Do you have an inner voice?

Do you have an inner voice?

• Total voters

morhamza

I don't know, it's probably a language barrier making me unable to understand what you mean. Cause the things discussed here sounds more like a mental health issue. Inner voice=thinking? Or not?
Funny thing is I read a fascinating story of a girl who thought she was crazy cause she kept hearing voices, but her psychiatrist later found out it was her inner voice. She developed it suddenly during her teenager years, before then her head was a quiet place.

Now, it sounds normal to me, and most of us that have this cannot imagine how anyone thinks without giving voice to the thought. When I read, when I remember songs, when I write, laying on my bed planning the next day, every waking moment of my life I am thinking something and it takes the form of a conversation with that voice.

For simple things it is my own voice. But songs are sung in the voice of the original singer. Fantasies take the voice of strangers and memories play in a video format, with all the people retaining their original voice.

It was very shocking to learn not everyone functions like this.

SailusGebel

Funny thing is I read a fascinating story of a girl who thought she was crazy cause she kept hearing voices, but her psychiatrist later found out it was her inner voice. She developed it suddenly during her teenager years, before then her head was a quiet place.

Now, it sounds normal to me, and most of us that have this cannot imagine how anyone thinks without giving voice to the thought. When I read, when I remember songs, when I write, laying on my bed planning the next day, every waking moment of my life I am thinking something and it takes the form of a conversation with that voice.

For simple things it is my own voice. But songs are sung in the voice of the original singer. Fantasies take the voice of strangers and memories play in a video format, with all the people retaining their original voice.

It was very shocking to learn not everyone functions like this.
I still have trouble understanding what you mean. I guess it's because I don't have an inner voice? I'm not sure.

morhamza

I still have trouble understanding what you mean. I guess it's because I don't have an inner voice? I'm not sure.
When you read, do you recite the words in your head, or are they just words you see and know the meaning without hearing the word?

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
When you read, do you recite the words in your head, or are they just words you see and know the meaning without hearing the word?
This happens a lot in movies so people should understand this right, when someone is thinking to themself on what they are going to do or what not. So im pretty sure everyone can recite it o.o

AryaX

Nope... When I "talk" in my head, there is no inner voice... When I imagine something "visually", there is no visual imagery of any kind involved... When I "imagine" touch, smell, taste, etc, etc, etc... those "qualia" are similarly missing... :unsure:

What there is, is the "qualia" of characteristics and the "qualia" of meaning, without the "qualia" they are the characteristics and the meaning of...

To be otherwise... would have to be some kind of hallucination... no?

morhamza

This happens a lot in movies so people should understand this right, when someone is thinking to themself on what they are going to do or what not. So im pretty sure everyone can recite it o.o
Shocking eh? Some people see words and nothing else, it is just words on a page. Others read out loud, after years they learn to control the volume of their voice to not be a nuisance to others, and then there are those that recite the words I'm their head.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Out loud or in your head?
I know there is people who narrate their whole actions and other peoples, and everything around them if they are focused on like it was in comic or novel, I know thats meant to be rare.

morhamza

Nope... When I "talk" in my head, there is no inner voice... When I imagine something "visually", there is no visual imagery of any kind involved... When I "imagine" touch, smell, taste, etc, etc, etc... those "qualia" are similarly missing... :unsure:

What there is, is the "qualia" of characteristics and the "qualia" of meaning, without the "qualia" they are the characteristics and the meaning of...

To be otherwise... would have to be some kind of hallucination... no?
You calling me crazy?! Lmao. Jokes aside, it isn't really hallucinating. Like, if I'm imagining a scene I want to write, the process starts with voices, then the blank space is filled with imagery. On my best writing days, I hear the words, I don't see them. I can't imagine touch, but I can imagine taste, sounds and sights. It's basically like watching a movie in my head.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
You calling me crazy?! Lmao. Jokes aside, it isn't really hallucinating. Like, if I'm imagining a scene I want to write, the process starts with voices, then the blank space is filled with imagery. On my best writing days, I hear the words, I don't see them. I can't imagine touch, but I can imagine taste, sounds and sights. It's basically like watching a movie in my head.
If im worldbuilding or character building I pace to get a clearer image and feel, sitting down and just thinking doesnt really inspire imagination makes it a lot more difficult for me.

morhamza

Usually, I recite words in my head. Rarely I might mumble bits and pieces of what I read. If I'm alone, I will never read out loud.
Well, so you have an inner voice then. The voice that recites the words in your head, that is an inner voice. Some people can only do simple things with it, and are completely unaware it exits because it never interrupts anything else. Even as I am typing right now it feels like I'm talking with you, because you have a voice I have assigned to you, so when I read your words, you're basically standing in front of me saying them to me.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
I cant literate it in my mind but i can imagine it in detail
Thats why I like to act out all my characters aswell so I get a feel of how they would be

SailusGebel

Well, so you have an inner voice then. The voice that recites the words in your head, that is an inner voice. Some people can only do simple things with it, and are completely unaware it exits because it never interrupts anything else. Even as I am typing right now it feels like I'm talking with you, because you have a voice I have assigned to you, so when I read your words, you're basically standing in front of me saying them to me.
I'm not sure this is it. But as I don't know the specific terminology in English and translating it from my native language might make a mistake, I will simply say this. Ok.

JayDirex

How do you even think if you can't talk in your head or form mental images? Are you sure that's possible?
1630338739201.png