Do I say countries name directly?

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
I’m planning on writing a zombie apocalypse story (not now though, might be when my main becomes somewhat decent and I get more time).
And I can see some novels avoid saying names like this:

“President! The Ch***se’s government moved all of its surviving citizens to the Ti**t!”
“Clever…” Commented the Ame***an President.

So I’m asking if doing that is necessary or not? (Or maybe I’ll get assassinated?)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i'll be honest man, it seems counterintuitive. like calling Voldemort the Dark Lord. it just makes it seem obvious that you're treading across landmines when there's none. just say it as it is and call it West Taiwan and Americunt.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I agree, I think being blunt works just fine. You can avoid it but I don't see a reason to do so.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Okay, I just don’t understand why some people do it though?
Honestly, I don't know. I guess some people might do it since they might be worried about certain things from politics to racism. Either ways, you do you! Just do what you wish and makes sense to you :blob_uwu:

JDC_OnPaper

Bruv, in one of my prologues I referred to a certain country as a "Big Red Asian country." and Another using the term of "A Shackled but also Free Country."

But it would depend on the story, If it is a Post-apocalyptic story, it would depend on their timline, Before, During or After, for all you know there is a new country or city state, as Maintaining a large country in a post-apocalyptic world is near impossible, but it still depends on what type of apocalypse.

Like For example, in Black Bullet, they still used the Names of the countries, but since Japan was shattered, they used the terms the Tokyo Area, the Osaka Area, etc basically put, they were example of Modern City states, small countries equivalent of one city.

So yeah, you do you, mention the countries if you want, thought just don't diss them.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I don't see why you don't just outright say it? If you're so worried about insulting a country, you probably shouldn't be writing it in the first place then. People are so worried about stepping on someone's toes that they will alter damn near everything about themselves, their vision, and artistic creativity to avoid the possibility. Grow a spine or don't write it.

SailusGebel

Those people who avoid naming countries directly didn't abandon hope that they will strike it big eventually. Thus they are preventively trying to avoid offending everyone. You don't have to worry about it.

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Seems like it, I’ll just use them directly.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I’m planning on writing a zombie apocalypse story (not now though, might be when my main becomes somewhat decent and I get more time).
And I can see some novels avoid saying names like this:

“President! The Ch***se’s government moved all of its surviving citizens to the Ti**t!”
“Clever…” Commented the Ame***an President.

So I’m asking if doing that is necessary or not? (Or maybe I’ll get assassinated?)
Or you could avoid all those problems by having the story set in a different world like ours but not ours, thus making all countries have completely different names from our own.
'-'

As for people who censor names of countries, it's probably people who've read CN's where countries are referred to as A country, or C country to avoid getting in trouble with their own government.
*shrugs*
Just a guess.
'-'

X