BL/GL treated as blasphemy in Ancient world (Xianxia/Magic)

ACertainPassingUser

I don't really care about the GL/BL ship dynamics.

But I want some story where the world treat the same gender relationship as demonic activity or blasphemy that must be punished by any means the rule decree.

Like seriously, Ancient world without Homophobic backward people ?

It like saying kingdom people with fair and square election, or Gandalf with AK-47.

The thing is, the relationship is HIDDEN and they tried their best to hide it from any outsiders.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding

StrongArm

Actually, a lot of ancient cultures were fine with homosexuality. Minoa, greece, the romans, macedonia, the tribal native americans, feudal era japan, ancient china (han dynasty), the vikings, the ancient mesopotamians, and many tribal cultures around the world- All were cool with homosexuality.

Its only medieval europe that hated homosexuality because of christianity, and later on the middle east because of islam.

Also authoritarian countries like modern china, russia ect. hate homosexuality because they are different. Authoritarianism breeds homogeny, and actively oppresses individualism.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Actually, a lot of ancient cultures were fine with homosexuality. Minoa, greece, the romans, macedonia, the tribal native americans, feudal era japan, ancient china (han dynasty), the vikings, the ancient mesopotamians, and many tribal cultures around the world- All were cool with homosexuality.

Its only medieval europe that hated homosexuality because of christianity, and later on the middle east because of islam.
Pretty sure this is wrong.
But hey, vikings killing those accusing them of homosexuality and romans making a joke of those taking the submissive position doesn't mean they disapproved of it I guess.

StrongArm

Pretty sure this is wrong.
But hey, vikings killing those accusing them of homosexuality and romans making a joke of those taking the submissive position doesn't mean they disapproved of it I guess.
its NOT wrong. Romans may have made fun of bottoms because they were less manly, but homosexuality was extremely prevalent in rome.

As for the vikings... it differs by region, in iceland homosexuality was fine as long as you still got married and produced children. in other regions it was considered shameful to be a bottom, but tearing up another dudes ass was considered manly, because you were dominating them.

"During the Viking Age it was not necessarily bad to participate in homosexual activities. In this context, the culture was only concerned with the loss of honor, and the only dishonor came from being the passive or bottom participant in such activities. In fact, there are records of men boasting of taking the active role, which shows there was no stigma attached to it.

The Old Norse term “ergi” (sometimes “argr”) was one of the highest insults. The term literally means “unmanliness”, and accuses someone of effeminacy or unmanly behavior. It was such an egregious insult that accusation was legal reason to challenge the accuser to a duel. And if the duel was refused, the accuser could be outlawed."

There is also some evidence to suggest that if you were a bottom in viking culture and chose to live like a woman instead of a man (dress in female clothes, do female work ect.) then they were treated as women. Its difficult to say with too much certainty, because the vikings dont have much written down, not like the romans- the romans documented EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

its NOT wrong. Romans may have made fun of bottoms because they were less manly, but homosexuality was extremely prevalent in rome.

As for the vikings... it differs by region, in iceland homosexuality was fine as long as you still got married and produced children. in other regions it was considered shameful to be a bottom, but tearing up another dudes ass was considered manly, because you were dominating them.

"During the Viking Age it was not necessarily bad to participate in homosexual activities. In this context, the culture was only concerned with the loss of honor, and the only dishonor came from being the passive or bottom participant in such activities. In fact, there are records of men boasting of taking the active role, which shows there was no stigma attached to it.

The Old Norse term “ergi” (sometimes “argr”) was one of the highest insults. The term literally means “unmanliness”, and accuses someone of effeminacy or unmanly behavior. It was such an egregious insult that accusation was legal reason to challenge the accuser to a duel. And if the duel was refused, the accuser could be outlawed."

There is also some evidence to suggest that if you were a bottom in viking culture and chose to live like a woman instead of a man (dress in female clothes, do female work ect.) then they were treated as women. Its difficult to say with too much certainty, because the vikings dont have much written down, not like the romans- the romans documented EVERYTHING.
Good points, though I'm still not fully convinced. Domination isn't the same as 'I love men', like it is today. And from what I see, it's still a disfavorable position in old society. Many homos were likely derided inside and outside decadent areas. Like what lgbt complain about nowadays without actually knowing how they were treated throughout history. I'm doubtful open and strict homosexuals enjoyed high regard. Mostly used to remind lessers who was top dog.
And yeah, christianity even talks about society practicing this, but you know about that already. There's probably a reason such civilizations fell.

StrongArm

And yeah, christianity even talks about society practicing this, but you know about that already. There's probably a reason such civilizations fell.

Many of those civilizations lasted far longer than our own. They didnt fall becuase they were immoral, they fell because thats just the way of things. Its the height of arrogance to think our own civilization cant fall. Especially yours, christianty is slowly becoming less and less popular every year. pretty soon we'll be the majority, and youll be the minority.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

Many of those civilizations lasted far longer than our own. They didnt fall becuase they were immoral, they fell because thats just the way of things. Its the height of arrogance to think our own civilization cant fall. Especially yours, christianty is slowly becoming less and less popular every year. pretty soon we'll be the majority, and youll be the minority.

At this point I'm realizing i should have just said "stop derailing the topic" in my first reply.
Sorry OP.

Last edited:

ACertainPassingUser

Nobody's really give recommendations ?
Damn.

So the GL/BL stories is always really lacking in those worse development after all. All they can think is really about the world changed and very accommodating for their GL/BL couple like American accepting drug and gun use.

Maybe I can get better answer by asking "hidden BL/GL relationship that isn't revealed to others". But I'm not really that interested anymore.

StrongArm

Nobody's really give recommendations ?
Damn.

So the GL/BL stories is always really lacking in those worse development after all. All they can think is really about the world changed and very accommodating for their GL/BL couple like American accepting drug and gun use.

Maybe I can get better answer by asking "hidden BL/GL relationship that isn't revealed to others". But I'm not real

Sorry. I dont read gay literature so i cant really suggest anything... I do know my history though. It seems like what you are looking for is a story about a gay couple where the world is out to get them. Maybe try searching the tragedy genre combined with BL?