Writing Bite Size vs Lenghty Chapters

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Just curious. How does a novel get trending? Is it something with the readers hitting a bunch of favorites for your chapters, is it comments, or is it something else?
It's not like my novels need it but I always wondered how SH algorithm determines it.

I'm assuming my stuff doesn't get trending because I have them tagged as NSFW
'Tis a mystery.

My theory is there is a points system with attrition.

Getting a favorite is worth x, getting a view is worth y, getting a reader is worth z.

Every day the total is checked, and then ranked. Getting front page removes some % of your points, less for lower ranks, less still for not front page. If you're on front page you don't gain points for that day (seemingly).

Then you also lose points every day by default and it seemingly scales with the number of readers you have. By not publishing for a day, you deal with the higher attrition, which makes trending harder.

Just my theory.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I end a chapter when I feel like it but at least I reach 1k words at the minimum requirment. So my chapters list are a mess with some over 2k and other with 1k.

Bobple

For reading.
Anything really. I do find 4000+ to be harder to read, for web novels anyway. But if I know the story has long chapters then it isn't much of a problem.

For writing.
Current story I aim for about 1.3 to 2k.

But I do want to experiment with different sizes. I'm currently drafting a story with variable chapter length. Which usually means its on the shorter side, 800-1200 average.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
'Tis a mystery.

Getting a favorite is worth x, getting a view is worth y, getting a reader is worth z.

Every day the total is checked, and then ranked. Getting front page removes some % of your points, less for lower ranks, less still for not front page. If you're on front page you don't gain points for that day (seemingly).

Then you also lose points every day by default and it seemingly scales with the number of readers you have. By not publishing for a day, you deal with the higher attrition, which makes trending harder.

Just my theory.
:blob_frown::blob_dizzy:

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
'Tis a mystery.

Just my theory.
Yeah I'm sure SH doesn't want someone to game the system and flood out everyone.

needleman

For those writing:
How many words per chapter do you normally aim towards?

For those reading:
Does the word count affect your choice in stories?

For me personally, I keep each chapter at shorter length, as a great way to challenge myself; depicting each story bit in fewer but well picked words, crafting each plot point with carefully written sentences. Some of my story on here have between 300 and 500 words, others between 600 and 800. And I also have unpublished stories with well over 1500 words per chapters.

But since I first started publishing on Wattpad, I've observed a large amount of people reading on the go; be it during work breaks, or when using public transit, many prefer bite size chapters that can be finished in a short amount of time. So when I started publishing some of my stories here, I didn't change the length for any chapters.

And I know that can be a big no-no for some, but if a short chapter manages to get to the point, with good writing and a clever structure, is a shorter length still problematic?
For writers, the appropriate number of letters varies for each chapter. There are those who shorten it to the point of 400 words, and there are those who cross the barrier of 2000 words, like my friend, in one of his chapters he wrote 5000 words, and it was a difficult thing. So the class average is from 1000 to 2000.
As for the readers and their choice, this is an important limit, yes it affects, but it does not prevent them from reading and completing the work, whatever it is. Only there are those who want to go deeper, and there are those who want peace, and each of them relies on his own taste and choosing his appropriate words to attract readers.
As for your experience in publishing and writing, it is appropriate and beautiful, and I agree with you in the last sentence. Yes, the short and interesting chapters, which contain something meaningful and important, can shorten you thousands of words, and all of them will be characterized by the negativity of ending quickly only.

If you have novels from your writing, send them to me so that I can read them and give you my opinion about them and learn at the same time

C_A_D_M_U_S

For those writing:
How many words per chapter do you normally aim towards?

For those reading:

For me personally, I keep each chapter at shorter length, as a great way to challenge myself; depicting each story bit in fewer but well picked words, crafting each plot point with carefully written sentences. Some of my story on here have between 300 and 500 words, others between 600 and 800. And I also have unpublished stories with well over 1500 words per chapters.

But since I first started publishing on Wattpad, I've observed a large amount of people reading on the go; be it during work breaks, or when using public transit, many prefer bite size chapters that can be finished in a short amount of time. So when I started publishing some of my stories here, I didn't change the length for any chapters.

