Writing Dark Fantasy - First Person or Third Person Perspective?

ArcanePunkster

So I'm currently writing something that hasn't been posted on this website or another for that matter. It's dark fantasy as the thread title suggests and I'm sort of stumped on how I should approach it.

At first, I thought it would be better to write in the first person from multiple perspectives because, at least for me, it seemed I lot more effective, especially when trying to get across the gritty and dark side of a fantasy world which dark fantasy is known for, and I'm sort of more comfortable with writing in that perspective as a whole, and I'm not great at the third person writing I just can't seem to make it interesting enough without making it sound boring.

However, the problem is that I'm currently having was when realized that I would have to write battle scenes in a first-person perspective. Now, this isn't so bad that if I was only writing this story from one character's point of view, but as I said earlier I decided to write it from multiple characters' perspectives.

Anyway to get to the gist of this post should 1) just keep it first person and multiple character perspectives 2) limit me to my main character's perspective 3) should I just write battle scenes in third person, but keep the rest of the story in first person or 4) just go full third-person story-telling?

If there are any other suggestions, feel free to let me know down below! And thanks in advance for any help given.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Are you switching between perspectives so much that you can't just do the battle in the main characters perspective? Kinda confused

D

Deleted member 42060

Go full third-person if you’re going to write in multiple perspectives. Third-person works well for fantasies since you have to deal with worldbuilding, and your narration will be more cohesive and cleaner. I’m not going to be like those people who answer, “It depends on you.” Third-person all the way. Since I write low fantasy in a realistic setting, first-person works well for me. (And don’t mix first person and third person. It’ll be jarring.)​

BlackKnightX

So I'm currently writing something that hasn't been posted on this website or another for that matter. It's dark fantasy as the thread title suggests and I'm sort of stumped on how I should approach it.

At first, I thought it would be better to write in the first person from multiple perspectives because, at least for me, it seemed I lot more effective, especially when trying to get across the gritty and dark side of a fantasy world which dark fantasy is known for, and I'm sort of more comfortable with writing in that perspective as a whole, and I'm not great at the third person writing I just can't seem to make it interesting enough without making it sound boring.

However, the problem is that I'm currently having was when realized that I would have to write battle scenes in a first-person perspective. Now, this isn't so bad that if I was only writing this story from one character's point of view, but as I said earlier I decided to write it from multiple characters' perspectives.

Anyway to get to the gist of this post should 1) just keep it first person and multiple character perspectives 2) limit me to my main character's perspective 3) should I just write battle scenes in third person, but keep the rest of the story in first person or 4) just go full third-person story-telling?

If there are any other suggestions, feel free to let me know down below! And thanks in advance for any help given.
Third person POV gives off that kind of movie-watching vibe, while first person POV feels more personal. Doesn’t mean that you can’t make it feel personal in 3rd person POV, but 1st person POV will always come out on top when it comes to intimacy.

You just can’t help it. When you read the word “I” or “we” it gives off the feeling that you’re there with the character, or maybe you’re having a drink with the character themself while listening to them telling their personal story.

Temple

You're going to use third person because you want to cover a whole battle? That means omniscient then. So that's probably why you're having trouble using third person. The preferred modern pov used now is third-person limited, it's a blend of third-person and first-person, essentially someone narrating in third person, meaning if character A is narrating in third person, he can't narrate the heads of the other warriors for example. Like I said, that's the modern development now on pov, and it's probably the best for general purposes method.
Older fantasy do use omniscient, older works actually because third person limited only became prevalent in modern times. Translated WNs/LNs also do omniscient, but that's mostly because they don't have that style in their native language. Japanese LNs for example have the weird first - third person hybrid, where there's an omniscient narrator then it zooms to a specific person. I suppose that's what you're trying to do? For English, that's considered head hopping, which is a mistake of trying to be an omniscient narrator.
Okay, I'm going too technical here.
Anyway, can try learning third-person POV limited if you plan to emulate modern English style on fantasy genre. It's a really powerful style if used well, and if you plan to expand on a Western audience that aren't necessarily into translated WNs/LNs.

