Copy and Paste it seems.

SailusGebel

People write things that they want to read. It's the site where there is a lot of LN\WN fans. It is natural that people are inspired by those works and write their spin on popular genres\tropes.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I honestly thought this thread was going to be a complaint about someone calling your plot 'copy and paste' lol.

They do say there are no new original ideas for a reason, though.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
They do say there are no new original ideas for a reason, though.
Find me a story about a MC living their life out inside a black hole where they’re having sex with every single thing in the multiverse across all timelines all at one time.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Find me a story about a MC living their life out inside a black hole where they’re having sex with every single thing in the multiverse across all timelines all at one time.
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody + a ton of Sci-Fi. Combining them is different, but just combining old things isn't original.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Originality is not something you will find, and as cupcake mentioned any revenge subplot is not entirely original either. The concept of originality has already lost most of its meaning due to the sheer quantity of literature. You are just calling the kettle black. Even if you are trying to be original, you need to understand that bandwagoning(which is this scene of using popular lines) helps to get views and you are not going to get any shitty motivation if no one reads your works. Of course, you can be original to get readers. But bandwagoning makes it a lot easier and so does smut. So yes tits and one-liners. Throw in an anime waifu and I am sure that even the father who has died in your novel would gladly pick that book up even over his own story. (Sorry if that sounded offensive, I just wanted to joke around while making my point)

MaiStarberries

I hardly think it's fair to use "every cover has an anime girl on it" as a judgment of the originality of stories. That's just an art style preference that's popular with the community on SH and similar sites. You could take the Song of the Lionness books, draw Alanna in an anime art style, and then pop her on the cover like that and it wouldn't change how many similarities the story has or doesn't have to stories here.

But as others have said, the reincarnation thing is basically just a very popular genre or subgenre in a way. It makes up a large number of stories because that's what the user base likes, but I find there's still room for other genres. My story is general fantasy without any isekai or litRPG elements, but it's still gotten more attention in the past couple of weeks I've been uploading it here than it has on Royal Road.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
"I Got Reincarnated As A [Insert random object name here]"
Reincarnated as a condom and made girls pregnant using my [REDACTED]

Hey, still better than my novel's title, "King: Silver King's Echo"

Bruh sounds like a fucking chuuni title if you ask me

MangoNekros

I hardly think it's fair to use "every cover has an anime girl on it" as a judgment of the originality of stories. That's just an art style preference that's popular with the community on SH and similar sites. You could take the Song of the Lionness books, draw Alanna in an anime art style, and then pop her on the cover like that and it wouldn't change how many similarities the story has or doesn't have to stories here.

But as others have said, the reincarnation thing is basically just a very popular genre or subgenre in a way. It makes up a large number of stories because that's what the user base likes, but I find there's still room for other genres. My story is general fantasy without any isekai or litRPG elements, but it's still gotten more attention in the past couple of weeks I've been uploading it here than it has on Royal Road.
But it would change the amount of views.

MaiStarberries

But it would change the amount of views.
Sure, but wasn't the concern about whether this site has creativity/originality in its stories? I'm sure some people put up anime-styled isekai litRPG because they want to be popular while others do it because they're just part of the culture that genuinely enjoys it. I had a much simpler cover originally for my story, but later drew a more colorful one that displayed the characters and may be more eye-catching to the average person scrolling past it. That hasn't changed the way I write my story, though. It's just as original or unoriginal as my skill level is going to make it, regardless of what style I choose for my cover.

Muddy

Creativity, depth, originality, carefully thought out plots, narratives, and character arcs do exist on this site. You will need to dig a little deeper for them though. Popularity, by definition, is acquired most easily when you cater to the lowest common denominator. As a result, the most popular / highly visible novels on this site are often vapid, uninteresting, brain-dead things.

This is nothing special. It's how the world works. It's the exact same reason that only the most idiotic of summer blockbusters score at the box office, while the Cannes nominee struggles to garner an audience in an arthouse cinema. The masses want quick, easy, brainless entertainment. Simple as that.

The lowest common denominator on ScribbleHub is made up of:
  • anime and light novel fans
  • horny teenagers
  • those that feel underappreciated in real-life: self-insert, self-indulgent, and power fantasy contents (Also, reincarnation: easier to self insert into MC without established past)
  • Readers with less care for proper grammar and spelling (young / non-native Engish speaker / never read anything outside of LN / ...)
You clearly want more than just that from your own writing. You basically have three choices: Hold to your ideals, sell your soul to popularity, or try to compromise. Personally, I would advise against selling your soul completely. Popularity is overrated. I greatly prefer a small splattering of fans that I can have a meaningful discussion with about the contents of my works, over a horde of zombies that will complain the second I don't cater to their whims. Then again, I don't try to earn anything off of my writing.

That said, you've already managed two followers in three days. That's more significant than you think, so don't sell yourself short. You really need to expand on your tags though, because you've only got three of those right now. A sizeable chunk of new readers will find you through those tags. Also, link your story in your forum signature if you intend to remain active on the forums.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
This thread really invites to troll.

But as far as overused story concepts go, I think it comes from lots of people liking existing works but seeking to implement their own ideals.
No story is perfect for everyone, but gives inspiration, so the cycle continues.

On the other end of the spectrum you have people who add twists for the sake of not going mainstream.

Kitsura

So here I am, doing my best to make an interesting story about a strong warrior plagued by a creature which haunts his dreams since it killed his father, forever taunting him and sending him on a quest to kill this creature and live a peaceful life from then on but I notice a lot of anime people on covers and "I Got Reincarnated As A [Insert random object name here]" laid around just about everywhere. Like... does creativity exist here...? Or is it people who use one line for like a word and an action and just continue that continuously? And tits.

I mean idk what you consider creativity, but people are allowed to write what they want the vast majority of people don’t actually enjoy reading high concept fantasy or literary fiction.

Reading is entertainment not a college lot course