A foggy journey

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Have you ever read a book that gave you the sensation that you, the readers, and the protag were walking on a foggy forest. The fog was too thick to see more than several steps ahead. The forest was too great that sunlight couldn’t reach your face.

In this place, not even the gentlest of breeze existed. You were assaulted by the silence and the odourless scent of nothing. You were frightened by the deadness of the trees and fallen logs. The brightness was just enough for you to recognise the shape or the lightness of the colour, but far from making it easy for you to inspect the details.

You encountered people on the way. The largest group, you didn’t need to use more than one hand to count the number. Mostly, you met a single person either resting on the way, going the opposite way to you, or cutting through your path. They all wore different attire belonging to different times and places. Some were annoyed because of not knowing the way to take. Some were scared… by many things: not knowing the purpose of them being here, not knowing what to do, not knowing what were ahead, discouraged by the darkness, etc. Others were dejected and had given up. The rest were lost by whatever mean of the word.

No one tried to follow you nor allowed you to follow them. Furthermore, if you tried to stalk somebody, you would always lose track of them.

And the sound and voice you heard, be it far away out of sight or from people who were talking right in front of you, were greatly amplified, stretched, echoing.

You have never encountered any danger or dreadful things on the way but this off-putting feeling in your stomach would never leave you alone.

You were disoriented by the silence, the lack of direction. The blurry experience that your fuzzy memory found it hard to accurately recall the precise details. The empty space were so suffocated for being too expansive. Your mind felt like it was having hay fever being forced to witness all the happenings that had familiar traits but also unfamiliar and out of place characteristics.

It made the entire walk unreal like you were in a deep dream. You got the feeling of adventurous while reading it but also an uncomfortable feeling because you reasoned that this kind of adventure was not made for the human mind.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

The closest most recent story I have read is

Another close one is a manga called shimeji simulation

But really, only you can write this story and only fpr yourself. You are being too specific to expect more

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
The closest most recent story I have read is

Another close one is a manga called shimeji simulation

But really, only you can write this story and only fpr yourself. You are being too specific to expect more
I guess I was looking for an experience unlike others.
The sense of not knowing what lies ahead but not in an exciting but dreadful way.
The fact that nothing has ever posed a threat to you keeps you forever on edge as you contemplate on whether you should go on or sit down in this strange place. Neither of those was more preferable than the other. Staying in one place means stretching your sight and hearing to spot if something (possibly danger was nearby). Moving on means subjecting oneself to a gamble where one of the outcome was finding the way out and the other was utter hopelessness of witnessing the unchanging scenery regardless how far one goes.
The travellers you see on the way offers no relief since they were as lost as you. Furthermore, their states of mind tells you that you too will devolve into such sorry mess. The people you met were less of an offer of comradeship but testimony of how deep you were in this desperate situation.
Then there was the fact that what you has seen were familiar. The trees, the ground, the people, etc. they were not unfamiliar to you. What was strange was how they were all combined. Clothes of different ages and cultures. Fog that was too thick it was strange. Dead was around you yet you smell nothing. No one knew who were the others and why they were here.

I just remember that I drew this from a teaching of the afterlife. Those whose good and bad deeds were balance would walk a strange place where they met people they believed they knew but weren’t. It gave them an uncanny feeling that frightened them making them feel lost.