Difference of [LitRPG]'s System & CN Webnovel's System

ACertainPassingUser

I've been reading lots of [LitRPG] and CN Webnovels with various system.

From what I've seen, the [LitRPG] take the system more seriously with more functional features, while CN Webnovels system feels more like some kind of cheap screen status + living waifu system

Of course there's many other stroy like JP Webnovel that have status screen, which were basically FF/DQ based.

That's all I could surmise

What do you think about it ? Any noticable difference you want to share ?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
[LitRPG] is, well, literally an RPG, so there's that.

The biggest difference between those two afaik is that where in litRPGs it's part of the setting, in CH novels it's just a plot device. In Chinese novels the system is just there to aid the protagonist by going "System says: Do this or that" while in most litRPGs it's part of their world that exists for everyone to work (around) with.

aattss

Systems are a cheat power, while LitRPGs are an excuse for adding extra numbers to otherwise generic things.

It depends on the author to make the story good.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
System is a cheat.

LitRPG is just a cheap way for authors to show growth in prowess without actually putting much effort.

Cortavar

I like LitRPGs. They're satisfying that urge to put a value on (power) growth. I know it can be used as a cheap trick, but at the same time it is also a plot device that can enrich a story.

Tropes are tools, they have no inherent value, it all depends on how you use them. And a LitRPG setting is definitely a trope.

I don't really know what CN means (Chaotic Neutral? Chinese Novel?) so I can't really tell if I've encountered them.

What I can tell is that a well-defined system is a powerful narrative tool, especially if it is not the main focus of the story. I don't care much about wether a protagonist raises stats/skills/stuff or not, but I do appreciate seeing the results of their actions translated into numbers.

System quests as a plot device? I'm not a huge fan, but if they're used once in a while for important stuff, yeah, go ahead. A story driven by system quests would feel weird, like a tabletop RPG where the GM insists on railroading the players.