A Dumb Poll on Ratings

What is your perspective on dumb rating scales?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
1+2+3+4+5=15/5=3
Ergo, the average is 3.
|1 2 |3| 4 5|
Ergo, the median is also 3.:blob_neutral::blob_hmm::blob_unsure: It doesn’t always need to be the mean used as the reference for a rating system. Your statement sounds like, in the context, you intended it to be self-explanatory, but it really isn’t.:blob_frown::blob_nom:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I don't have a rating scale. I don't rate anything unless I love it; if I love it, I rate it five stars. Am I part of the problem? Maybe. But I don't care about rating novels I don't find interesting.

Edit: The only exception is @K5Rakitan novel I rated 1 star.
I don't have a rating scale. I don't rate anything unless I love it; if I love it, I rate it five stars. Am I part of the problem? Maybe. But I don't care about rating novels I don't find interesting.

Edit: The only exception is @K5Rakitan novel I rated 1 star.
Realizes you weren't talking about novels. Well, I rate things on the forums, but that's it. All of my ratings and whys are visible.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
|1 2 |3| 4 5|
Ergo, the median is also 3.:blob_neutral::blob_hmm::blob_unsure: It doesn’t always need to be the mean used as the reference for a rating system. Your statement sounds like, in the context, you intended it to be self-explanatory, but it really isn’t.:blob_frown::blob_nom:
  • Is 3 Stars 🌠🌠🌠 in the middle of a 5 Star 🌠🌠🌠🌠🌠 rating scale for you?
It isn't the middle for me. It is the middle for everyone. Because MATH.
There is no discussion. To think otherwise is to be wrong. This is an objective fact.

To me 1-5 is not a linear thing

I use a point system

+1 if it is posted (effort made)
+1 if it is coherent
+1 if well written technically, in Pros, and use of language (half point if it's just ok)
+1 if well done in terms of narrative and structure (half point if it's just ok)
+1 if I like it

Usually round up if its a 0.5. Unless I actually hate the story, then I round down

TheMonotonePuppet

There is no discussion. To think otherwise is to be wrong. This is an objective fact.
Lol. No it ain’t objective. It could also be representative of a fraction. 3 Stars out of 5. Math can lead you to multiple conclusions. I love that this is the hill you are choosing to die on.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
In my case. No, and yes.

I haven't rated anything on here but on NU, I generally treat it as a story being a 3. If there is something terrible about it, it drops to a 2 (and so on). Good stuff gets stars. But stuff has got to absolutely rock my world to get a 5 so I usually end up rating mostly 3s and 4s (and it skews everything cause I'm evil). Obviously, it's gotta be pretty bad to get a 1 as well. Really, really bad gets no stars.

That being said, I generally don't rate if the story is really bad. I just write the review. I think I've only done that like twice.

TheEldritchGod

Lol. No it ain’t objective. It could also be representative of a fraction. 3 Stars out of 5. Math can lead you to multiple conclusions. I love that this is the hill you are choosing to die on.
Show me the math where you come up with a different average. I am honestly interested in this.

TheMonotonePuppet

Show me the math where you come up with a different average. I am honestly interested in this.
I didn't come up with a different average, so I apologize if I disappointed in terms of failing to meet the mathematical intrigue.

Nnot sarcasm by the by! Genuine! I know it's frustrating when it sounds like someone came up with something interesting, be it a potential mistake of great hilarity and idiocy, or very rarely, an actually enlightening idea, but in turns out you are simply talking about different matters:cry:.

I came up with a different perspective, using percentages. 1 is 20% of perfection (1/5), 5 is 100% perfection (5/5), and 3 is 60% (3/5).

TheEldritchGod

I didn't come up with a different average, so I apologize if I disappointed in terms of failing to meet the mathematical intrigue.

Nnot sarcasm by the by! Genuine! I know it's frustrating when it sounds like someone came up with something interesting, be it a potential mistake of great hilarity and idiocy, or very rarely, an actually enlightening idea, but in turns out you are simply talking about different matters:cry:.

I came up with a different perspective, using percentages. 1 is 20% of perfection (1/5), 5 is 100% perfection (5/5), and 3 is 60% (3/5).
The correct way to see it, if you are using that method is 1 is 10%, 3 is 50%, and 5 is 90%. So it would be impossible to ever reach 100%. In your method, you are assuming that 0 exists, which it doesn't. Your math only works if it's 0 to 5, when it is actually 0 to 4, but the numbers are shifted up one.

It would be more accurate to say 5 is 100%, 1 is 0%, 2 is 25%, 3 is 50%, and 4 is 75%. You are assuming that 1 is at least something, when 1 is actually 0.

It would be the same if it was 5 to 9. Or if you counted by 7 and started at 10 to make: 10, 17, 24, 31, 36. one of the values has to be 0%, one has to be 100%, so the numbers in between are spread out to be equidistant.

Besides the 1 to 5 isn't a percentage, but realitivististic. There is very bad, below average, average, above average, very good. It usnt supposed to be an absolute scoring system, but a realitive one. Everyone has different ways of seeing numbers when I comes to subjective judgements, but if you make it realitive, then the differences in math are canceled out.

It isn't to judge the value numerically, but subjectively.

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
To me, 3 is average so long as we don't count 0 as a rating, though there's a lot of different averages you can go for here, and none are more correct than other. I personally separate any ratings I might make into the technical rating and feeling rating.

In regards to stories, even if a story is rather badly written, like it has bad plot or inconsistent worldbuilding, it may even get five stars for the enjoyment and idea. On the other hand, even if I enjoy a story, I may give it two stars because there's a lot of problems with prose that may not affect the enjoyment, but are objectively mistakes or at least aren't good - and they don't have to be anything major.

In both cases, you can find at least three things - the average rating for the reviewed stories, an average story among all those revieved (yep it's a different thing) and how other compare to it, and a global average with its place on the scale (then you can further divide those up, and it's like that meme).

For my personal ratings, the way I usually do it is that 3 stars mean a story that has multiple flaws that make smooth reading impossible, but the scale I'm generally using is one that starts at an unreadable story. So the first average would be probably around 3-4, the second 4, and the third probably somewhere around 3. Hard to say for sure though.

2wordsperminute

Some people will see 3 stars and think that means something is bad. Yet another failure of the American education system. Clearly, a 50% should be a passing grade in order to eliminate this mindset of mid being bad.

TheEldritchGod

Some people will see 3 stars and think that means something is bad. Yet another failure of the American education system. Clearly, a 50% should be a passing grade in order to eliminate this mindset of mid being bad.
Oh. I agree. We live in a society where telling someone I don't care about you is grounds for getting sent to HR for harassment. If I don't care about you, I have no EMOTIONS about you. Yet, saying you don't care means you hate them. No. I have to care to hate you. I have to care to love you. If I don't care, I have no feelings at all. I am neutral. But being neutral is the same as hate these days.