Ethics of posting a translated fanfic on SH (usually chinese)

XXII

Lately i've seen a lot of translated chinese fanfic posted here without any information of the original title/author. And sometimes it was even presented as the posters' own fanfic (for patreon ofc). What do? This okay? just asking.

Edit: The most audacious of them are just edited MTLs lol

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Lately i've seen a lot of translated chinese fanfic posted here without any information of the original title/author. And sometimes it was even presented as the posters' own fanfic (for patreon ofc). What do? This okay? just asking.

Report them. It is not okay to plagiarize.

SailusGebel

My biggest issue with this is that some of these guys act all mysterious when you ask them for links to the original work.
(Like c'mon man, I can tell from the prose and writing style that this story has 'translated from Chinese' all over it.)
If you are sure it is a translation, report the story. It's not against the rules(I think?) to post translations here, but Tony will hide any translation from search or popping up in latest updates since this is the site for original works.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It's not against the rules(I think?) to post translations here
You're correct. You're allowed to post translations, but they will be hidden.

Translators who act in good faith say that the novel is a translation on the synopsis and report it themselves if Tony perchance forgot to hide it when approving the story though... Which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Lodur

Eight virgin
If you are sure it is a translation, report the story. It's not against the rules(I think?) to post translations here, but Tony will hide any translation from search or popping up in latest updates since this is the site for original works.
It's not against the rules. Some random translation, I encountered approximately 2 years ago:

Profile appears disabled (by author, i. e. translator themself(?)). On Novel Updates (if I understand correctly, Tony has some relation to it) links to translations are leading to SH.

bulmabriefs144

Side question: what if it's your book that you're translating? (I'd assume you can prove it somehow)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
On Novel Updates (if I understand correctly, Tony has some relation to it)
Tony is the owner, admin and sole programmer of both Novelupdates and Scribblehub.

Novelupdates is the original site, Scribblehub was created after Tony saw enough demand from NU users for an NU equivalent that worked with English original novels. Scribblehub was the result of him trying to meet that demand, although Scribblehub isn't really a database like Novelupdates is, so I guess he changed his goals at some point in development to go from "NU for English originals" to "Website for English originals that feels similar to NU in user experience."

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Report them. It is not okay to plagiarize.
I did it once with the minecraft fic but I think it took a long time until the thing got hidden.

I tried pm-ing the "translator" because there is already a translated work elsewhere but to no reply.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I did it once with the minecraft fic but I think it took a long time until the thing got hidden.

I tried pm-ing the "translator" because there is already a translated work elsewhere but to no reply.
You can report it, and if that doesn't work, you can Email Tony.

Akkizakura

Report them but make sure to provide evidence.
If the report comment is just "this is a translation" without providing evidence (a url to the source) then I'll ignore the report if I can't find it with a quick google search.

XXII

Thank you for all the response/tips on what to do. tbh i worded it wrong when i said 'lately' bcoz i have been noticing them for months now. I tried returning/looking for the novels that are obviously translated and some of them are gone (or i can't find them anymore coz i didn't add them to my reading list and i forgot the name) and some of them (the ones i read before/still reading) now have a proper disclaimer that they are translated fanfics so idk if i should still report them.

Some of them are actually convincing that if i didn't encounter an MTL of them in other sites, i wouldn't even know that they are translated. I've seen some (months or a year ago) even change the title (Example: Kisame) and some of them even have 'A/N' or 'Author's Note' by the translator in every chapter.

Lodur

Eight virgin
Tony is the owner, admin and sole programmer of both Novelupdates and Scribblehub.

Novelupdates is the original site, Scribblehub was created after Tony saw enough demand from NU users for an NU equivalent that worked with English original novels. Scribblehub was the result of him trying to meet that demand, although Scribblehub isn't really a database like Novelupdates is, so I guess he changed his goals at some point in development to go from "NU for English originals" to "Website for English originals that feels similar to NU in user experience."
Thanks. I encountered this information somewhere in comments to some novel, but since I don't know the person who wrote it, I placed it in mind with "maybe" label. You've confirmed their statement.