• The The

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ezekial

• Shake Like Me

• Total voters

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

A while ago, James Rolfe made a video review of the classic animated show Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The review kinda bugged me because he seemed to misunderstand the show like many other reviewers misunderstood the show.

The thing about ATHF is that it isn't necessarily just a goofy show about fast food items going on wacky adventures. It seems that way at first, and it is fairly funny, but there's a level of depth to it that is very easy to miss.

It helps to understand that the people who created the show had just spent nearly a full decade working on Space Ghost: Coast To Coast, which is arguably the show that codified many of the tropes associated with adult animation these days and might have been one of the most influential cartoons ever made. They had done the 'stoner-humor' thing for years, and they seemed to grow a bit resentful of the college-kid demographic they had been appealing to with Space Ghost.

The main characters of ATHF don't know their age, and it seems that their ages are not consistent episode-to-episode. However, they are pretty much always depicted as being in their 30s or older, while Carl is depicted as being old enough to be retired, or semi-retired. This is significant in understanding the brilliance of the show. Basically, every character in the show is older than 30, with no real achievements in their lives. They live in the cheapest house, all of their possessions are trash, and they don't have any friends they interact with outside of their depressing bubbles.

It's a very depressing show if you look just a bit below the surface-level, and that's why it's so great. Pretty much every joke in the series in punctuated in some way by the depressing reality that these characters live in. From the extreme lengths that Master Shake will go to in order to lose his virginity (again, he's at least 30 years old), to the feeble mental-state of Meatwad (he's cute and funny because of a mental disability), to the fact that Frylock lives in a literal slum despite the fact that he could be very successful if it wasn't for, well, racism (people won't hire him because he's a french fry).

An episode I like to point out that perfectly showcases why people miss the subtext in the show is the notorious Hand Banana episode. It is an episode featuring Carl being raped by a dog multiple times. If you don't want to look beneath the surface-level, you could just leave it at that, and just see it as an episode filled with gross-out humor derived from a taboo thing happening. But, that's not the real joke of the episode. The REAL joke is that Carl is a fat, hairy, old man that no one would ever find attractive, except for Hand Banana the dog, who finds him irresistible, and for some reason genuinely cares about him even though Carl has such an abrasive personality. Hand Banana is a kind-hearted, talented dog who, for some bizarre reason, is so overcome by his lust for the disgusting ogre known as Carl that he becomes a dark creature who is completely unable to resist the temptation to ravage Carl's gross body.

The thing is, I think that people misunderstand what 'depth' is these days. If a character is literally saying (or being told) "I'm/You're depressed because (insert monologue about the person's psychology, written by a psychology student, and/or copied from Wikipedia)" that isn't necessarily depth because there's really only a single layer to that. There's nothing 'deeper' than the surface-level in that scenario. Sure, that kind of stuff is 'important', but it isn't deep. Anyone from your 5-year-old nephew to your 75-year-old grandmother could understand it because there's no subtext that they might not understand.

However, with ATHF, it's so easy to miss the subtext and completely misunderstand the show, in the same way that it's easy to misunderstand the first Postal game (trust me, it makes more sense when you realize the voice you're hearing is actually the voice in the Dude's head telling him to kill people, rather than it being his own voice).

I think that, as writers, it's important to remember this kind of thing and take lessons from it. What lessons you chose to take are up to you, because that's how you develop a unique style.

Anyways, that's all I wanted to say this time.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
ATHF was okay, and Space Ghost was awful. Hell, Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law was meh on it's best days and I still got more amusement out of it than Space Ghost.

Still, the worst thing Adult Swim ever aired to me was ANYTHING by Tim and Eric. I'm still baffled on whatever the hell anything they make is about. The only thing any of them made that was even remotely amusing was that weird spy show-thing Tim did...or was it Eric?. I get them confused now. Currently, the main shows I've been extremely surprised I enjoy lately is 12 Oz Mouse. I liked the old one even though it's animation was just...ouch. The new one though...is good too. A little more SciFi-ey but pretty nice.

An old bud of mine was a major Squidbillies Fan. I didn't care for it, but he'd quote me shit all the time.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

What is the meaning of ATHF anyway?

It's somewhat of a warning. Basically, it's saying: "This could be you someday if you don't get your life in order. You could become a 30-year-old virgin living in poverty in an awful home if you spend your 20s doing nothing but smoking pot and expecting opportunities to land in your lap."

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

ATHF was okay, and Space Ghost was awful. Hell, Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law was meh on it's best days and I still got more amusement out of it than Space Ghost.

Still, the worst thing Adult Swim ever aired to me was ANYTHING by Tim and Eric. I'm still baffled on whatever the hell anything they make is about. The only thing any of them made that was even remotely amusing was that weird spy show-thing Tim did...or was it Eric?. I get them confused now. Currently, the main shows I've been extremely surprised I enjoy lately is 12 Oz Mouse. I liked the old one even though it's animation was just...ouch. The new one though...is good too. A little more SciFi-ey but pretty nice.

An old bud of mine was a major Squidbillies Fan. I didn't care for it, but he'd quote me shit all the time.

12 Oz. Mouse is actually one of my favourite cartoons. I used to avoid it because of the animation style, and the fact that YouTube critics like Enter and Strider called it one of the worst cartoons ever made. But, then I noticed that it was getting some pretty high 7-8/10 ratings by 'real' critics. I was like: "Why? What makes this show so special?"

Then, I watched it. I wasn't expecting it to be like a cross between Twin Peaks and Doctor Who.

Mandark

Season 2 was the best season, ‘Revenge of the Trees‘ is probably my favorite episodes followed by ‘Total Re-Carl‘.

As for the over arching theme of the show, I didn’t think about it as much as you, but I’d say it’s that you should expect bad results when you’re doing bad.

It’s kind of like It’s Always Sunny, in that all the main characters will get their comeuppance. That doesn’t mean Shake/Frylock/Meatwad are always starting the initial conflict, but it’s rare for any of them besides Meatwad to be a passive player.

JayDirex

YOU NAILED IT! Bro, but I loved Squidbillies. (my mom is from Darlington, SC, and maaan there are "hill folk" out there. both black and white that act like Early!)

Loved Aqua-teen
Harvey Birdman had his moments

But TIm and Eric and Dr. Brule....idkwtf they were thinking.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: THE VENTURE BROTHERS (first 2 seasons- GENIUS), SuperJail , Mr. Pickles, Morel Oral ,and The Professor Brothers.

Good Times~

JayDirex

It's somewhat of a warning. Basically, it's saying: "This could be you someday if you don't get your life in order. You could become a 30-year-old virgin living in poverty in an awful home if you spend your 20s doing nothing but smoking pot and expecting opportunities to land in your lap."

Frylocke had a computer...so there's that :blob_okay: :blob_sir:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
YOU NAILED IT! Bro, but I loved Squidbillies. (my mom is from Darlington, SC, and maaan there are "hill folk" out there. both black and white that act like Early!)

Loved Aqua-teen
Harvey Birdman had his moments

But TIm and Eric and Dr. Brule....idkwtf they were thinking.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: THE VENTURE BROTHERS (first 2 seasons- GENIUS), SuperJail , Mr. Pickles, Morel Oral ,and The Professor Brothers.

Good Times~

Oh shit I forgot about Venture Brothers. I dropped out of that like season 5 because the Monarch and the Venture Father somehow made peace and then it just got wacky and kind of lost the original premise. SuperJail always loved that. New season is supposedly on the way. Looking forward to that. Mr. Pickles....man I don't even XDDDD

Never cared for Moral Orel. He's the kind of guy I would have watched slip downstairs and been like good riddance. I doni't remember the Professor Brothers.

Ooooh shit what about The Oblongs!!! Man I miss that one. Been nearly 5-6 years for that one....

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Season 2 was the best season, ‘Revenge of the Trees‘ is probably my favorite episodes followed by ‘Total Re-Carl‘.

As for the over arching theme of the show, I didn’t think about it as much as you, but I’d say it’s that you should expect bad results when you’re doing bad.

It’s kind of like It’s Always Sunny, in that all the main characters will get their comeuppance. That doesn’t mean Shake/Frylock/Meatwad are always starting the initial conflict, but it’s rare for any of them besides Meatwad to be a passive player.
I always wanted to get into watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia but I was always gone somewhere when it came on. Missed out.

Mandark

I always wanted to get into watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia but I was always gone somewhere when it came on. Missed out.

It’s on Hulu now, despite the obvious differences they‘re pretty similar in terms of humor. Now that I’m thinking about it more, there’s a bunch of times ATFH didn’t get their comeuppance (or if they did initially theyll settle it by the end of the episode) - in Sunny though, schemes always backfire on be Gang. So while the humor is the same, the end results are opposite.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Oh shit I forgot about Venture Brothers. I dropped out of that like season 5 because the Monarch and the Venture Father somehow made peace and then it just got wacky and kind of lost the original premise. SuperJail always loved that. New season is supposedly on the way. Looking forward to that. Mr. Pickles....man I don't even XDDDD

Never cared for Moral Orel. He's the kind of guy I would have watched slip downstairs and been like good riddance. I doni't remember the Professor Brothers.

Ooooh shit what about The Oblongs!!! Man I miss that one. Been nearly 5-6 years for that one....

Moral Orel always seemed like a show that really pretentious people would enjoy. Orel is the most blatant Gary-Stu I've ever seen. He's good at everything, everyone (except the bad people) loves him, and he's nice to everyone because he questions the bad religious stuff. It isn't hard to see the subtext there.

"Religion bad, Atheism good! Atheism smart, religion dumb."

Last edited:

Xiaoshen

Oblongs, man, totally forgot about that one. Good show. Everybody was an abomination against nature but it was so wholesome.