Discussion on Writing Styles

MR_Ethan

I've been told my story reads as if watching a play and I think 'anime'? A few people have said. One of them was hooked by it and the other is my partner overseeing some work. What are your guys' thoughts?

Ever read something that made you feel similar? Did you like it or no and for what reason? Not well executed?

For me, even though both were hooked in onto that style, I couldn't help but feel uneasy being compared to those media.

Novel: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/1093629/arash-the-four-orbs/

Last edited:

Zinless

How do I anatomy
Hey! I'm an amateur writer, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I've read the first chapter of your story and here are my thoughts:

Light novels/Eastern novels often have short, basic descriptions and a heavy focus on dialogue. Your story definitely focuses a lot on dialogue, so that's probably what the comments meant by it feeling like anime. This isn't a bad style at all—it's fast, easy to read, and engaging. However, you've mixed both Western and Eastern writing styles, which can be contradictory.

Your story has detailed descriptions commonly found in Western novels, but they are really short, similar to some Eastern novels. Western novels tend to have narrations with enough detail to give readers ample time to imagine the scene. Eastern novels (mostly web novels) often have short, snappy narration using common, easy-to-understand words to speed up the reading pace (not all Eastern novels, but most of them).

If you want to adopt a more Western style, I suggest lengthening the narration slightly to give readers enough time to imagine the scene. Avoid making it a play-by-play; only describe things that are relevant and avoid mentioning details the readers could already assume. In other words, add details but don't bloat.

If you wish to embrace the Eastern style, avoid complex word usage and keep in mind that the text is meant to be read quickly. You don't want your readers to stop at every word trying to figure out what it means; save complexity for important moments.

Edit: Another thing I noticed is the commas. Ease the use of commas and try to transition your sentences more carefully; commas mean pauses in the reader's mind and you want your story to flow smoothly for your readers.

Zinless

How do I anatomy
With concise verbalization as that? Amateur my ass. Private message me when you can
I'm not really qualified to take a look at your writing in a more critical sense. I still struggle a lot with my own writing, so I suggest checking out the countless feedback threads here instead.

The things I said above were things taught to me by other writers in this forum. They have a much better understanding of the things I noticed and more. Their feedback threads will definitely help you a lot but do avoid the troll ones.

MR_Ethan

I'm not really qualified to take a look at your writing in a more critical sense. I still struggle a lot with my own writing, so I suggest checking out the countless feedback threads here instead.

The things I said above were things taught to me by other writers in this forum. They have a much better understanding of the things I noticed and more. Their feedback threads will definitely help you a lot but do avoid the troll ones.
It's not about being qualified. Us authors need to call one another out in order to improve. Readers aren't writers yet they guide us on what we are doing that doesn't seem very par.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Hey! I'm an amateur writer, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I've read the first chapter of your story and here are my thoughts:

Light novels/Eastern novels often have short, basic descriptions and a heavy focus on dialogue. Your story definitely focuses a lot on dialogue, so that's probably what the comments meant by it feeling like anime. This isn't a bad style at all—it's fast, easy to read, and engaging. However, you've mixed both Western and Eastern writing styles, which can be contradictory.

Your story has detailed descriptions commonly found in Western novels, but they are really short, similar to some Eastern novels. Western novels tend to have narrations with enough detail to give readers ample time to imagine the scene. Eastern novels (mostly web novels) often have short, snappy narration using common, easy-to-understand words to speed up the reading pace (not all Eastern novels, but most of them).

If you want to adopt a more Western style, I suggest lengthening the narration slightly to give readers enough time to imagine the scene. Avoid making it a play-by-play; only describe things that are relevant and avoid mentioning details the readers could already assume. In other words, add details but don't bloat.

If you wish to embrace the Eastern style, avoid complex word usage and keep in mind that the text is meant to be read quickly. You don't want your readers to stop at every word trying to figure out what it means; save complexity for important moments.

Edit: Another thing I noticed is the commas. Ease the use of commas and try to transition your sentences more carefully; commas mean pauses in the reader's mind and you want your story to flow smoothly for your readers.
I feel like this may have been something I went on about some time or another... There's more I could say, and far greater detail could go into it, but that's a good basic setup on it.

MR_Ethan

I feel like this may have been something I went on about some time or another... There's more I could say, and far greater detail could go into it, but that's a good basic setup on it.
You don't mind elaborating on your experience, do you?

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
You don't mind elaborating on your experience, do you?
I might. What exactly do you want to know about my experiences? I can't guarantee I'll answer; it just depends on how much effort I need to put into it. I tend to either be insanely productive or incredibly lazy.

MR_Ethan

I might. What exactly do you want to know about my experiences? I can't guarantee I'll answer; it just depends on how much effort I need to put into it. I tend to either be insanely productive or incredibly lazy.
How would you have responded if he didn’t say anything? What greater detail is there?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I've been told my story reads as if watching a play and I think 'anime'? A few people have said. One of them was hooked by it and the other is my partner overseeing some work. What are your guys' thoughts?

Ever read something that made you feel similar? Did you like it or no and for what reason? Not well executed?

For me, even though both were hooked in onto that style, I couldn't help but feel uneasy being compared to those media.
Care to provide an excerpt. :meowsip:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
No, that's why I am asking.
:blob_aww: So I am not standard. Oh, I see. I meant standard here more in the sense of overall quality. Not in terms of writing style. In the sense, what they write is actually fairly readable, which is a much larger hurdle than it actually seems.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
How would you have responded if he didn’t say anything? What greater detail is there?

Oh, honestly, I wouldn't have responded. Because I've said some stuff in the past, I hate repeating stuff every few months, and going into depth is a time sink. It's why I'd just make a video instead. I do that whenever I'm in the mood or have an incentive to help someone.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Hmm... I can give you my opinion on your writing, but I want to know for certain if you want to hear it.