Anxiety about writing. Need advice

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carlo.jpg

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Thank you so much.

You do know that even jacking off doesn't help boosting confidence right? also. what

that's a shame then. Your cover looks quite good.
who the hell cares about confidence? Your problem is you give too much of a fuck about what readers might think of your story. I assure you, jack off first and you wont give a damn about anything. Thats what post-nut clarity brings. It allows you to reach enlightenment. Comprehend the Dao and all that. You wont be worrying about what people think when you're too busy contemplating the vicissitudes of life

Daitengu

wdym? Everyone liked Berserk xD!

I'm talking Edgy the Hedgy, Kirito, and remake Dante. You know, try hard edgelords.

Guts doesn't "try" to act cool, or try to look like a badass, and he certainly isn't a "mad at the world" punk. He just does his best.

Mr.Grey-Cat

take a deep breath, and dive.

that's all. honestly, you can't do much to stop fear, lack of confidence, or your anixiety, so just take it slow, and before you think of what others will say about your work, think about what YOU will say, after that, take a moment to imagine what YOU want them to say, and then after day-dreaming for a while, take a deep breath again, and remember.

the thing you fear can happen, and the thing you want can also happen, nevertheless, the things that WILL happen, are always things you won't expect.

maybe you will get a neutral comment from someone, seriously advising you, or a comment about someone disappointed in your work, but believing in you, or you may not even get a comment, you know? there are a lot of possibilities that can happen, so just take a deep breath, collect yourself, have a moment to dream and boost your confidence, then smile, and brace yourself for reality.

because in reality, it's different than fiction, and there is no absolute. in reality, you may get a good review, while sometimes, you may get worse. ones, but even if that were to happen, remember that, as long as you have little confidence, and you love what you have made, then surly you can stand whatever comes your way, be it good reviews, be it insult, or even the absence of readers, why ? because you already have the most important thing a person needs to live.

a passion for your own work, and desire to see it until the end, and as long as you have those two, then no matter what people say, you will always do your best. not for them, not for you, but for your work, so don't let your lack of confidence, and anxiety rob you work, from getting the chance it deserved. instead, just boost your ego for a while, then shut your mind from all the other though, and only look ahead, where your ideal result is, and start crawling toward it already.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Hello. I'm very new to writing novels, and I'm pretty worried/anxious about what will the reader response to my story.

Have you writers had this feeling or something similar to this before? I thought that I should write what I want, what I think it'll be best, and what I want to show the world through my story, yet it still gives my anxieties.

Need a lot of advice. Thank you.
There are many reasons for anxieties and many solutions. What works for one, may not for another. Therefore finding why you are anxious is the first step. Why you are anxious, what stops your anxieties, etc. The reason being you need to know where your strength and weaknesses lie, and how you feel. We aren’t ascetics, removing yourself from your emotions and the world around you will most likely hurt you more than if you don’t.

The second step is to find a way to work with your anxieties, while trying new things. This way you can find out what works and what doesn’t. If watching a cat video before writing calms you down, than do so.

The last step is to find a way to use your anxiety. This may be in editing, coming up with scenarios, and/or just venting. A common misconception is that a good actor has no stage fright, but that is wrong. The good actor, who practices the ins and outs of their lines, emotions, and delivery, will no doubt be anxious about failing. Yet, they use this anxiety to heighten their performance, for it is sometimes hard to be convincing in your performance. You feel fake, but the good actor may pick up their anxiety and mold it into their desired emotion.

Who knows though, you may just need to focus less on others, and more on yourself. Everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another.

EternalSunset0

Hello. I'm very new to writing novels, and I'm pretty worried/anxious about what will the reader response to my story.

Have you writers had this feeling or something similar to this before? I thought that I should write what I want, what I think it'll be best, and what I want to show the world through my story, yet it still gives my anxieties.

Need a lot of advice. Thank you.
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Because everyone starts out that way to an extent.

Of course we all care about reader response. That's why we post stuff here. Otherwise, the stories will just be buried inside our MS Word or whatever processor program we have.

Regardless, what's important is taking the first step. Just write what you want, see what happens. And don't think that popularity is indicative of quality. I have seen some amazing writers here barely crack the number of reads/readers that some of the top stories that I think are way worse have. There are legit good stories that struggle to hit triple digits in readers, so while it's very fun to look at stats, don't let it determine your self-worth as a writer or something.

If it's anything, you should prioritize finding support somewhere, and you can build from it. This thread alone has a lot of people willing to help you already. You're in good hands, I think.

If you're afraid people won't like it, think that there could be someone who will eventually like it. If you're afraid of it being cringey and stuff, there are people out there who would support you. Heck, I don't know how many there are who think this way, but I personally never cringe or criticize someone's work if I can see the hard work and passion put into it. I find it disrespectful, and rest assured, I won't be like that.

Not sure if this works for you, but this a pic that I really take to heart and keeps me going

TheProphet

Thank you everyone for your advices. This site probably has the best community ever.

Also I nut everyday please don't tell me I'm not horni enough lmao.