And I know that can be a big no-no for some, but if a short chapter manages to get to the point, with good writing and a clever structure, is a shorter length still problematic?
As a writer, I'm not conscious about the word count. I just write and end the chapter when it's appropriate. But I noticed that my average word count is more or less 3k.

As a reader, I don't really mind the chapter length (whether it's hella long or just average) as long as the story's interesting. But I DO mind if it's extremely short—like less than 700 words short. Normally, I won't read stories with "bite-sized" chapters even if there are a lot of published chapters because if the chapter ended so abruptly, my immersion in the story will get disrupted even if there's a next chapter and I don't like the feeling (just my personal preference).

Objectively, if it's a short chapter that is written well and is able to hook a reader despite only having few words, then there's no problem. Only, it's difficult to achieve that. Still, it's commendable that you're challenging yourself by writing shorter chapters 👍🏼

Lodur

Eight virgin
For those reading:
I'm really trying to keep such things from affecting my choice. Still, I've noticed, that novels with short chapters (1500 words or less) tend to end in my "Dropped" list. Maybe, it's a lack of "personal chemistry" between me and revered authors who like to write concise chapters. For me 2-2.5k words per chapter is comfortable low margin, while high margin is absent. 4k, 10k, or even 20k words per chapter will never disconcert me.

RinDes

Bite size 1k-2k is good if you update daily. However, if it is less than 3 chapters per week, then better to get them above 2k+.

Is that even possible to get people hooked with less than 1k when there are not even a daily update?
Many of my stories have been positively well received, even with chapters containing between 300 to 600 words. On Wattpad, my Thief: Child of Illumination sequel fanfiction has 350 words per chapters, and was enjoyed so much, that people requested a continuation.

As I mentioned above, I think it all depends on how well one can do with fewer words; like some magic tricks, it can be short but quite entertaining.

needleman

I'm really trying to keep such things from affecting my choice. Still, I've noticed, that novels with short chapters (1500 words or less) tend to end in my "Dropped" list. Maybe, it's a lack of "personal chemistry" between me and revered authors who like to write concise chapters. For me 2-2.5k words per chapter is comfortable low margin, while high margin is absent. 4k, 10k, or even 20k words per chapter will never disconcert me.
Dude , ..... a 20k word for a chapter ?! I will die to end this and It becomes more and more desirable to obtain a desire to delve into a detailed tour in a depth that loses its beauty, nothing more for that my opinion, then way dropped ? Just coz Average letters are few or the story were rickety, I would love to hear your opinion

killjoy1307

Many of my stories have been positively well received, even with chapters containing between 300 to 600 words. On Wattpad, my Thief: Child of Illumination sequel fanfiction has 350 words per chapters, and was enjoyed so much, that people requested a continuation.

As I mentioned above, I think it all depends on how well one can do with fewer words; like some magic tricks, it can be short but quite entertaining.
Fanfic catered towards a different types of reader. Different in the sense that the reader already new about most of the back grounds, power system, the important information about the world. So you can directly jump in the story.

When it comes to originals you need to put a lot of words to get the reader accustomed to the world you are building.

However, I have read well loved originals in WN, but they publish two chapters daily, also they are contracted so, pushed to the front a lot.

RinDes

For writers, the appropriate number of letters varies for each chapter. There are those who shorten it to the point of 400 words, and there are those who cross the barrier of 2000 words, like my friend, in one of his chapters he wrote 5000 words, and it was a difficult thing. So the class average is from 1000 to 2000.
As for the readers and their choice, this is an important limit, yes it affects, but it does not prevent them from reading and completing the work, whatever it is. Only there are those who want to go deeper, and there are those who want peace, and each of them relies on his own taste and choosing his appropriate words to attract readers.
As for your experience in publishing and writing, it is appropriate and beautiful, and I agree with you in the last sentence. Yes, the short and interesting chapters, which contain something meaningful and important, can shorten you thousands of words, and all of them will be characterized by the negativity of ending quickly only.

