Do you think "standard" isekais are over?

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Isekai is eternal!! The legend never dies!

I don't know how you define it in regards to portal fantasy. But to me, Isekai is synonymous to fun, cool, fantasy game-like system!

One of my earliest favorite Isekai is the manga "Brave Story: a retelling of a classic story" which is a Battle Royale in a RPG-like world between earthlings to climb a tower to be granted a wish. Its drawing style is richer than usual mangas, and the psychological darkness/tragedy is a beautiful contrast with the heroism and candidness of the characters (I don't remember exactly, I think the MC's parents divorced and his mother committed suicide, the FMC's family fell into debt in their building business, the Antagonist's family was murdered).

The genre only broadens with the number of games writers are inspired from. For instance, there has been some recent isekai mangas inspired from RTS/TBS rather than RPG.

Such as:
Her Majesty's Swarm that kinda sounds like Zerg in a WC3 gameplay.
Isekai Apocalypse Mynoghra that sounds like a Civilization type of game.
And I have a similar goal with my smut which is inspired by HoMM and Fallen Enchantress.

I'm sure that mangas are lagging behind the tsunami of isekai japanese are writing. But we are far from exhausting all the combinations of game/plots/execution.

There are even:
Craft Game No Nouryoku De Isekai Kouryaku!! (Minecraft Isekai)
Mezametara Saikyou Soubi To Uchuusen-Mochi Datta No De, Ikkodate Mezashite Youhei Toshite Jiyuu Ni Ikitai (Eve Online Isekai)
Live Dungeon (FF XIV Isekai)
Another World Munchkin (D&D Isekai)
Gacha Girl Corps (Gacha Isekai)
World's Strongest Rearguard (a rather original MMORPG Isekai)
FFF Class Trash Hero (A DQ-like Isekai in an Isekai in an Isekai???)
Kono Sekai ga Game dato Ore dake ga Shitte Iru (Buggy MMORPG Isekai)
Solo Bug Player (Buggy MMORPG Isekai)
Slime Taoshite 300 Nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level MAX ni Nattemashita (DQ-like fluffy Isekai)

If you feel too restrained with your idea of "classic Isekai", look at new games. Please plan great and emotional pay-offs, because they'll feel boring if you just rely on original "what-ifs".

Jemini

I would just like to take this chance to point out, literally all fantasy was isekai until Tolkein came around. It is actually having a developed world with 100% characters native to the world that is unusual in the fantasy genre.

AKnightWithaKnife

Honestly isekiai is starting to feel a bit worn out. I blame webnovel as I kid you not almost every single paid book their is isekai. Isekai is‘nt gonna die but it feels like a rottting shark to read now. Which is shame since it’s sister genre Litrpg has been aging really well

Szaku

to OP, no.

reason being, even if it is the most wish fulfillmenty type isekai, there are levels that make "some good or some bad" you see people whine about the tropes and cliches a lot, but when done well, just about every story ever made is just a delicate (or blunt) combination of the same tropes or cliches. is "writing" as a whole, 'over'? is the art of storytelling 'over'? of course it's not.

time and time again have i seen the exact same story rehashed by two(or more) different authors, with one being a huge success and the other fading into obscurity. its about levels. some people want "more plot" some people want "more side character depth" some people want "better backstory" and the list of elements that make up a story ...hell, that list almost eternally goes on.

now take that same long list, and send it to "another world" and that's just a greater mix of fantasy combinations to sift through. thats really all an isekai ever is.

tl;dr - so long as any story can still be interesting, it can be made, yet, more interesting still by shipping it off to another world.

{edit}: finishing up some MSQ in ffxiv and ran into this little gem.

its not over yet, just headed to the recycling bin :sneaky:

Last edited:

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Welcome to life where everything popular gets a hundred clones trying to copy that one geniuses way of doing things in hopes of becoming someone only for people to get bored with it and wanting something more cause what was once special or different became commonplace and watch fade into obscurity as it becomes a story element used to set the tone or drive the story forward to give readers something new to have until one day even that becomes boring and they something more unique to quell their numbness from the oversaturation.

D

Deleted member 45782

Do you think standard isekai is over?
No. Still seems popular on here

Also define standard isekai. Heard the original type of isekai changed, so which standard of isekai do you mean?