ArcanePunkster

You're going to use third person because you want to cover a whole battle? That means omniscient then. So that's probably why you're having trouble using third person. The preferred modern pov used now is third-person limited, it's a blend of third-person and first-person, essentially someone narrating in third person, meaning if character A is narrating in third person, he can't narrate the heads of the other warriors for example. Like I said, that's the modern development now on pov, and it's probably the best for general purposes method.
Older fantasy do use omniscient, older works actually because third person limited only became prevalent in modern times. Translated WNs/LNs also do omniscient, but that's mostly because they don't have that style in their native language. Japanese LNs for example have the weird first - third person hybrid, where there's an omniscient narrator then it zooms to a specific person. I suppose that's what you're trying to do? For English, that's considered head hopping, which is a mistake of trying to be an omniscient narrator.
Okay, I'm going too technical here.
Anyway, can try learning third-person POV limited if you plan to emulate modern English style on fantasy genre. It's a really powerful style if used well, and if you plan to expand on a Western audience that aren't necessarily into translated WNs/LNs.
This story is more directed to people who read WN/LN type of works, but this third-person limited pov sounds like the closest thing I can get to in terms of how I want to write without making awkward decisions in writing style and using a style that I'm not keen on. I'll have to look into this a bit more to get an idea of how it works.

From the sounds of it though it could be what I'm looking for, so thanks for suggesting it.

Temple

This story is more directed to people who read WN/LN type of works
For the SH audience, definitely, the Japanese style works. If you're going to expand to RR, it might also work, but if you really want to spread in RR then better go with Western styles. Harry Potter is third person limited. In fact, compare the first chapter of first Harry Potter book with the rest of the chapters. The first chapter of HP1 is omniscient style, then going forward it switches to limited style using Harry Potter's perspective. Most modern fantasy written in English are really using third person limited. Can try Brandon Sanderson's works, pretty easy to find copies on the internet. It's good to copy his third person limited. Choose his books with huge fantasy battles because I think that's what you're looking for.

ArcanePunkster

For the SH audience, definitely, the Japanese style works. If you're going to expand to RR, it might also work, but if you really want to spread in RR then better go with Western styles. Harry Potter is third person limited. In fact, compare the first chapter of first Harry Potter book with the rest of the chapters. The first chapter of HP1 is omniscient style, then going forward it switches to limited style using Harry Potter's perspective. Most modern fantasy written in English are really using third person limited. Can try Brandon Sanderson's works, pretty easy to find copies on the internet. It's good to copy his third person limited. Choose his books with huge fantasy battles because I think that's what you're looking for.
My only question is third person limited normally restricted to one character or can it be multiple?

If that's the case I'll probably have to tweak for my own uses or I'll simply just keep to a first person narrative and see how it plays out.

Scaver

Don't jump from first to third. It looks unprofessional

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
I feel that it's very amateurish, but this is what I do:
Insert [Character's name + POV]. At least the shift in perspective will not be confusing.

It's boring to stay in the first perspective since it's hard to get deep insights from the other characters that way. But the first perspective offers more intimacy to their readers. They have their pros and cons. Just be mindful that your work must be readable, not confusing, and deliver the messages as intended. This is my golden rule in writing.

RayneStorm

Yeah, it would probably be after every dozen or so paragraphs.
1. Don't switch POVs so often. It's confusing for the reader
2. First person with a lot of head jumping can get very confusing, especially if your characters don't have strong individual voices.

To me it sounds like you're leaning towards third person omniscient but that's a hard POV choice to pull off. I'd suggest going with third person limited and switching POVs with either a scene or chapter break. There is no way to do first person with that much POV shifts so often and not sound like an amateur while confusing the reader
Third person POV gives off that kind of movie-watching vibe, while first person POV feels more personal. Doesn’t mean that you can’t make it feel personal in 3rd person POV, but 1st person POV will always come out on top when it comes to intimacy.

You just can’t help it. When you read the word “I” or “we” it gives off the feeling that you’re there with the character, or maybe you’re having a drink with the character themself while listening to them telling their personal story.

I don't really agree with this. I'm notorious for not liking first person because the main character always comes off as childish and immature and the story always feels lacking to me. Like because we're hearing it from one person, that we only got part of a story. Internal dialogue is usually what makes me end up hating the character. I prefer third person because, like you said, it gives off a movie-watching vibe and as someone who doesn't care about relating to characters or getting to know them like a friend and who just wants an interesting story I prefer this

BlackKnightX

I don't really agree with this. I'm notorious for not liking first person because the main character always comes off as childish and immature and the story always feels lacking to me. Like because we're hearing it from one person, that we only got part of a story. Internal dialogue is usually what makes me end up hating the character. I prefer third person because, like you said, it gives off a movie-watching vibe and as someone who doesn't care about relating to characters or getting to know them like a friend and who just wants an interesting story I prefer this
You’ve written your story in 1st person POV, though~ lol

But I do know what you mean. I quite agree with you, actually. Most stories written in 1st person POV that I read—mostly web novels—usually have immature and childish characters, but that’s not the problem of the POV itself; it’s the characters that you have a problem with.

