Writing Do people prefer a comedic style of writings or a narration style?

esThr

While I (for some peculiar reason) do think comedic style of writing is a bit unprofessional like, I feel like it would fit the story I'm trying to write (or uh draft first in this case) better but I'm a bit torn on deciding which is better

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
If you are trying to write a serious story then narration. If irreverent or a comedy, then use a comedic tone.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Comedy was usually used as an ice-breaking tool, lighting the tense mood. Well, usually. There are lots of people still using comedic openings in their novels. So, except if you made it bad, you'll be just fine.
If you are trying to write a serious story then narration. If irreverent or a comedy, then use a comedic tone.
Oh mighty dragon, what the fudge is Irreverent?

ehehe.jpg

Do tell.

esThr

Can you give example of both?
For a comedic it would be like sarcastic dialogues for example:

As if being chased by a horde of deformed life forms wasn't bad enough, now you are telling me that I also have to do this under a minute or I'll be killed by this incredibly helpful magical spirit guide(real)... Absolutely amazing

And for narration well... it would be like a narration( too lazy to write one in narration)

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

GoodPerson

As if being chased by a horde of deformed life forms wasn't bad enough, now you are telling me that I also have to do this under a minute or I'll be killed by this incredibly helpful magical spirit guide(real)... Absolutely amazing

And for narration well... it would be like a narration( too lazy to write one in narration)
Ahh, I get it.

Do it right, and tell me when you published the chap. Or maybe you can DM me and send me some sheets of the drafts.

The internet is very convenient for learning, if you try.
I am too lazy to type irreverent.

yes.jpg

SailusGebel

Personally, I dislike comedic. Objectively, it depends on the story. For example, if you try to write something serious, drama or tragedy, I don't think comedic will fit.

esThr

Ahh, I get it.

Do it right, and tell me when you published the chap. Or maybe you can DM me and send me some sheets of the drafts.
Well unfortunately I'm still in drafting and it kinda is the first novel I'm writing so it would take a while + don't expect even a novice writer's level of competence

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

Well unfortunately I'm still in drafting and it kinda is the first novel I'm writing so it would take a while + don't expect even a novice writer's level of competence
I understand, comedic is more comfortable to you right now. Go ahead and write it in a way thats comfortable and try to increase your skill as you go. Maybe try not to do a serious work if your hearts not in it.

GoodPerson

You're humbling yourself too much. Now give those drafts to me.

You can't judge yourself. Fish won't admit they're fish, cuz they don't know what species are they.
I understand, comedic is more comfortable to you right now. Go ahead and write it in a way thats comfortable and try to increase your skill as you go. Maybe try not to do a serious work right now if your hearts not in it.
Yo, the dragon is actually humble this time.

What happened? Did someone stole a gram of gold in your horde?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You can still have a comedic story with serious narration. That’s what I’ve been trying to do recently with that dark fantasy story I was told to write. No fourth wall breaks, no self awareness, the source of all the comedy being the world and character interactions.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
While I (for some peculiar reason) do think comedic style of writing is a bit unprofessional like, I feel like it would fit the story I'm trying to write (or uh draft first in this case) better but I'm a bit torn on deciding which is better
Why don't you use both at different points?
In not so emotional moments write more light hearted.
In more emotional moments write more serious.
I personally think that it brings the best of both worlds together (if done with skill), stories that combine these two aspects tend to be liked by me but not many should enjoy it, I'm speaking of mood whiplash by the way.