Completed stories

MahNose

I don't know if this may impact my writing ability but...I've only read a small amount of finished stories.

I don't know if this is a personal preference, but I tend to avoid finished stories. Why? I don't know either. It's not that I will get attached to it, but I'll probably shake the feeling off for 2-3 days. So I don't know why I'm still not reading finished stories.

And there are completed manga/web novels that I wanna badly read but myself prevents it. Maybe I unconsciously gained a problem back then regarding my condition lmao(maybe because I've read too much one-shots and was craving for more)

Now I'm "trying" to read completed novels to atleast gain experience for the future if I plan to finish my novels.

Underload

If you haven't read any real books then do yourself a favour and read. Don't write anything before you finish ten books. You will come back a better, more sophisticated writer. Believe me.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
One shots can leave you wanting for more but ongoing works can suddenly stop abruptly.

I believe seeing the end of a story can also be so fulling.

Why not go for long works? Like novels that have hundreds or pages? Also, you could go for works that are completed but still uploading.

For sure example maybe go for authors that finished their works but are still uploading them. That way you don't hit the end so fast.

Reisinling

I don't know if this may impact my writing ability but...I've only read a small amount of finished stories.

I don't know if this is a personal preference, but I tend to avoid finished stories. Why? I don't know either. It's not that I will get attached to it, but I'll probably shake the feeling off for 2-3 days. So I don't know why I'm still not reading finished stories.

And there are completed manga/web novels that I wanna badly read but myself prevents it. Maybe I unconsciously gained a problem back then regarding my condition lmao(maybe because I've read too much one-shots and was craving for more)

Now I'm "trying" to read completed novels to atleast gain experience for the future if I plan to finish my novels.
You like the anticipation more then the book apparently (thinking what is going to happen by yourself, anticipation.. edging.. pervert!)
Or maybe you like the feeling of being part of the community
Or maybe you just like thinking about what is g

Aza.Iva

I personally prefer to read finished stories. I have a very addictive personality & if I read not finished story, I'll be constantly thinking about it. I won't sleep, eat or work properly. And God forbid at some point it won't have the twist it was anticipating! It would be equivalent to personal assault. Whereas with finished stories, it's an assault without extra tension of waiting for new chapters. Though, I'd still end up reading them in one sitting. That's not good too. :sneaky:

MahNose

One shots can leave you wanting for more but ongoing works can suddenly stop abruptly.

I believe seeing the end of a story can also be so fulling.

Why not go for long works? Like novels that have hundreds or pages? Also, you could go for works that are completed but still uploading.

For sure example maybe go for authors that finished their works but are still uploading them. That way you don't hit the end so fast.
I plan to read a novel from a past work of one of my favorite author that has atleast 300+ chapters, their writing style is one of my favorites so I'm thinking of adapting to it.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Honestly if you want to get better you should read some traditional fiction, like real books not stuff on the web. Only reading stuff online really skews your development as a writer.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I plan to read a novel from a past work of one of my favorite author that has atleast 300+ chapters, their writing style is one of my favorites so I'm thinking of adapting to it.
I wouldn't look at chapters. I would look at word count.

Like 300 chapters but maybe they have 100k words?

Or a novel with 50 that has 300k words. If i was going for long. I would pick the 50 chapter one.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Honestly if you want to get better you should read some traditional fiction, like real books not stuff on the web. Only reading stuff online really skews your development as a writer.
This.
If you can, go out to a bookstore or a library and read some paperbacks. By their very nature, they're complete works. And they also have the benefit of professional editing and publishing, meaning you're less likely to pick up bad habits.
Back before I had internet access I usually just sat in the school library reading anything that looked interesting and I hadn't already read. Now that I have internet access, I have four folders full of bookmarks that I probably won't ever read because none of them are finished, lol.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
This.
If you can, go out to a bookstore or a library and read some paperbacks. By their very nature, they're complete works. And they also have the benefit of professional editing and publishing, meaning you're less likely to pick up bad habits.
Back before I had internet access I usually just sat in the school library reading anything that looked interesting and I hadn't already read. Now that I have internet access, I have four folders full of bookmarks that I probably won't ever read because none of them are finished, lol.

I have read physical books with errors in them. It is fun to catch them. Makes me feel less bad for my errors if the professionals do them too. :blob_happy:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If you haven't read any real books then do yourself a favour and read. Don't write anything before you finish ten books. You will come back a better, more sophisticated writer. Believe me.
And if you can't afford real books, walk down to your local library!
I have read physical books with errors in them. It is fun to catch them. Makes me feel less bad for my errors if the professionals do them too. :blob_happy:
My husband made a bunch of complaints about one of the books I edited while he was reading aloud to our baby. In my defense, that was before I got a computer program to read aloud the final pass.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I read more physical books in middle school, but I did the same. It was fun.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
And if you can't afford real books, walk down to your local library!

My husband made a bunch of complaints about one of the books I edited while he was reading aloud to our baby. In my defense, that was before I got a computer program to read aloud the final pass.
Thank you for contributing to my self-esteem! :blob_aww:

D

Deleted member 45782

If it's translated, I think it would be much nicer to read if it was completely translated but then again have read ones that were still ongoing (but I don't go after ones that are 1000 ch or 500 ch long, that too much. 300 is a probably where can go up to).

I'm not really on SH for story reading so eh. I only glance at stories on Story Feedback thread on SHF so I don't have to jump back and forth signing in twice on SH. Plus, its those stories that are bout one ch so just coming out yet so don't have lot to read and cuts shorter time for feedback - I get to read something short that won't take too much time and I'll still mostly be on SHF.

If just say reading reading? Then Idc really if its finished or unfinished on SH cause I've seen how NU stories are like and SH is influenced by that in part. But I would not go for ones that soar past 500 chs. Unless I'm really bored and story is good. Have not done that yet.