Decline in moral standards in web novels

EscLate

I began my reading web novels in my early teens.(14 years old) Now I am 23.
From Chinese cultivation novels to Japanese lightnovels and even korean novels(translated). I have read more books than I could ever count.
Most of it was awesome, opening my mind to possibilities and thoughts that I could never come up on my own.
While at the same time, this is getting tiring. In the early days of translated web novels. They had quality in writing, character development and world development.
But now, it feels like morals are a thing of past.
The worst of all is the fact that low moral standard based novels are promoted extensively while real novels with substance are ignored. This might be my personal opinion. But I would like to hear hear more about this from webnovel authors and readers. Please comment.

Erys

Her Highness
Anyone who lacks feelings of commiseration, shame, and courtesy or a sense of right and wrong is not a human being. Most popular recent translated web novels MCs aren't humans. Have you rejected your humanity today? Free yourself from the shackles of morality!

longer

Balls
There are human MC's who are worse than human.
I think it might have to do with a sort of rise in readers that are moral degenerates. Need to be appeased by constant murder, being a general annoyance, and similar matters. Like a DnD murderhobo essentially. Perhaps they want a extreme escape from life where they're everyone's bitch.

Last edited:

EscLate

I think it might have to do with a sort of rise in readers that are moral degenerates. Need to appeased by constant murder, being a general annoyance, and similar matters. Like a DnD murderhobo essentially. Perhaps they want a extreme escape from life where they're everyone's bitch.
Topics like murder, indecency and others that shall not be named are not the problem. There are great stories that deal these kinds of topic. But, the problem comes when a main character that we are supposed empathize with turn into denegenerate with no redeeming quality.
Bad as in quality? Or do you mean that those novels promote wrong life values?
Yes, while completely ignoring better novels.
Topics like murder, indecency and others that shall not be named are not the problem. There are great stories that deal these kinds of topic. But, the problem comes when a main character that we are supposed empathize with turn into denegenerate with no redeeming quality.

Bad as in quality? Or do you mean that those novels promote wrong life values?
Bad as in wrong life values

longer

Balls
Be specific about "degenerate." Morals can get quite subjective and I haven't seen concrete example provided by you so far. Like the MC could be a sexual deviant, mass murderer, racist, banker, or conservative. And if your personal morals lean a certain way, you could call any of those a person that lacks morals. My point is that we have no clue what you mean exactly by "low moral standard."

Erys

Her Highness
Be specific about "degenerate." Morals can get quite subjective and I haven't seen concrete example provided by you so far. Like the MC could be a sexual deviant, mass murderer, racist, banker, or conservative. And if your personal morals lean a certain way, you could call any of those a person that lacks morals. My point is that we have no clue what you mean exactly by "low moral standard."
In my culture, a "degenerate" is someone who enters another person's house without knocking while also not removing their shoes.
Everyone can be a "degenerate"! Become one now and never have to worry about morals ever again! Live longer than immortals!

EscLate

A degenerate
having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable; showing evidence of decline.

Morals are not subjective when it came to topic like rape. Or do you think that is acceptable by scociety in which we live in.

There are deviants in society, some are good while others are bad. I agree with that.
But why are those bad deviants, who would have been in prision becoming MCs.

SailusGebel

Bad as in wrong life values
Uh, which one? :blob_pat_sad: Whatever, I will answer both.

They don't promote novels of bad quality. They promote novels that fit their criteria perfectly. Obviously, their criteria and yours are different. Also, a lot of readers agree with WebNovel criteria as they read those novels and want more. While you call them trash novels and say that readers don't have decent taste, they call you a snob and say that your favorite novels are simply sophisticated bullshit. Tastes differ. Trying to justify and show the superiority of your taste is pathetic.

Bad as in wrong life values? I haven't noticed it at all. Though I can't judge novels, I've read manga\manhwa for a long time, and I didn't notice such a thing happening.

EscLate

As I said in the beginning. I began reading webnovels in my early teens. I have to reevaluate myself and what kind of mental damage those trash webnovels did to my brain.

And by this thread. I am just saying, web novel is a toxic environment for people to be in. (Nowadays)
Uh, which one? :blob_pat_sad: Whatever, I will answer both.

They don't promote novels of bad quality. They promote novels that fit their criteria perfectly. Obviously, their criteria and yours are different. Also, a lot of readers agree with WebNovel criteria as they read those novels and want more. While you call them trash novels and say that readers don't have decent taste, they call you a snob and say that your favorite novels are simply sophisticated bullshit. Tastes differ. Trying to justify and show the superiority of your taste is pathetic.

Bad as in wrong life values? I haven't noticed it at all. Though I can't judge novels, I've read manga\manhwa for a long time, and I didn't notice such a thing happening.
Do you like Naruto.

JohnDoe9838

By "moral decline" you mean those protagonists who do a lot of horrible things just for the sake of it? The story never justifies it, the protagonist doesn't face consequences, that kind of thing?
If this is what you mean, I guess it's like "longer" says, it's an extreme form of escapism from their reality. It will gratify them to have an edgy protagonist, perhaps.

I mean, I've enjoyed novels like Ernesto Sábato's "The Tunnel," and it's about a guy who's sick in the head who kills a woman. The book starts by telling you that he killed her, and the man narrates how he came to make that decision, his moral decline (if he actually ever had morals to begin with). Absolutely unpleasant, but the book does not portray it as something good or justified, and that is the point: that the reader can empathize with the guy (not in the sense of justifying, but to understand that twisted logic, or to reach the conclusion that it makes no sense to rationalize a murder).