Extra Paragraph Spaces Not Showing Up On Chapters Anymore

MajorKerina

I used to be able to add extra paragraph spaces at the end of a chapter to provide some space between the text and the acknowledgements and create dramatic pauses. But that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Edit - This also seems to retroactively affect all postings. There are no extra spaces anywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot (240).png
    Screenshot (240).png
    44.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot (242).png
    Screenshot (242).png
    16.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

MajorKerina

i’ll keep that in mind. It’s fine for now. It doesn’t affect me too much but there’s some stories I have where there’s empty space used dramatically as a pause or to structure poetry. Hopefully there’s some sort of remedy that can preserve the pagination.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Are you using "Enter" or "Shift+Enter" to start a new line?

I have found that the latter causes this while the former does not. And some might automatically choose latter perhaps due to Discord using "Enter" to post and "Shift+Enter" to start a new line.

Last edited:

MajorKerina

Are you using "Enter" or "Shift+Enter" to start a new line?

I have found that the latter causes this while the former does not. And some might automatically choose latter perhaps due to Discord using "Enter" to post and "Shift+Enter" to start a new line.
Neither do anything to add additional lines.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Neither do anything to add additional lines.

Here is my quick attempt at both within my own chapter.

1st picture is the original (you can notice that I already have varied gaps in the chapter present.
2nd picture is the part in editing. with every line highlighted. (notice the lack of gap between the empty line after bold sub-title and the next line of text. In the viewing mode (1st picture) this line does not exist)
3rd picture was taken after I placed my cursor at the end of the bold sub-title and pressed "Enter". Notice a distinct new empty line mark that is separate from others.
4th picture is the result. The increased gap after bold sub-title is noticeable.
5th picture is me doing the exact same action (placing the text cursor at the end of sub-title) and then pressing "Shift+Enter". Notice that the new line is still connected to the sub-title. I did not add the result because it is identical to the 1st picture with the gap missing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 183220.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 183220.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 183320.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 183320.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 184235.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 184235.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 183401.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 183401.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 183513.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 183513.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 27

MajorKerina

No matter what device I use, PC or phone, Enter or Shift-Enter, there is no new spaces registered beyond a single space break. Google Chrome browser. I tested every possible entry method.

I even use a plain text editor so there's no text issues. Still no extra spaces.

Do spaces show up here? Yes. I did exactly the same thing and they show up here but not in the editor. So strange that this text editor works but the main site one has an issue.

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Can you highlight every line like I've done with mine and post a picture? Preferably with multiple line breaks highlighted. I did my testing on PC(chrome)

MajorKerina

I’ll do a highlight next chance I get on the pc. Spaces at the end of a line sometime show up when I use editing programs as it wants to correct something at the end of the sentence. I use a mobile app for composition and I bring it over to the PC. I don’t know if that’s what’s causing the issue. I try to strip it down to plain text as much as possible. In fact the last test I did was entirely from a plain text generator and I did actually get some spaces to save but they were odd double spaces (it’s not one line at a time but it skips along) and looked kind of weird.

Naheulf

I just tested and that bug seem fixed. I was able to include 4 blank lines in a row, just by pressing the enter key (↵).

Tip:
If those spaces really matter to you, you should include at least one non ascii space / tab in each line. You can use the No-Break Space character for that purpose.

Note:
Some editors (like the forum editor) may replace it with a standard space. In that case you must find another blank char. (There are other spaces, and there are few blank char, but some of them may be unsupported in some contexts)