Are stories where the protagonist is not involved in romantic relationships rare?

OP1000

Hello!!!!

Is it just me or are stories which feature protagonists that do not want to be involved in a romantic relationship uncommon on Scribblehub?

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
I was about to say... media-wise, stories centered on the villainess or side characters are quite commonplace nowadays. However, I don't have the statistics on stories with unromanticized protagonists.

I'm sure it's hard, especially for amateur writers (most writers on webnovel sites) to not romanticize their characters because of the constant portrayals of passion in their favorite drama shows, movies, and books. They think just because a male and female interact with each other, whether it be a few times or over a long instance, they'll grow feelings for the other. Does this happen in real life? Sure, I suppose. Does every character need a love story? No, and some characters grow better with the romance aspect.

If you want to write a story with romance not being one of the key aspects, go ahead. We need more courageous writers like yourself in our field. However, if you feel romance makes every story better and must be implemented, I don't blame you. A good portion of readers feel that way, and a blossoming love story sells like hotcakes.

fluffypie374

OP1000, pull a solo-leveling story for us, and we'll say its level of OPness is 1000. :blob_uwu:

BTW... does the popular smut novels common on Scribble these days count as romance? Is that also based off of portrayals in shows, movies, and books these days? :blob_hide:

OP1000

OP1000, pull a solo-leveling story for us, and we'll say its level of OPness is 1000. :blob_uwu:

BTW... does the popular smut novels common on Scribble these days count as romance? Is that also based off of portrayals in shows, movies, and books these days? :blob_hide:
:ROFLMAO:That first comment made me laugh!

In my opinion, smut stories can count as romance stories if the smut allows for the romantic relationship between two characters to grow. Otherwise, I do not see that being the case.
I suppose. But I don't see your point.
From your observations while reading on Scribblehub, are the stories with romance more prevalent than stories where the protagonist is not in getting into a relationship?

ACertainPassingUser

Mushishi (anime)

The mc, Ginko, isnt really involved himself in other affairs and bussiness. He just do his job properly as Mushi and only do things that are necessary.

Let alone making romance, he barely msking friends.

There's rarely any villain, most of the time it's just human fighting nature, or standard conflict. Its very grounded despite its fantastical theme.

Definitely story made for adult.

AYM

Average cilantro enjoyer
Mushishi (anime)

The mc, Ginko, isnt really involved himself in other affairs and bussiness. He just do his job properly as Mushi and only do things that are necessary.

Let alone making romance, he barely msking friends.

There's rarely any villain, most of the time it's just human fighting nature, or standard conflict. Its very grounded despite its fantastical theme.

Definitely story made for adult.
OP is asking about stories with no romance on SmutHub.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
:ROFLMAO:That first comment made me laugh!

In my opinion, smut stories can count as romance stories if the smut allows for the romantic relationship between two characters to grow. Otherwise, I do not see that being the case.

From your observations while reading on Scribblehub, are the stories with romance more prevalent than stories where the protagonist is not in getting into a relationship?
I don't know. Like, what is romance?

Like my MC is trying to get back his dead wife and daughter. Is that romance?

What if the romance isn't the MC but a side character?

OP1000

I don't know. Like, what is romance?

Like my MC is trying to get back his dead wife and daughter. Is that romance?

What if the romance isn't the MC but a side character?
Romance as in the kind typically written in slice of life stories, the ones that have feature a lot of moments where the couple of the story (main character or side character) cuddle with each other and other similar romantic events.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Romance as in the kind typically written in slice of life stories, the ones that have feature a lot of moments where the couple of the story (main character or side character) cuddle with each other and other similar romantic events.
I rarely see any story that doesn't address romance in some way, shape, or form. I rarely see it is the focus, however.