Early exposition, yes or nay?

Should exposition be done as soon as possible?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
So, the MC for one of my series is a shut-in. That said, I can't decide whether I should explain why he became one right from the beginning, or just begin the story first and drop hints here and there before finally revealing it on, say, the second or second final arc.

LORD_SHAXX

I think it's how it's presented. If you do it through a massive wall of text that just explains why X is Y some people will switch especially if it's at the start where people are more on the fence about reading the story. Personally I try to break it up into chunks across several chapters with engaging bits in those chapters to keep people interested.

ACertainPassingUser

Just "begin the story first and drop hints here and there before finally revealing it on, say, the second or second final arc."

It would be better for the story development and a good investment for a reveal later.

A good example is Re:Zero, the explaination of hoe MC Subaru Natsuki reason of being shut-in isn't told or shown until Anime Season 2/Arc 4 novel, in which it brought great effect due to the nature of Arc 4 is going when compared to Anime Season 1/Novel Arc 1,2 or 3 when Subaru is still delusional, possessive, cocky, arrogant, borderline mental illness, and still subconsiously thinks of his life as Game despite the tragedies that happens, while also never thought to improve himself to be a better person.

why would i read the history about something i don't care about? I don't care about your mc so I don't care about his history.

build a relationship with the readers first then hint at the mc's history. when the audience is invested in his life(story), his history becomes relevant and entertaining.

and there's also the cliche show don't tell, which i agree with. I'd prefer his history be hinted though behavior, dialouge, interactions, and events, rather than a block of text dumped by the author.

Because it's boring. Usually people want to immediately see what was promised in the title. Probably the reason why stories has a really specific title
terrible view

LORD_SHAXX

and there's also the cliche show don't tell, which i agree with. I'd prefer his history be hinted though behavior, dialouge, interactions, and events, rather than a block of text dumped by the author.
This really. Personally I enjoy piecing together the story with the information giving to me. I feel like I'm actually involved.

Zinless

How do I
Because it's boring. Usually people want to immediately see what was promised in the title. Probably the reason why stories has a really specific title
No, this is not true.

Most people like slow burns, but most don't actively look for it or even notice that they like slow burns. Having the history of the characters just laid out in the open the moment you open a story is a turn off because you can't relate to that character yet.

Imagine opening the wiki page of some random king. If you don't know this king personally or what he has accomplished in his life, why would you spend time reading his reasons why cheese is his favorite food?

Succubiome

Is the story of how he became a shut-in as or more interesting than the rest of the story in itself? If so, you can start with that if you want, or flashback once you present the premise. You can have half the novel be the backstory, if the backstory is super interesting. Probably not as exposition, though?

Is it not as interesting, but you feel the reader needs to understand it for the next bits to make any sense at all? Well, show or tell just enough that the reader knows what's up, make it as interesting as possible, and then move on to the actual story.

Is it neither necessary nor interesting yet, but will be when certain events come across that parallel it? Well, the reader doesn't need to be told about it yet-- you can note how another person acting shut-iny parallels his life when it comes up, or briefly note why he's acting a certain way when it would otherwise be strange for someone to act in that manner.

If it's never necessary to the story to understand his past, you can also just leave out the exposition of his past almost entirely, and just have the little hints of his past be something to piece together if the reader is interested in doing so. This is especially true if you aren't let inside his head much/at all. Then the mystery of it can be interesting, even if the details themselves aren't too interesting.

TL;DR: think about as a reader how interesting you'd find it if you did information on the backstory in different ways.

D

Deleted member 113259

Exposition should be done organically. A pretty big character in my world's history is a guy called Zeke. When does the audience first hear about him? Chapter 45?

TotallyHuman

Imagine you have a character with a presumably dark background who, as you find out by bits and pieces, reveals to have a super stupid reason as for why they are the way they are.
Tenko_Chabashira_Illustration.png

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Depends on the amount, for me, I give the general details without being too long and save other stuffs for later.

It's 100+ chapters in and I haven't even got into the magic system.

Its all depends on how much you wanna show and how much you wanna tell.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
So, the MC for one of my series is a shut-in. That said, I can't decide whether I should explain why he became one right from the beginning, or just begin the story first and drop hints here and there before finally revealing it on, say, the second or second final arc.
Chiaki Nanami!!!! *stars in eyes*

Also, definitely just reveal hints throughout the story at appropriate moments, as long as it has the gravitas and seriousness to do so. If MC is a shut-in due to bullying, or something really basic like that, then do it early on.
Imagine you have a character with a presumably dark background who, as you find out by bits and pieces, reveals to have a super stupid reason as for why they are the way they are.
View attachment 20653
Tenko Chabashira!!!!

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Why use ammo for exposition when you can use it for character development? Telling us MC is a shut-in isn't as effective as showing a shut-in actively trying to shut themselves out.

Also, a character being a shut-in can be easily shown through characterization and behaviour, no need to explain how and why it happened unless it fits.

melchi

What is a custom title?
why would i read the history about something i don't care about? I don't care about your mc so I don't care about his history.

build a relationship with the readers first then hint at the mc's history. when the audience is invested in his life(story), his history becomes relevant and entertaining.
This.

If the main character is a shut it, saying they are a shut in is enough. The quirks of being a shut in can show up as applicable. (Example: when the opportunity to go outside presents itself then they don't take it)