3 Questions to Answer When Designing Magic Systems

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I made a thread previous on this first video I made, but I can't find it, so this is quicker.

I've completed a series of videos on designing magic systems that can help out anybody at the beginning who is struggling or wants a new perspective on putting them together. I break it down with three questions to answer and provide a bunch of information on how it can be answered. Don't be afraid to mix and match.

Here are the three questions which I consider when making a foundation for everything else: Who can use magic, what fuels magic, and how does magic function?

Hope this all can help!

Aiyoki

Or you can make your own system of magic and determine all of the rules that govern it.

:blob_cookie:

IdleYoungMaster

The questions to these answers depend on the worldbuilding you're aiming for.
Let's take Danmachi as an example.
1.) Who can use magic?
-In this world, only the select few can. The demographic is more tilted towards elves, but there are also human sages like Fels.
2.) What fuels magic?'
-In this case, it is mind (or more aptly put, mental power). They don't have the usual mana here. This was made in order to "restrict" magic even more since if you use too much "mind", you'll experiences varying levels of mental debuffs.
3.) How does magic function?
-This one wasn't properly explored in this world. Though, I'm more inclined to think that it is the form of rewriting laws of physics through their "mind".
You can see here that Danmachi has a distinct magic system. If you're aiming for a worldbuilding where mages are the norm, then you can make acquiring it extremely easy.
For an interesting magic system, I recommend to read Throne of Magical Arcana by Cuttlefish (the same guy who wrote Lord of the Mysteries).

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
The questions to these answers depend on the worldbuilding you're aiming for.
Let's take Danmachi as an example.
1.) Who can use magic?
-In this world, only the select few can. The demographic is more tilted towards elves, but there are also human sages like Fels.
2.) What fuels magic?'
-In this case, it is mind (or more aptly put, mental power). They don't have the usual mana here. This was made in order to "restrict" magic even more since if you use too much "mind", you'll experiences varying levels of mental debuffs.
-This one wasn't properly explored in this world. Though, I'm more inclined to think that it is the form of rewriting laws of physics through their "mind".
You can see here that Danmachi has a distinct magic system. If you're aiming for a worldbuilding where mages are the norm, then you can make acquiring it extremely easy.
For an interesting magic system, I recommend to read Throne of Magical Arcana by Cuttlefish (the same guy who wrote Lord of the Mysteries).
Which, going from this and what I went into, using your example...

1) Falls into natural ability with the subclass of race and possibly genetics for human sages.

2) What fuels, again, nature, internal (personal abilities) example which works well with stories designed around.

3) How does it function

I have nothing to go off of here, but I'd assume it's in the cookbook/engineering/art trifecta. I'd personally go the engineering route based on the two previous answers, so everybody has a similar base but more advanced people have a depth that leads to individuality. It depends on what one wishes to do with the story and how much one wishes to explore it though.

And then how it's all fleshed out is very individualistic. Still, what I shared is all of it simplified into workable concepts and steps for anybody who gets overwhelmed and needs a skeleton.

IdleYoungMaster

I'd personally go the engineering route based on the two previous answers, so everybody has a similar base but more advanced people have a depth that leads to individuality.
This is how TMA fleshed out their magic system. All of them started at the fundamental forces of nature, but they soon branched out. Electromagnetism, Molecular, Relativity... these are some of the specializations that they have there. That's also why in that novel, each of them has a unique title. I suggest you read it if you are really interested with magic systems (since that was the one who inspired me to create mine). Then there's also Irregular at Magic High School. If TMA was the one that began everything, Irregular has the one of the best science-based magic I have ever seen. It is complete, down to the smallest of details.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
The one thing I'd disagree with is the idea that "X should check out Y if they want to learn about magic systems."

Only in that, people should check out X if you want to learn about this specific brand of magic system.

For instance, we can look at Stands from JoJo. It is a beloved setup due to how the story incorporates it. But, as a magic system, its base components are very different. It functions in a manner closer to art due to the individualistic nature of each power and the way to gain powers is either genetically if you're related to a stand user or through getting stabbed by a specific arrow, which falls into physical initiation.

The series itself is geared to combat with stands as manifestations of someone's soul, so the actual stands are personal abilities. This is what dictates rules and limitations such as if you hurt a stand, you can hurt the user. This limitation wouldn't exist without the understanding of that personal ability factor.

A good example is if stands weren't personal abilities, but familiars. This would create different limitations and logic for why said limitation exists.

For example, it could operate closer to Chainsaw Man's system, where the users create contracts with devils. That's a negotiation-based system that draws power from spirits and is the source of power. The spirit relationship creates a different dynamic since it means having to give something to the devil in exchange for their power.

The devils, meanwhile, work on their own magic system within that, with it being a natural ability of a specific devil, but they're shaped by fear and what they're perceived to be able to do with regard to that specific fear. Their source, thus, is a subjective reality. They can just act on things, in what seems to be a cookbook set up with what they do (I've not gotten far enough to know for certain), but otherwise, they're those beings on the other half of a negotiation system. And the fact they don't need worship is why they're not a divine entity.

