As a reader, how important is an author following a schedule?

As a reader, how important is an author following a schedule?

• I don't care. I just scroll through my reading list every now and again and see what's updated.

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • If the author always posts on a set day, I will check that day.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • If the author posts on a set day and hour, I will keep that in mind and check.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Something else (reply in thread)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
I'm very much in the: "I don't care. I just scroll through my reading list every now and again and see what's updated." group.

Authors often get the advice to post at the same time and same days, but do readers actually pay attention and make use of that information?

Last edited:

AutumnPlunkett

So, as with everything it depends on the person. However, I will admit to looking forward to my favorite series getting updated only to be disappointed if they don't update for several weeks in a row. If it's a more established author who explains they're working on editing so they can get published and sets a clear timeline for when there will be updates again I can wait it out. However, I'm not going to keep a story in my library and keep showing up every update to support an author that comes across as a flake.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I'm actually just squatting here to see the answers.
Had specifically one reader on RR ask me more than once about my schedule, when it's always written under my synopsis. Everyone else either doesn't care or doesn't mention it. So I wonder if it actually matters to many.

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
I’ve realized that schedules just never work out for me. I’ve tried doing it with plenty of things, and it has never turned out well. So, while I’d prefer if the author doesn’t upload 1 chapter every month or so (me), I won’t complain, because writing is hard.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
It entirely depends on how much free time I have.
Right now, there is a few stories that I will read only minutes after they come out, because I can. But most of the time, it is more "whenever I get around to it, making sure to not let the one story that is removing previous chapters (I want to annihilate Kindle Unlimited and their exclusivity clause) doesn't get too far ahead.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
I try to wait a little while between checking to build up a backlog of chapters versus drip feeding one at a time.
As a reader it is frustrating when there is no schedule and can be a month between updates.

foxes

Depends on your interest. There are works from which you expect a continuation and for the sake of it you come every day checking for updates. But you don't always have time or mood for that. Some stories are endless and the thirst to know the continuation subsides, switching attention to others. It is best to read completed works, or ready to publish a large volume. But that's debatable. Big breaks make it impossible to get back to reading. Therefore, it is desirable that there are updates at least once a week. Of course I will check them on the day they appear.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
You could look at the current results and say, it doesn't really matter, only about half of the readers care. On the other hand, you're actively handicapping your reader base by 50% for not keeping a schedule.

I've done a short writeup on why it matters, but diving into the minutia of reaching success might be worth making a thread.

Long story short, you should make every possible effort to gain new readers. You're competing with hundreds of authors for limited reader attention. In short, while you can find singular counter-examples for all sorts of "advised rules", generally, anything that kicks the trend in one rule generally obeys nearly all the others.

If you voluntarily skip over one potential benefit, you're actively handicapping your success chances. That's fine, and it depends on what your goals are as an author. However, 99% of complaints I see as an author are "How do I get more readers" or "How do I get people to comment" or "Please review my story to tell me why I'm not getting readers". Usually, they're ignoring 5 or 6 advised practices, in addition to other problems.

Sylver

I have a set schedule to post, but I'm often late when it comes to posting on that time. Usually 30 minutes late heh. Besides, I noticed people don't actually check my stories until the day after I post. Might be because of my tardiness though, in hindsight.

I write cuz it's my hobby and I want to entertain with my ideas. If in the future I set up a donation page and start gaining currency from this, better believe I'll take my schedule serious and write content a week ahead of time just to be sure my fans are eating good haha!

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
As a reader, I prefer to accumulate chapters and then read them all at once, so I don't mind if the schedule isn't constant as long as the author continues to post.

As a writer, it's better to have a well-defined schedule and stick to it. Many readers appreciate that.

Ruti

Your toes are now forklift. Get licensed now!
I both check notifications and the set time. If I’m actively following a novel and I know it updates at a certain time I’ll check in then to read it the moment it published. Unless I’m sleeping

Hopper

Intruding Person's account, yes.
Me: I will publish chaps in a set time!
Procrastination: *Menacingly stares at my soul with static T-Pose in the corner*

beast_regards

It doesn't matter.
The Royal Road obsesses over it because it is important in order to game their algorithm, and you need every little help possible to get at least some views.

aattss

I've heard that it's good for algorithms, and if people are trying to make a living I won't fault them for worrying about statistics, but I personally don't really care. And this probably varies from person to person, but I'd especially hope it doesn't impact their mental health or the quality of their writing.