If you read some traditional novels written by professional writers like Stephen King, Lee Child, or even the great Charles Dickens himself, you’ll find that the characters in those aren’t immature or childish at all.

RayneStorm

You’ve written your story in 1st person POV, though~ lol

But I do know what you mean. I quite agree with you, actually. Most stories written in 1st person POV that I read—mostly web novels—usually have immature and childish characters, but that’s not the problem of the POV itself; it’s the characters that you have a problem with.

If you read some traditional novels written by professional writers like Stephen King, Lee Child, or even the great Charles Dickens himself, you’ll find that the characters in those aren’t immature or childish at all.
I was experimenting with a POV I've never used before. First person and present tense? The hardest POV I've ever written. Let it never be said that I don't try new things. But it's because I've written in first person a few times (including finishing a 6 book series that I've finished and published on Amazon) that I know for sure I don't like this POV style. Though I will admit, I don't think I Will Become a God could be written in third person just because the main character doesn't even have a name at the beginning of the story, so there are some that simply require a first person perspective that just wouldn't work in third (psychological thrillers come to mind). Coming to the end of writing that 6 book series, I really began to wish I'd done the entire thing in third person because the final two books had multiple POVs and I was forced to keep the main character in first person and do all the others in third so it didn't get too confusing. It's not something I liked but I was already in too deep at that point. I'm not a hypocrite, I've just learned a lot through doing that series. I wrote the best stories I could write at that time and I put a lot of effort into the characters and plot, but it's been a year since the final book came out and about 4 since the first and I've grown a lot as a writer since then.

I've read Lee Child and Dickens but I don't like their books (not because of the POV though, I just think Dickens is boring). I've been reading some books on Amazon and generally speaking, I've noticed that the quality of stories written in first person is just not as good as with third, especially when it comes to book with multiple POV changes. It's a taste thing though.

PS. Solar Alliance of Neveah is actually a series I wrote a few years ago. If I had to rewrite it, I'd do it in third person

multiple first pov is a terrible idea. building a character in first takes time and most likely readers will only connect with one or two tops. it'll be a nightmare.

Scaver

I was experimenting with a POV I've never used before. First person and present tense? The hardest POV I've ever written. Let it never be said that I don't try new things. But it's because I've written in first person a few times (including finishing a 6 book series that I've finished and published on Amazon) that I know for sure I don't like this POV style. Though I will admit, I don't think I Will Become a God could be written in third person just because the main character doesn't even have a name at the beginning of the story, so there are some that simply require a first person perspective that just wouldn't work in third (psychological thrillers come to mind). Coming to the end of writing that 6 book series, I really began to wish I'd done the entire thing in third person because the final two books had multiple POVs and I was forced to keep the main character in first person and do all the others in third so it didn't get too confusing. It's not something I liked but I was already in too deep at that point. I'm not a hypocrite, I've just learned a lot through doing that series. I wrote the best stories I could write at that time and I put a lot of effort into the characters and plot, but it's been a year since the final book came out and about 4 since the first and I've grown a lot as a writer since then.

I've read Lee Child and Dickens but I don't like their books (not because of the POV though, I just think Dickens is boring). I've been reading some books on Amazon and generally speaking, I've noticed that the quality of stories written in first person is just not as good as with third, especially when it comes to book with multiple POV changes. It's a taste thing though.

PS. Solar Alliance of Neveah is actually a series I wrote a few years ago. If I had to rewrite it, I'd do it in third person
Ikr. It's hard writing in first pov but i like it nonetheless. It's fun when i write others pov.
I don't know but first pov feels more good to me in terms of quality.
Writing multiple pov? You can differentiate but it's i guess.

RayneStorm

multiple first pov is a terrible idea. building a character in first takes time and most likely readers will only connect with one or two tops. it'll be a nightmare.
The Kane Chronicles is the only story I've ever read that did multiple first person stories well and that's because there were only two POVs and both had strong personalities so it was easy to tell who was talking. It's hard to do and even harder once you start adding in more characters

BlackKnightX

Don’t worry, dude, I’m not saying you’re a hypocrite. I just find it kind of funny, that’s all.

Actually, I totally understand you. I’ve been experimenting with writing in different styles myself. As a reader, though, personally, I love every POVs equally. I just focus on the story when reading. It doesn’t really matter which POVs the story’s written in. If the story’s fun, then I’ll dig it.

Like you said: it’s the matter of taste.