Am I the only one who prefer really long anime?

BlackKnightX

I've seen lots of people feel intimidated by the length of One Piece. It's understandable if you're not used to long form storytelling. I grew up watching long anime, so I'm used to it. Not just used to, though, I actually prefer it. The ending is not important to me, I'm all about the journey. When I'm really into a show, I wanna spend time with the characters indefinitely and don't want it to end. When it does end, I'm always left feeling empty. Any of you share the same sentiment?

3 - 6 ep OVA - if it is stand-alone no,.... yes, if it is a follow-up to something I am already watching
12 ep - ok
24 ep - ideal
32 -52 ep - only if it's really good after 12 eps
110 - only for Legend of the Galactic Heroes
150+ - No. only for sitcom-like or episodic I can pick up and drop anytime. e.g Gintama. Conan, kindaichi

TotallyHuman

I've seen lots of people feel intimidated by the length of One Piece. It's understandable if you're not used to long form storytelling. I grew up watching long anime, so I'm used to it. Not just used to, though, I actually prefer it. The ending is not important to me, I'm all about the journey. When I'm really into a show, I wanna spend time with the characters indefinitely and don't want it to end. When it does end, I'm always left feeling empty. Any of you share the same sentiment?
That sounds like it'sgonna be milked to death so no. I prefer stories of moderate length

LilRora

Mostly formless
Depends how long really long is. One Piece kind of long, nope. That's way too much time for me. I generally want a story that engages the reader/audience, and One Piece, as it tends to drag everything out, doesn't do that unless someone's really interested in the story in the first place. I would much prefer something like Castlevania or JoJo or Bleach that's got a lot of action and plot and gets it done relatively quickly and concisely (it also largely ties to my dislike to splitting up tense moments across multiple chapters/episodes, particularly fights, which One Piece does a lot).

Plus, there comes a point when a character kinda burns out. What I enjoy the most is character development and novelty, and there's usually little of that in stories spanning 100+ episodes / 500+ chapters.

That's not to say I don't like them in general, but I'm much more inclined to choose a shorter one over the longer if I'm given a choice between the two.

J_Chemist

I don't mind extended/multiple seasons so long as the anime has two things:
  • An engaging plot that is similar to the source material.
  • A plot that can actually go the distance without fizzling out or getting stupid.
It's a stretch, but Naruto fit the bill for a decently long anime that ended when it needed to. There was plenty of filler to skip and the plot didn't get too convoluted. It also left with a satisfying ending. Boruto ruined it.

One Piece has had good fights and individual moments of cool stuff, but it's a cash cow. That's all it is. Same with Attack on Titan. AOT was supposed to be axed early on but somehow made what, 3 seasons? And the plot went retard midway through to keep the half-assed story afloat.

Gundam is a series that shows how longevity should be done. One over reaching plot (depending on the Universe/Years) with several smaller plots and series to fill in the gaps. Of course, it's not perfect, but it works.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
as long as it remains consistent and is not stupid with itself... sure.. just do be like dragon ball where you up the stake with no plot and at one point every damn character is a universe buster.. that way you completely corner yourself with no way to go and the inconsistencies pile up like the damn karens pleas for a managers in a convenience store

Mrpigeon

I am Sorry to intrude, and I know this isn't the place to ask, but where do I ask questions like for example what advice would you give to a new author who has no experience in writing at all.
I tried to explore scribble hub and forum but I'm lost

Last edited:

HungrySheep

I like yuri
I like long anime as long as it continues to interest me. Certain shorter anime could be longer, especially something like GWitch which had one of the most wtf-paced endings I've ever seen. One Piece just doesn't interest me regardless of length.
I am Sorry to intrude, and I know this isn't the place to ask, but where do I ask questions like for example what advice would you give to a new author who has no experience in writing at all.
Author General. Discussions & Writing Tips.

Arkus86

3 - 6 ep OVA - if it is stand-alone no,.... yes, if it is a follow-up to something I am already watching
12 ep - ok
24 ep - ideal
32 -52 ep - only if it's really good after 12 eps
110 - only for Legend of the Galactic Heroes
150+ - No. only for sitcom-like or episodic I can pick up and drop anytime. e.g Gintama. Conan, kindaichi
Basically this. I like long anime, if it is done well, but really long, especially One Piece kind of long, only if it's self-enclosed episodes I can pick up and drop any time.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was great, it was long, but for the story it was telling, it was just right. It did not rush through the plot, but at the same time it did not feel like they were needlessly dragging it on. There was always tangible progression.
My impression of One Piece is that it pretends to follow a goal, but takes any excuse to drag it on, hence why the manga only getting close to an ending after 25+ years.
Depends what you want to ask? Go to the forum's main page, pick a relevant section and create a thread?

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
One Piece shouldn't be watched...

...It should be read. Then you don't have to worry about pacing issues overall until you get caught up and you need your next fix.

There's something everybody who reads One Piece knows. There are only two sides to One Piece: either it's over 1000 chapters and it seems intimidatingly large or, once you've given it an honest try, you're caught up and there isn't enough One Piece.

I've been having One Piece withdrawal all week. You don't go on break after starting Kuma's backstory at last and weaving into The God Valley Incident! I NEED TO SEE THE DETAILS OF HOW IT PLAYED OUT AND HOW THE PIECES ALL FIT TOGETHER!!!

Mrpigeon

Basically this. I like long anime, if it is done well, but really long, especially One Piece kind of long, only if it's self-enclosed episodes I can pick up and drop any time.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was great, it was long, but for the story it was telling, it was just right. It did not rush through the plot, but at the same time it did not feel like they were needlessly dragging it on. There was always tangible progression.
My impression of One Piece is that it pretends to follow a goal, but takes any excuse to drag it on, hence why the manga only getting close to an ending after 25+ years.

Depends what you want to ask? Go to the forum's main page, pick a relevant section and create a thread?t

Depends what you want to ask? Go to the forum's main page, pick a relevant section and create a thread?
Thankss for replying, i am such an idiot lol. I somehow finally figured it out with your help