Writing A Question About Time-skips

• Thread starter Deleted member 54065
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54065

Yesterday, I learned a lot of useful tips when it comes to using time-skips in writing. Please do forgive this old man for asking, since I really wanted to write properly for my few readers.

Now then, there's a particular suggestion I saw in a thread reply about time-skips. It piqued my interest, since the reply said "There should be a story 'in-between' the years of the time-skip".

While I already written around 3/4 of my 15th Volume, which deals about six years after the events in my 14th volume, I can write some interesting parts 'in-between' that builds up to the current world situation in Book 15.

Now, my question is, should I do it to 'build up' more on the lead up to V15? Is it necessary? Please take note that time is of no issue, since I can always devote my schedule and efforts writing it.

Edit: Please forgive me if I reply late. I'm currently driving. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 54065

Meh. I'm a play by ear kinda guy.

Are you doing the time skip to "get to the good part?" Is the part you skipping "boring"? Then don't worry about it.
Most likely yes.

Because after the events of V14, there's nothing much that has happened, save for my races progressing faster (technologically) because of the actions of the main character from Volumes 1-14.

Then Book 15 deals with six years after MC's death, where he has 'apparently' returned.

Echimera

Similar to worldbuilding, it's probably mosat important to have more than a rough outline of what happens during a timeskip at the very least. As in, you have notes or something similar of that, not necessarily that you bombard the readers with that stuff.
Especially for bigger changes to established characters or groups, you'll want to have an idea of the why and how, if only to make sure that the changes and what you build from them in the story have internal consistency.

How much of that you actually show in the story is up to you, just as the when and how of it.
You can bridge the gap with a few intermission chapters, you can throw in a timetable with the most relevant events, or just do the timeskip and give a recap of relevant events whenever they come up in the actual story.

Visual media definitely have an advantage over written media here, as they can convey a lot of stuff in a short montage or something similar, if they want, while even a short outline may take an intermission chapter or two depending on how much new stuff is set up there.

D

Deleted member 54065

Similar to worldbuilding, it's probably mosat important to have more than a rough outline of what happens during a timeskip at the very least. As in, you have notes or something similar of that, not necessarily that you bombard the readers with that stuff.
Especially for bigger changes to established characters or groups, you'll want to have an idea of the why and how, if only to make sure that the changes and what you build from them in the story have internal consistency.

How much of that you actually show in the story is up to you, just as the when and how of it.
You can bridge the gap with a few intermission chapters, you can throw in a timetable with the most relevant events, or just do the timeskip and give a recap of relevant events whenever they come up in the actual story.

Visual media definitely have an advantage over written media here, as they can convey a lot of stuff in a short montage or something similar, if they want, while even a short outline may take an intermission chapter or two depending on how much new stuff is set up there.
Well, I do have a plan of how things will go in my work from start to finish. My initial plan is just do the time-skip, though yesterday I saw that thread reply and I thought, "this sounds good."

My only worry is that, if I put in those in-between chapters, my work might become tedious/boring to the readers. Basically, those chapters are meant to show the progress made by the races in my story, in the aftermath of the MC's death in V14, as a lead up to V15.

Echimera

If you find that some of the events taking place during the timeskip are worth telling in detail, you can always go back to that and release these as a side story.

D

Deleted member 54065

If you find that some of the events taking place during the timeskip are worth telling in detail, you can always go back to that and release these as a side story.
I see...

I can collect them in a single volume about some side events to elaborate more on the entire story. Thanks for this! 😍😁