Come, tear my smut-with-a-plot litrpg to shreds (will swap feedback).

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself, no?

I'm confident in my ability to beat sturgeons law with R-18 litrpgs here on Scribblehub, but I'd be more than delighted to know if I can really spin a tale, or if I have my head shoved far up my skeletal... you get the point.

It's just one chapter at the time of writing, but I appreciate any and all honest impressions you can spare me. Feel free to PM me or drop your links here and I'll reciprocate. Don't spare my feelings.

And thanks, kings/queens/eldritch abominations.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/385239/love-and-life-and-lightning/

TrainingArc

I had to reread some parts multiple times cause I found it to be going too fast. But, other than that I enjoyed it a lot, especially the writing. Keep it up chief.

You were offering to critique as well, yes? I wrote this thing on a whim and it's the first story I've ever written. But please, don't spare my feelings. Thanks in advance.

Also, where did you learn to write well? What resources did you use?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
I had to reread some parts multiple times cause I found it to be going too fast. But, other than that I enjoyed it a lot, especially the writing. Keep it up chief.

You were offering to critique as well, yes? I wrote this thing on a whim and it's the first story I've ever written. But please, don't spare my feelings. Thanks in advance.

Too fast you say? :unsure:I see I see. I was worried that it would drag, so I tried to keep it snappy. I'll slow it down a bit, thanks!

Also, where did you learn to write well? What resources did you use?

Brandon Sanderson's lectures on YouTube "write about dragons", the Chicago Manual of Style, lots of YA fiction (stay away from dystopias, embrace fantastical pixie people like Brian Jacques and Tony DiTerlizzi), and even more painstaking hours of practice, anxiety, masochism, and self-hatred. But please find a healthier process than me. I believe in you.

I read your yarn, it's honestly decent, all things considered. Put it through some editing passes and it'll be more than decent. You're dialogue is well-developed, it doesn't feel like the characters are just puppets saying what you want them to say in monotone, which is much harder to pull off than you would think. The only exception to this bit of praise exists early on take this bit:

"I'm fine, Sarah, all right. If you've come here to browse the lab, as usual, just do it quietly, all right. I need to focus right now. And don't drop anything ag- what are you doing?!"

You've already established that Sarah regularly picks through the lab in the narrative and both Peter and Sarah understand this very well, the red section exists solely to make sure the reader understands. But because you've already established this it sounds kind of handholdy and even a bit pretentious. There's a bit of chunky text as well.

Like what I just did to you here. Yes? (sorry)

Lemmie give it a little snippy snip.

"I'm fine, Sarah, alright? If you've come here to browse, just do it quietly. I need to focus right now. And don't drop anything ag- what are you doing?!"

Better? Worse? Use your own judgement, and don't take any of my advice as gospel. I don't know what I'm doing most of the time.

You do have at least one strange tense shift that needs to be dealt with and you can be a bit more efficient with your narration, but I found Remedium to be pretty entertaining. It's on par with most stories on this platform. It has a light, slightly zany tone, mostly due your use of onomatopoeia, a dying art worthy of more respect than it gets, don't let anyone tell you it makes you sound unprofessional, people pay me to use it.

As a fast and dirty tip, you'll usually improve your work by leaps and bounds by simply removing everything that doesn't add description, emotions, or useful information in a text if you aren't actively trimming it already (do this, even for dialogue, most people don't get super wordy... until they do, but you have to be consistent with those types of characters). Simply deleting unnecessary "hads," clunky tangents, and unsure language does wonders for your flow.

Stay awesome!

TrainingArc

You do have at least one strange tense shift that needs to be dealt with

Do you mean the ending with the rat legs? If it isn't, I'd like to know. The rat legs part was intentional since I'm planning it to be a Lovecraftian-esque type of story. Though I doubt I could actually scare anyone.

Thanks for the critique btw, have a nice day chief.

melonpanwarrior

Synopsis:
I like it! Very good spelling and grammar, as well as an interesting writing style. Not much to nitpick on here except that I found myself having to reread some sentences twice to make sense of it. This might just be my ADHD at work though.

Story:
I like that you started off with a quote. Something about the quote seems like it could be worded better, but I can't put my tongue on it. Introduction is very good as well.

Some of your wording in your sentences seems deliberately overly complicated, making it hard for the reader to read. For example 'expire via immolation', 'looping purgatorial farce'. It's as though someone wrote an initial draft of a story, then went through and rewrote everything using more complicated language for the sake of complication rather than rewriting to convey meaning in a better way that simple words can't. Other than that, I actually like your writing a lot in the places where it isn't overcomplicated and your command of the English language is great.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Do you mean the ending with the rat legs? If it isn't, I'd like to know.
Sorry. My bones are slow.

It's this here, near the very tippy top.

She’s holding a paper bag in one hand, and the other waving at me. A woman of average height whose hair only goes as far as her shoulders.

This should be in past tense rather than present tense to match the paragraphs around it. It's not as jarring as shifting tense within the same paragraph, and it technically doesn't violate Da Rulez but just about any editor would tell you to maintain consistency here.

Some of your wording in your sentences seems deliberately overly complicated, making it hard for the reader to read. For example 'expire via immolation', 'looping purgatorial farce'. It's as though someone wrote an initial draft of a story, then went through and rewrote everything using more complicated language for the sake of complication rather than rewriting to convey meaning in a better way that simple words can't.

Ouch, I see. I was trying to play with word connotations to achieve a certain emotion and the only emotion I achieved was confusion. :blob_teary: Will try to keep a watch on that.