Do readers pause at a comma?

What do you think?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The_Lonely_Guy

Just wanted to know from the perspective of a reader. Do they really give themselves a pause when they come across a comma ( , ) an exclamation ( ! ) , question mark ( ? ) or other grammatical pauses?

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Based on my personal perception:
( . ) I pause at 0.1 sec.
( ? ) I pause at 0.5 sec.
( , ) I pause at 0.3 sec.
( ! ) I pause at 0.8 sec.

This is just my estimate and most accurate guess.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Because when you read as a reader that needs a comma there, your brain activates something inside of you to make a pause. Like you have a full sentence and you read it aloud and then you feel like there's missing something and its the pause.

reihan

i only look at commas just to look for grammatical error. sorry authors.
but yeah i dont really think a lot about commas.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I find exclamations weird. They are after the information in the sentence has been given. At least in my native language it's placed at the beginning. Makes it feel like I have to re-read the sentence but in a different prose.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
I do always pause when there's a comma

but honestly? I rarely met anyone who could read punctuation correctly. most of them when reading stuff they didn't pause at commas or dots, they pause at the next lines (that one when you wrote a sentence longer than the page width, you go back again to the left and read the continuation of the sentence at one line below it. I hope my explanation make sense)

I do! And not just a small pause, either. Every time I see a comma, I have to get up and go for a walk. Just writing this comment took me almost an hour.

But seriously, I don't think punctuation marks are pacing devices. For me (as a former English language teacher), they are just mechanisms of grammar. Some people care a LOT about correct punctuation. But plenty don't care at all.

(damn, my finger slipped, and I had to go for another walk)

D

Deleted member 57675

Think it depends on the user. If its an extra long sentence with many commas, then will feel like there are multiple pauses in the sentence when reading it. Many pauses in a sentence makes it sound choppy. If that's the case, (and depends on the sentence), then there may be a good chance it needs to be chopped into smaller sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I read like I'm speaking aloud. The comma is not a comma, it's a pause in the flow of speech. It's there to teach you how the sentence should "sound".

I guess for people who don't "hear" the text, it's a waste of time? No inner monologue?

Twistedskald

Comas help you orient yourself within the sentence. More than once I was thrown off about what was happening just because the author didn't place a coma to demarcate between who was doing what in a particular action.