounds so repetitive. 😗

-Upon waking up there was much for me to do. Sweeping the floor, tidying my bed, dusting the corners. I'm always strapped for time and sometimes have to skip breakfast. The rumbles in my tum tum plague my shifts and have my co-workers looking like a snack.

P00H

Just go and read some authors with good prose and style. It sticks on you and very quickly you can start arranging the words in your sentences without even mentioning "I".

P00tis

Just go and read some authors with good prose and style. It sticks on you and very quickly you can start arranging the words in your sentences without even mentioning "I".
can you recommend any

P00H

can you recommend any
I write 1POV fantasy, and reading Tolkien, especially the Silmarillion, opened my eyes to a whole new level of writing. Also, you can try HP Lovecraft as well, or HG Wells War of the Worlds. If you're brave, try Dickens, but that's very very hard reading that I had to put it down.

All of those books and authors you can find PDF-s for free.

P00H

Attachments

• 1662878829296326.png
    1662878829296326.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 28

Tumbmar

Write about what your character is observing or feeling. You can show the character looking at something, but afterwards you can just describe whatever it is in multiple sentences. Same thing with sensations, feelings, thoughts, actions etc.

Ex:
1. I looked to my side. There was a waterfall whose peak stood high above the rocks. The pool was murky. As if blood were running through.
2. Why did I feel this way? These thoughts of happiness and sadness that had me bawling. It wasn't fair.
3. There in front was my enemy. His long sword being brought to swing. I ducked. The sword arced past and I rose to deal the finishing blow.

Although for added emphasis, you could do some repetition by chaining multiple sentences that start with "I". Of course do it sparingly.