Badges for done reviews

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
So, I am doing quite a few reviews, and it would have been nice if I got a badge to keep track of them. I think that, if there was a ranking with people who did reviews, more people would give feedback on this site. Everyone likes badges, right?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i can see that in no way WHATSOEVER how people will abuse the SHIT out of this system

come on, we all like recognition and all but we got RoyalRoad for that already, and RoyalRoad's reviews, more often than not, come off as an obligation than an actual sincere overview, just because there's a numerical system behind it to make it worth the time.

we can make a compromise and employ the same points system we already have in the forum, but badges just seem tacked on, if you ask me.

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
Like that wouldn't end in floods of whining authors saying the system encourages people to unfairly bash their novel just to have said something.
I don't bash the novels I review. I can't see anyone bashing novels just for a badge. The badge would be a nice touch, is all.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I think that there could be a middle way between this. Like, authors get titles (I'd assume this is what the OP meant with 'badges', I don't think we need a separate badge system. Just use the titles for that since they're already in place.) for the number of their readers. With reviews, I could see how giving titles for reaching specific numbers might encourage abuse of the system. But giving some incentive for writing reviews might not be bad either.
Like, if I look at the first page of stories ranked by popularity, some stories don't even get ten reviews, others barely have one or two (despite having 100k-200k words so not being some kind of new-ish hit). Heck, we have a full 43 pages (!) of finished stories without a single review. You can check that through the series finder: https://www.scribblehub.com/series-finder/?sf=1&cp=completed&sort=reviews&order=asc&pg=44 (This is sorted by series status completed, reviews ascending, and links to the page where we finally get stories with at least one review.)
So IMHO, reviews should be a bit more encouraged. I'm not sure if titles/badges would be the way but I think it could be one possibility to give a try. Personally, I could imagine two ways that this might work:
  • Giving readers a title for having written at least one review. Most readers would likely do this anyway and if somebody hasn't, I'd think they would simply go and review something recently read or something they like a lot if they really want the badge/title. This would not lead to a lot of engagement but if it encourages at least a few people, I think it would be helpful as a start.
  • Make it qualitative instead by giving titles for certain numbers of well-liked, existing reviews (ETA: meaning, whenever a review or a specified number of reviews receives a certain amount of likes) since those should be higher in quality and have likely helped other readers decide on what they want to read. Of course, we'd need to decide at which point a review could be considered worthy of that. (ETA: This might be complicated by the fact that we can't dislike reviews as likes would simply accumulate over time.)
Now, I'd personally also love to see something that encourages readers to write first reviews on a story (because, again, we have over forty pages of non-reviewed finished stories ...) but I'd say that this once again encourages abuse of the system, unfortunately. At the very least, I can't think of a good way to implement that.

SailusGebel

Make it qualitative instead by giving titles for certain numbers of well-liked, existing reviews (ETA: meaning, whenever a review or a specified number of reviews receives a certain amount of likes) since those should be higher in quality and have likely helped other readers decide on what they want to read. Of course, we'd need to decide at which point a review could be considered worthy of that. (ETA: This might be complicated by the fact that we can't dislike reviews as likes would simply accumulate over time.)
Though I agree that reviews with a higher number of likes might help more readers, they are in no way higher in quality. It's the same as saying that the higher the rating of a story, the better that story is. The quality of a review is subjective.

I think that authors should act themself if they want reviews. For example, in an author's note, you can say that for every new review, you would release an additional chapter. It would only help popular novels, but the measures you thought of won't help unpopular stories either. If a reader gets a title for writing one review, why do you assume readers would write a review for an unpopular work(with no reviews)?

yansusustories

Though I agree that reviews with a higher number of likes might help more readers, they are in no way higher in quality. It's the same as saying that the higher the rating of a story, the better that story is. The quality of a review is subjective.
Yeah, qualitative might be the wrong word. I don't mean it in an objective kind of way either (e.g., has to follow rules of what a good review is or something) but "how helpful is this review for other readers" because I think that would be the job a review has here on SH. (So we're actually thinking of the same thing, I just phrased it badly.) The number of likes would be the only indicator of this that we have so that would be what I would go for if any kind of title/badge for writing reviews was to be implemented.
But again, this would need some very careful consideration in regard to how many likes would be necessary to receive a title/badge. I haven't thought about this in detail but my first impression would be that this likely only makes sense in comparison to the overall number of reviews or readers. But then, the playing field for receiving the title absolutely wouldn't be fair anymore.

It would only help popular novels, but the measures you thought of won't help unpopular stories either. If a reader gets a title for writing one review, why do you assume readers would write a review for an unpopular work(with no reviews)?
I don't, frankly. We can't influence what readers review or not. I do think that with several small changes, writing reviews in general might be encouraged though and that could help not-so-popular stories. Actually, even my hope for that is low but I don't think anybody is helped if nothing is done. So if there is a chance to incentivize writing reviews without having to implement much (e.g., I'd think new titles should be easy to do since the system itself is already in place), it can't hurt to go for it.

Anyway, I just wanted to put the idea out there because of the worry that people would just try to game the system (which yes, I think so too). I think there can be a way to go about this that wouldn't encourage that too much while giving a slight incentive to review. I don't think it would matter much though. Most readers simply don't want to take the time out of their day to write reviews and I don't think a title/badge would change that for too many of them.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Going back to this, since we're talking about being recognized for reviews here, a latest review list wouldn't be so bad, no? I'm thinking of a layout where both the reviewer's profile AND the reviewed story get put on a list, and people would go check it out. It doesn't prop up frequent reviewers with arbitrary medals but rewards them with communal recognition. Maybe a word limit like 100 words would prevent easy "lmao dis story good go read" reviewers from getting streaks on that list.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I can confirm that this is true. Gebel bashes everything. When he was in school, he bashed the teacher's work.

On topic, I don't think this is a good idea. You'll probably end up with a bunch of people reviewing stories they ain't read just for the badges.

yansusustories

Going back to this, since we're talking about being recognized for reviews here, a latest review list wouldn't be so bad, no? I'm thinking of a layout where both the reviewer's profile AND the reviewed story get put on a list, and people would go check it out. It doesn't prop up frequent reviewers with arbitrary medals but rewards them with communal recognition. Maybe a word limit like 100 words would prevent easy "lmao dis story good go read" reviewers from getting streaks on that list.
I think I'd personally like this kind of approach even better, actually. But I think it was suggested before already? I feel like I saw a thread like that once ... Not sure what came of it though.