Bad reviews

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Due to real life problems I am not currently able to publish, however my buddy RecklessDawn has began to write a story. RecklessDawn is a historian with a Bachelors in American History, a Masters in Political Science and is a PhD student for Psychology. He recently received a review and wrote this, how should he have handled it.

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
I'm sorry about your friend. While they may be qualified to talk about that stuff, trying to be political irl is one of the big no-no's of publishing webnovels.

Seriously, long-running webnovels here have had their reputation ruined by trying that.("He would fights with monsters is one, I think?). Let alone something with such niceh tags.

I suggest they just go tradpub, if they want to find an audience for their works.

Aader

I'm sorry about your friend. While they may be qualified to talk about that stuff, trying to be political irl is one of the big no-no's of publishing webnovels.

Seriously, long-running webnovels here have had their reputation ruined by trying that.("He would fights with monsters is one, I think?). Let alone something with such niceh tags.

I suggest they just go tradpub, if they want to find an audience for their works.
Thing is, he isn't trying to be irl political, his story is set in an alternate timeline where Texas is independent and controls SOCAL. He's rather upset.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I think he should educate himself about people of the internet. If he’s smart and objective like you say, why is he bothered by “uneducated opinions”.

Aader

I think he should educate himself about people of the internet. If he’s smart and objective like you say, why is he bothered by “uneducated opinions”.
Hmm. Good point. He is sensitive to being mislabeled, like myself he's been to areas where being called something you're not can land you a beating. He was my back up when I was a journalist.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.

On a more serious note: both your friend and the reader need to grow up.

The latter is because of ranting about something that only has 2 chapters, with an average word count of 500ish. Plus playing in an alternate history world. Over sensitive nonsense.

Your friend needs to chill too because getting worked up by one such comment will not do well for his mental health. Start getting used to it if he writes anything that is a bit out of the comfort zone of normality for the majority.

My fantasy story had a few chapters with slaves in it, and immediately got some comments about it. Solution? Don’t interact. Write your story and let it play out.

Judging anything from 1500ish words is utter nonsense anyway.

LORD_SHAXX

On a more serious note: both your friend and the reader need to grow up.

The latter is because of ranting about something that only has 2 chapters, with an average word count of 500ish. Plus playing in an alternate history world. Over sensitive nonsense.

Your friend needs to chill too because getting worked up by one such comment will not do well for his mental health. Start getting used to it if he writes anything that is a bit out of the comfort zone of normality for the majority.

My fantasy story had a few chapters with slaves in it, and immediately got some comments about it. Solution? Don’t interact. Write your story and let it play out.

Judging anything from 1500ish words is utter nonsense anyway.
Pretty much this. You gotta have thick skin when publishing anything especially if it's gonna be online for anyone to see and even more especially if it's gonna be based around certain historical events that may be a pain point for some people.

The only advice I can give your friend is to put a disclaimer in the description of the story. that way the people that read it can't act like they didn't know. I do this and it worked out fine.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Due to real life problems I am not currently able to publish, however my buddy RecklessDawn has began to write a story. RecklessDawn is a historian with a Bachelors in American History, a Masters in Political Science and is a PhD student for Psychology. He recently received a review and wrote this, how should he have handled it.

"RecklessDawn is a historian with a Bachelors in American History, a Masters in Political Science and is a PhD student for Psychology."

"***[Due to my first reviewer being unable to read, I have to add this. I am not, nor have I ever been an Apologist for the Confederacy.]**

The world is reeling from the Second World War, and thanks to General Patton going rogue, the US exists as a solo superpower. Communism was crushed in Russia and China, creating a false sense of security."

:blob_hmm_two:

:blob_hmm_two: I will be honest, all of this reads so strange. The chapters are incoherent, to say the least. The author is constantly backtracking and justifying their choices through the chapters. This is just so strange ...

PS Patton is a dog whistle ...

Last edited: