About the influx of translations.

Should translations be allowed.

• Yes.

• No.

• Only when posted by the original writer.

• No MTL or Google Translations.

• Yes, but they need to have the original Title in the Synopsis.

• Yes, but they need to be tagged as a translation.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IanWhite2105

There seems to be an influx of translations being uploaded on this website. What are your thoughts on translations flooding the site. Should there be restrictions on them, should they be banned, or are there other ways to deal with the issue.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Why ban them? It all started due to the translation, let them be. Even if they make money from it, the author of the said story wouldn't be able to reach us with his/her story anyway.

The only things is, if they are moraly right, they would at least credit the author and write it's a translation.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I'm not quite sure what the exact circumstances are there, but I'm pretty sure novelupdates is the site for translated stories? Scribble, far as I'm aware, was created specifically for original English works as a sister site to novelupdates, which is specifically for asian translated novels. Dunno how strict the restrictions are, but at first glance it looks like whoever's posting them here doesn't care or doesn't know about that. The best way to go about it would probably be to move the stories to novelupdates, but that's most likely more work than it's worth.

IanWhite2105

I'm not quite sure what the exact circumstances are there, but I'm pretty sure novelupdates is the site for translated stories? Scribble, far as I'm aware, was created specifically for original English works as a sister site to novelupdates, which is specifically for asian translated novels. Dunno how strict the restrictions are, but at first glance it looks like whoever's posting them here doesn't care or doesn't know about that. The best way to go about it would probably be to move the stories to novelupdates, but that's most likely more work than it's worth.
The reason I posted this is that I saw about 8 translations uploaded in one hour and was under the impression that that translations weren’t allowed on this site. There are multiple translations in the default top novel section as well.

The reason I posted this is that I saw about 8 translations uploaded in one hour and was under the impression that that translations weren’t allowed on this site. There are multiple translations in the default top novel section as well.
IIRC Translations are allowed but are unlisted and unsearchable

the best course of action is to report the series by pressing the report button and typing "Translation" in the reason.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Translations are allowed by Tony (allows TLs to host without having to fiddle around with free hosting or paid hosting) but they are unlisted and unsearchable on SH while listable on NU. i'm not quite sure how the system works in practice but if you find a Translated novel without finding it via specific link posted somewhere, finding it from the poster's profile or linking from NU, just drop a report to @Tony and they'll look into and fix the situation when they can.

TL;DR: What @Generic.Archdemon said

melchi

What is a custom title?
Yeah what everyone else is saying. People host their translation here and they can be found from novel updates but should be unlisted.

nemonusquam_

Translation is its own art form, just as Fiction, Poetry and Essays are. There's no reason whatsoever they should be banned as long as they're doing it with the original creator's consent and without claiming authorship.

prognastat

I don't have a problem with translations in general. What I have problems with the most is how lazy a lot of them are. It's pretty obvious quite a few of them pop the original in a translation program and don't even proofread the output before posting it and requesting support on Patreon. When that is the case it just feels like it's a grift for money not someone passionate about providing translations for works they think are good.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I think it's fine as long as it's marked as a translation and gives proper credit to the original author and have the authors approval.

J_Chemist

You know, I see that they are Unlisted and Unsearchable, but if I do want to read it--how do I find it? :sweating_profusely: Not that I would, as I probably wouldn't read any of the translated works since they're almost guaranteed to not be my cuppa, but it seems odd to sort of blacklist it entirely. I'd have to dig through all of SH just to find it.

If that's the idea, then I get it, but if I actually do want to read it, it's a pain in the ass.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
You know, I see that they are Unlisted and Unsearchable, but if I do want to read it--how do I find it? :sweating_profusely: Not that I would, as I probably wouldn't read any of the translated works since they're almost guaranteed to not be my cuppa, but it seems odd to sort of blacklist it entirely. I'd have to dig through all of SH just to find it.

If that's the idea, then I get it, but if I actually do want to read it, it's a pain in the ass.
That's the whole point, though, to make it so you can only read it if someone has shared with you a direct link (or you found a direct link for it.)

Go on nuf

Kenjona

Wish the poll was multiple choice, as I had opinions. No MTL/Google translations, Credit to original Author at the very least, no monetization and tagged as translation. Unsearchable/unlisted I am fine with.