Regardless, every system can work differently and still be equally valid as a magic system. And what system is needed depends on the story's demands. This is why knowing the barebone components and what someone is trying to do with their story is so important before fleshing it out. Just being told to "look at X" can lead people astray and down unhelpful rabbit holes with ease. "Look at X" is what follows after someone has decided on the system they're building.

That's actually one of the reasons I made all these to help people. :ROFLMAO: I feel it's more practical to have an overview.

Aiyoki

Hm… I’ll give this a go and expose a synopsis of the magic system for the world I’ve created. This applies to the story I’m currently writing and may be spoiler-ish so if you’re reading my story: beware!

1.) Who can use magic?

-In this world Dragons and the elusive Spirits are the only ones who can give proper shape to mana and form it into what the world knows as “magic” Other races can use magic as well but this requires an agreement or contract formed with fey spirits.

2.) What fuels magic?'
-Mana is the foundation and is used to fuel the world’s magic. Each living creature in this world possesses a finite amount of mana.

-For non-dragon races, the interaction between mana and magic requires a catalyst in which willing or unwilling spirits are used. Each being possesses a mana type (Wind, water, earth, fire, life, death, and/or dream.) which predetermines what kinds of spirits they can attract and bind to their will. When these spirits are granted mana from their contractor, they absorb it and reciprocate the meal by forming a portion of that mana into magic based on the type of mana the user possesses.

And I’ll add a significant question since it’s largely relevant to my story’s world and how magic functions:

4) What are the drawbacks of abusing Magic?

-Humans who use too much mana trying to form spells or who regularly abuse a forced spirit to use magic for selfish purposes find their spirits will have turned to malevolence. Humans who demand for more than their mana can supply find themselves consumed in a process known as mana corruption. This is when the spirit fuels a demanded spell by forcibly converting the user’s physical body into mana. This process can subsequently consume the spirit and its intended malice towards the one making demands of them. Spirits and individuals consumed by this process either die, are mutated into something else entirely (Elf, dwarf, goblin, ect…), or are destroyed and subsequently reformed into demons. This adverse process can be swift or it can occur over a much longer prolonged period depending on the circumstances involved.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Hm… I’ll give this a go and expose a synopsis of the magic system for the world I’ve created. This applies to the story I’m currently writing and may be spoiler-ish so if you’re reading my story: beware!

1.) Who can use magic?

-In this world Dragons and the elusive Spirits are the only ones who can give proper shape to mana and form it into what the world knows as “magic” Other races can use magic as well but this requires an agreement or contract formed with fey spirits.

2.) What fuels magic?'
-Mana is the foundation and is used to fuel the world’s magic. Each living creature in this world possesses a finite amount of mana.

-For non-dragon races, the interaction between mana and magic requires a catalyst in which willing or unwilling spirits are used. Each being possesses a mana type (Wind, water, earth, fire, life, death, and/or dream.) which predetermines what kinds of spirits they can attract and bind to their will. When these spirits are granted mana from their contractor, they absorb it and reciprocate the meal by forming a portion of that mana into magic based on the type of mana the user possesses.

And I’ll add a significant question since it’s largely relevant to my story’s world and how magic functions:

4) What are the drawbacks of abusing Magic?

-Humans who use too much mana trying to form spells or who regularly abuse a forced spirit to use magic for selfish purposes find their spirits will have turned to malevolence. Humans who demand for more than their mana can supply find themselves consumed in a process known as mana corruption. This is when the spirit fuels a demanded spell by forcibly converting the user’s physical body into mana. This process can subsequently consume the spirit and its intended malice towards the one making demands of them. Spirits and individuals consumed by this process either die, are mutated into something else entirely (Elf, dwarf, goblin, ect…), or are destroyed and subsequently reformed into demons. This adverse process can be swift or it can occur over a much longer prolonged period depending on the circumstances involved.
So basically, if I understand this, and am simplifying it correctly...

Who Uses It: Natural Ability for Dragon Race and Spirits, Spiritual Inspiration for Everybody Else

Fuel: Nature: External for those who can harness, Gods & Spirits for everybody else

Concept: Negotiation-Based Magic System for most people, Art(?) based one for spirits.

Aiyoki

So basically, if I understand this, and am simplifying it correctly...

Who Uses It: Natural Ability for Dragon Race and Spirits, Spiritual Inspiration for Everybody Else

Fuel: Nature: External for those who can harness, Gods & Spirits for everybody else

Concept: Negotiation-Based Magic System for most people, Art(?) based one for spirits.
Yup! For simplifying my words into a simpler overview I'd say that looks about right to me! :blob_okay:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Yup! For simplifying my words into a simpler overview I'd say that looks about right to me! :blob_okay:
I can see this working as a fun setup! Plus now I'm starting to think about how to go beyond this foundation, such as the limitations part. I'll have to think about it later on...