A funny experience with a fan translation

killwrites

Need motivation
This is purely just for me to share my recent experience with a fan translation and also ask how did you guys deal with fan translations (if you dealt with them)

I chanced upon this website https://tl.rulate.ru/ where some Russian was translating my work without my knowledge. This isn't talked much about in the forum, so I didn't know how I should feel about it. I think my emotion can be best described as a mixture of happiness and confusion, I suppose (why would anyone translate a story that's barely getting views?). I wasn't angry or anything, since after all, this is the Internet, but I thought it wouldn't have hurt to drop me a message telling me about it lol

So, I decided to (not so) subtly tell the translator that I know about the fan translation in the next chapter just for fun. And wouldn't you know it, today I went back to the website and found this message:

The translation is put on deletion and will be deleted after approval by the moderator.

Did I scare the guy too much? I wonder...

Just curious, what are your experiences with fan translations?

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
I was curious by the link and I found my fanfic too :s_eek:
How to contact the translator? He made the cover as something indecent and that was putting me off.

I made my OC character as a Vtuber (like my profile) but he changed it into 18+ characters. And he said that the MC was like on the cover.

I just want them to change the cover~

Tropic_Panda

I doubt someone will translate my work, but if someone do it, I don't give a damn as far as they don't monetize it, not to Indonesian or Chinese, not to other form (picture, etc.), mention my name and the original english version site (RR, SH, or both.)

Last edited:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
..................... //Side-eyes NU and the hundreds of translations of Chinese/Japanese/Korean novels from self-publication sites without the original authors' permission and/or knowledge :blob_whistle_two:

Yeah, I'd be a hypocrite if I were bothered about translations of my work. I mean, as long as they link back it's all fine to me.

Also, the site is listed as slightly risky by McAfee. I didn't bother to click on it to see if my stuff's there, so there you go. Ignorance is bliss, and I am a woman of bliss. Have never personally trained a Blissey though.

Tropic_Panda

Well, there is a time i worry that someone will translate my work to other language or steal it, but then i realize, it's almost impossible to track, monitor, and counter it without proper measure and resource.

So i decide, if someone enjoy my work, i'm already happy, and if someday i get support from people who enjoy my work, that's a bliss and fullfillment that someone finaly recognize my work.

Also, for every work, i will only publish it online up to 2-3 volume, for the next volume i will keep it for my supporter only, or maybe there are some minor publisher that will interested in buy it.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
This is purely just for me to share my recent experience with a fan translation and also ask how did you guys deal with fan translations (if you dealt with them)

I chanced upon this website https://tl.rulate.ru/ where some Russian was translating my work without my knowledge. This isn't talked much about in the forum, so I didn't know how I should feel about it. I think my emotion can be best described as a mixture of happiness and confusion, I suppose (why would anyone translate a story that's barely getting views?). I wasn't angry or anything, since after all, this is the Internet, but I thought it wouldn't have hurt to drop me a message telling me about it lol

So, I decided to (not so) subtly tell the translator that I know about the fan translation in the next chapter just for fun. And wouldn't you know it, today I went back to the website and found this message:

The translation is put on deletion and will be deleted after approval by the moderator.

Did I scare the guy too much? I wonder...

Just curious, what are your experiences with fan translations?
I actually got contacted about 6-7 months ago by someone asking permission to translate one of my series into Russian. Never bothered to ask where they’d be posting it but apparently it was here.
I was curious by the link and I found my fanfic too :s_eek:
How to contact the translator? He made the cover as something indecent and that was putting me off.

I made my OC character as a Vtuber (like my profile) but he changed it into 18+ characters. And he said that the MC was like on the cover.

I just want them to change the cover~
Woah, the Russian Google translate to English actually has improved punctuation and grammar in some areas for what I saw in your prologue.

Last edited:

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
there is two obvious angles to this are either they are fans of your work who want to make the stories they like availible to a bigger audience or they see ths as an easy buck they could make. while i couldn't say about the others it's very clear to me what the case is for raizar's story

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Woah, the Russian Google translate to English actually has improved punctuation and grammar in some areas for what I saw in your prologue.
Well, I have no time to rewrite it. That was my first attempt to write:blob_whistle:

Kitsura

People can translate as much as they want. If it weren't for the translations people wouldn't have read my book anyway.