If you have novels from your writing, send them to me so that I can read them and give you my opinion about them and learn at the same time
Some of my stories are available on Scribble Hub, under the same username: RinDes and below, 2 examples for shorter word count.
Resident Evil: A New Nightmare (700 to 800 words) and Thief: Child of Illumination (350 words on average).

Thanks for the reply and offer by the way, much appreciate!

Kindly, Rin.
Fanfic catered towards a different types of reader. Different in the sense that the reader already new about most of the back grounds, power system, the important information about the world. So you can directly jump in the story.

When it comes to originals you need to put a lot of words to get the reader accustomed to the world you are building.

However, I have read well loved originals in WN, but they publish two chapters daily, also they are contracted so, pushed to the front a lot.
Be it fanfiction or original stories, I still keep the same mindset when writing. As I mentioned in my original post, I love the challenge that a shorter word count presents, pushing and honing my skills in order to achieve my goal. But I also have original stories with well over 1500 words, and one ranging between 800 to 2400 (balancing each chunks of 3 chapters, with 2 bigger and 1 smaller).

That's actually how I structure all of my stories: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (which could technically be posted all at once, but I prefer splitting it in 3 parts) as I personal preference. ^_^

Attachments

• RE5.jpg
    RE5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Thief2.jpg
    Thief2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Lodur

Eight virgin
Dude , ..... a 20k word for a chapter ?! I will die to end this and It becomes more and more desirable to obtain a desire to delve into a detailed tour in a depth that loses its beauty, nothing more for that my opinion, then way dropped ? Just coz Average letters are few or the story were rickety, I would love to hear your opinion

I really can't figure out what are you asking me about... :s_frown:
As for 20k word... I'm not joking or even slightly exaggerating. One of the Author's Notes from novel I'm reading (on some friendly site):

Oh my gods, readers. Massive migrane. Better now, but it took a day. Sorry about the late update; this should have been up 12 hours ago, at least. Whoops!
Thanks for reading and supporting <<Name of the Novel>>!
Your votes and upvotes and patronage and reviews go a long way!
And now for a question, for you: This chapter was 12000 words. I could have broken it up into smaller, faster releases.
Do you like the long chapters, or quicker, shorter releases? Personally, I feel the work is better when it comes out in bigger chunks.
Chapter previous to one, from which I copied this AN, was "side" chapter (featuring POV of the character different from MC) and it was around 32k word in length (it was split in 3 parts, because...).

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You can do 1500 word chapters if you publish once a day

RinDes

You can do 1500 word chapters if you publish once a day
To this I will ask: when publishing everyday, is it each part written on the go, and then published right away? Or is it an already completed story, edited and scheduled for a part each day?

For the former, is a higher word count really worth it, if the story continues on, as ideas pop into a writer's mind, but may lead to incoherence and contradicting bits in the long run?

As for the latter however, I can see a higher word count as worth it, since the writer had time to re-edit some parts, and establish a better story structure.

This is a legit question, as I am quite curious as to how other writers process this *word count* factor.

And thanks for your reply, always appreciated.

Kindly, Rin.

groudonvert

I often write chapters that ends on a cliffhanger (generally good ones), so I adapt the length of my chapters to the cliffhanger I have in mind... and if I tried to write shorter chapters nowadays, I wrote over 30 pages for some chapters xD Most of those long chapters include a bit of action (sometime it's mostly action based), so a few pages are dedicated to fights, but they're still very long.

But I don't mind writing short chapters for the sake of one Cliffhanger that could potentially change everything in a reader's mind.

needleman

I really can't figure out what are you asking me about... :s_frown:
As for 20k word... I'm not joking or even slightly exaggerating. One of the Author's Notes from novel I'm reading (on some friendly site):

Chapter previous to one, from which I copied this AN, was "side" chapter (featuring POV of the character different from MC) and it was around 32k word in length (it was split in 3 parts, because...).
I was asking you about why you throw in the short chapters.

So can you introduce me to some of these friendly sites and introduce me to the novel you are reading so that I can understand your point in the long-chapter novels?