Writing Does story really need to be grammatically correct?

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
It depends. A few mistakes (1-2 per chapter) can be seen as passable, but if you have multiple mistakes in every sentence, then most people are going to be put off from reading.

Succubiome

Need? No.

A lot of readers will bounce if the grammar is sufficiently bad, though.

I don't know if I'd trust grammarly's suggestions-- ahhhh instead of ah is fine, for example, though I can't speak to the punctuation.

The narrative "must" be grammatically correct.

However, the situation is quite different in conversations. Various slang and similar expressions can give characters more depth and help them become unique.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Yesn't. In lower levels you get a lot more flak for breaking grammar rules because most writers don't break them intentionally. But if pros like Stephen King would write gibberish it would either be labeled as avantgarde or intentional.

So it's just like life: Git gud enough in either fame, money, politics or all of the above and the rules no longer count.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
It really depends.
One of the stories on here I have read, and enjoy, is written by someone from Eastern Europe. I could tell even before she told someone that in the comments as the way she structured sentences wasn't how an American or British speaker generally would. Well not always technically correct, it didn't interfere with understanding the meaning, so I just ended up reading the characters voice as if they were Russian.

If however the grammar is at the level I have to reread to try to parse together what it's supposed to mean, then that is a problem. If your writing makes me feel like I'm having (another) stroke, I'll drop it mid chapter.