Chapter titles

RyenMC

I've had doubts about whether I should name the chapters or just not do it. Generally, I have seen many authors simply use 'Chapter [chapter number],' some also add 'Volume [Volume number],' and others give each chapter a different name in addition to its number. Does giving them a name or not make any difference in the number of readers or views per chapter?

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I don't personally use chapter titles anymore as it gets too be a bit too much work, since I have a mild neurotic thing where they should have a theme that reflects the content of the chapter and an overarching theme in and of themselves. usually something like chapter 1 - aquatic, chapter 2 - bureaucratic, chapter 3 - Chamomile, etc (a basic ABC theme). others I've done were gemstones, or precious metals, or periodic elements... things like that. I'm also kind of a fan of "general hint" chapter titles. Something like "That one where..."

But as for views and reads I've noticed you want to find a sweet spot of a time to upload, and a good cover image seems to be far more important.

also, shameless self-promo in the forum. simply having a signature with links can make a pretty big difference, even if you're not actively pushing it.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
For me, the only reason chapter titles matter is for when you're trying to find a specific scene you remember and want to reread.

For that, both number and a title that hints at the chapter's contents are VITAL.

It sucks when you have to dig through an endless list of 'Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.' with no context of the contents. On the other hand, the numbers can help give a general idea of where in the story you are.

In my opinion, the best format would be "Volume-Chapter-Title" like "2.12. Something Something". But it's pretty common to leave off the volume for some reason.

If you could literally only have one, it would grieve me a little, but Pick the Title. A little context is better than a list of numbers.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Their lot of opinions, but overall readers like when there at least number for each chapter. You can add title if you want, it's not necessary to be impactful or purely related to the chapter, you can make a title for what happen inside of it, use some jokes title, use some words that have a hidden meaning with the current chapter or even just use some words who appear in your chapter, with the later, you won't spoil anything with your title.

J_Chemist

As a writer with over 100 chapters in my main novel, Chapter Titles are a pain my ass. They're even more of a pain than editing because I can be fully complete and ready to publish, but now I have to come up with some bullshit 7 word or less title for the chapter. And I need to sum up all 4k-20k words in 7. And it needs to be unique. It's blasphemy.

But I do it anyway because it's a chunni moment that I give myself. The cherry on top, if you would.

I number the chapters for reference and to keep things numerical but I assign a worded title also as a sort of 7 word or less summary of what's about to happen. Just enough to be inviting and foreshadow, but never enough to really give away much. However, I know that some titles do in fact give away details in a chapter, especially when I've led up to an event. So, in such cases, I try to excite my readers and wile them up with something spicy or energizing. Especially if there's a fight scene.

Edit: Ah, there was a question. My bad.

There likely is little difference if you add a title or not. However, if you start out adding titles, be consistent and continue to make them. Don't just stop halfway or after a few chapters. Be uniform with your method of publishing. Your readers will appreciate it.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
Ironically, I do label my chapter numbers in draft, but I don't give chapter numbers and only title post edit. I don't know why I do this, I had a reason before but I forgot.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I go
Bk # - Ch [Number][Letter] - [Chapter Title]

Bk is the book number.
Ch is chapter.
The Chapter number is actually the number of the current arc. That started at 1 and goes up until completed.
The Letter is the chapter in the current arc. So if you see Bk 1 - Ch 8b - Leggo My Eggo
You know its the first book, plot arc 8 and the second chapter in the plot arc.

I do this so it is easier to keep track of things. While multiple arcs cross many different books and chapters, there is usually one Plot Arc that is the immediate one. So my current chapters pending are Bk 2 - Ch 30a thru 30f

Although I only just started putting in chapter titles for FTS. I only recently decided to change my format, so I have to retroactively go back and fix everything.

LilRora

Mostly formless
A lot of it is just preference, but it's a very minor thing. If it affects your views in any way, it won't be noticeable, unless you make bad titles - then it'll be.

A bad title is usually a title that in some way spoils the events of the chapter. It's pretty easy to avoid that so long as you recognize the problem, though the border can be pretty vague at times. A bad example of a title is "Defeat against <monster>", a better title is "Against <monster>", and yet better is "Burning ass" so long as it relates to what happens in the chapter.

I personally just don't make descriptive titles, instead do references, but there's a ton of ways to do titles. You can check out The Hopping Celestial Fox on Scribble and what the author did with their titles - that one is an amazing example. Another good example is Infrasound Berserker (not sure if it's on Scribble, if not then RoyalRoad), where each title is related to the chapter, but doesn't actually describe anything.

On the other hand, I've also seen a story where every single chapter is titled "Chapter xx, where <someone does something>". That is a good thing as well if it's kept consistent, though it's easier to fudge things up there. There's a lot of top stories that don't do titles as well, some of them literally on the top of the leaderboards on Scribble.

Last edited:

Goodmann

Do try to put a number in early, especially if your title is long; some tites I follow look identical even in landscape setting. And 'Chap.32' is better than 'Chapter Thirty-two'

Enkiari

The following are simple ramblings of a novice writer.
While I can't comment on whether or not it impacts the view count, a chapter name is helpful for a reader to have a reference on which chapter is which. If they want to go back to a certain event, it is much simpler for them to do so.
As a writer, it helps to solidify a theme the chapter had. When coming up with a title for a chapter, you have to reflect on the contents you have put into it. It helps, at least for me, to keep the mood and its shifts purposeful.

But they are also a pain to come up with. I want to ditch naming my chapter so bad...

Hopefully, this was useful,
Cheers,
Helpful Enkiari

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I used everything and let me tell you, it don't really matter, just give it a number so people know what's next
Proof:
1705400205868.png
1705400214747.png
1705400225332.png
1705400239018.png

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I've had doubts about whether I should name the chapters or just not do it. Generally, I have seen many authors simply use 'Chapter [chapter number],' some also add 'Volume [Volume number],' and others give each chapter a different name in addition to its number. Does giving them a name or not make any difference in the number of readers or views per chapter?
Don't do it. It is a chore to come up with good chapter names if you have a 100+ chapter novel.

wresch

Not only do I label each chapter, but each time I post a chapter on SH I wonder if my old label is good enough, or if I can improve it. I want eyeballs. Somewhere in the future of my fantasies, if I ever do get published, I think my chapter labels will still have value. When they put my book down at the end of one chapter, I want them to pick it up to read the next. Who knows. It might happen.

Attachments

• 0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 13

P.R.S

I enjoy giving mine names, those names always help making the chapter itself more memorable
Like: "hey i like that story, chapter 478 is one of greatest things i ever read" sounds boring

"Hey i have been reading this story also, 'hidden dark part 4' is one of the best chapters" sounds much interesting

But thats a opinion, my opinion

Shyuurin

I number my chapters and give them titles - since each of my stories only gets one chapter a week, I think it's a good way to give readers a little reminder of what the last chapter was about. I don't have trouble with the names either, since I have a formula for three out of four of my stories.
Ginseng + Yew - a question from the text of the chapter
Eitsu's Nine Lives - the name of the person or place that features prominently in the chapter
At the Water's Edge - a reference to a chengyu/Chinese saying
Which just leaves me with I'm not the saviour! to wrack my brains over for chapter titles.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I enjoy giving mine names, those names always help making the chapter itself more memorable
Like: "hey i like that story, chapter 478 is one of greatest things i ever read" sounds boring

"Hey i have been reading this story also, 'hidden dark part 4' is one of the best chapters" sounds much interesting

But thats a opinion, my opinion
this I agree
1705494286830.png