Dark or light stories

Light or dark ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holder-of-the-metal-bat

Do you prefer lighthearted stories, stories with a darker side, or a mix of both ?

For me, lighthearted stories would be like "Beware of Chicken", "Heart of dorkness", "Unfathomable senior", "Cultivation chat group" ... where usually the original character is OP and / or can rely of someone to always cover for him, so you usually feel pretty relaxed in reading these stories. The joke / chapter ratio gets higher the more lighthearted the story is. I would put "Blue Core" here as well, but one could argue it goes in another category. I leave it up to you to give your opinion.

Darker stories would be stories like "Desolate Era", "Terror infinity", "World of cultivation", "Beneath the dragoneye moons", ... where the hero usually always has to fight for his life, to get stronger, and so on. The joke / chapter ratio is usually zero, but sometimes there are some :) Take "The wandering inn", or "He who fights with monsters" for example, they can get very funny at some points in the story, but most of the time your wonder how characters will save the world (and their lives!).

Tell me what you think :blob_hmm:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I kind of like a mix of everything. There will be suffering and joy in turn and lighthearted scenes along with dark scenes. If you can pull off all of these properly in a story then you would be pretty skilled at inflicting emotional changes in readers for your own benefit.

EternalSunset0

Light ones, but dark moments when the plot escalates is good. I especially like happy or bittersweet endings instead of the one where everyone dies or something to make you wonder what the point of the whole journey is.

You know, like Platinum End's ending lol.

Imahermit

Both of the last options, or maybe a lighthearted novel that progressively gets darker!

Florestes

A shard of time embraced by darkness.
As long as I don't have to set my suspension of disbelief completely into overdrive, I don't mind the darker ones. However, I believe that writing a lighter story with a bit of darkness is easier, as there's always a "Deus ex power of friendship" or something to fill in the plot holes when the protagonist shouldn't be able to overcome the situation.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Depends on the quality of the story and my mood. But if I absolutely must choose, then dark stories. Even though it's easy to mess up a dark story, it's still better as the authors don't bombard you with dull, shitty jokes that aren't funny.