F%@~ing Tournament arcs!

D.S.Nate

This was something I wrote up a few years ago and I thought you guys might find it useful XD

(Also if you want to ask questions, hang out or meet others who are on the writing journey then let me know and I'll add you to my discord where we do weekly podcasts.)

Tournament arcs

Definition
A tournament arc is self-explanatory. Gather one or more characters, typically proficient in the task at hand, and have them test their might against a cast of other like-minded people to reach their goal. It’s the typical battle encounter put into eleven. As you have, the setting and stakes narrowed down to this one festive, intense, or brutal event. You are presented with the chance to show battles back to back.

Because of the nature of tournament arcs, setting one up is in itself not really hard to do. In fact, in a lot of cases, it’s as simple as just getting your characters into the damn stadium and ringing the bell. On the flip side of this however, is the fact that because of its simplicity a tournament, if not paced with care or not given any other elements to vary its initial pattern of back-to-back battle, it runs the great risk of overall becoming tedious really fast to the point of losing the readers overall interest of the story. So how do you do a tournament arc? And how do you keep it engaging so readers will want more?

I did a fair bit of research into this when I planned to have my own tournament arc, take place in my story some time back. As such, I’ll use the notes I took to help flesh out my tournament and just elaborate on them so you can better make your own judgement for your story.

Tournaments do not necessarily need to be fighting or blood sport as games like tennis and chess can attest to. That being said, here are a few common touchstones that most any tournament tends to set up.

1. Every participant must have a clear reason to take part in the tournament.
Yes, this includes character #151412 who popped in that one time to do that one thing once. This does not mean that they need to really explain their hopes and dreams to the reader directly. This goes doubly so if said character is not inherently important to the plot. At the very least, things should be set up in such a way that even if character #151412 did get one shot and was never seen again, you’d at least understand why someone so unimportant would bother with taking part in such a contest especially if it’s brutal.

This can be done by establishing the prize or the fame or glory one gains by taking part in the tournament, so in most cases, setting up that should be a none problem.
One level above that, however, are the more important challengers in the tournament who will get partly more screen or page time and thus should have a more fleshed out reason for being there, whether that be shown stated or even just alluded to at all can suffice.

And last, and maybe most importantly, is your MC (Main Character) or main POV (Point Of View) character must have his reasons for being there FULLY fleshed out and laid on the line as soon as possible. Even if the goal in itself is vague on whether winning the tournament will clear or solve their problem, it needs to be clear that winning the thing will definitely bring them close to their goal or at the very least it should lead to a means to get one step closer to finding out how to obtain it. Tournaments are not really the place to get all complicated with your plot, and although that can be a good rule of thumb for any story, this fact holds more true for the tournament arc. With clear steps to progress and a clear line up of people to best to win, the last thing you need is the goal they are fighting and perhaps even dieing for to be put into question.
If you are going to make the goal less clear cut for the heros, then make it be a factor that came in only once they obtain it. E.g. A brother won the prize money to help pay for the operation that will save her sister, but now that his sister is falling more weak its chances of success are now slimmer. In other words, he won the prize money, but now it may not even solve the problem.

The bottom line of this bit is don’t muddy end goal of the tournament if possible. If you have a story set in a world with lots of other elements staring into the tournament, then it’s ok to have them have them elements be noted, in fact it can be a boon to the progression of the tournament if handled correctly (these are not hard and fast rules after all). But as long as the story told is being unravelled around the tournament, ideally you’d want these outside elements to complement and heighten the struggle in the tournament otherwise if they will be more a distraction then be sure that wherever outside elements you have does not take away from the presence of said arc. As long as the tournament is ongoing, it needs to seem like the most important event happening in the world for the reader and the people involved. It is meant to be a spectacle, after all.

1. Establish a great threat early on in the arc
Now that we’ve talked about making your character’s goal in this tournament clear right off the gate, the next important thing to do is establishing the people that pose enough of a threat to stop your MC from reaching their goal. These threats can come in a few different flavours most times, so I’ll run down a list of least dramatic and fixed ones down to arguably the most dramatic and perhaps the more flexible of the few. (These can be mixed and matched, so take what I say here as just on-the-fly rambles.)

The overpowering force of nature
This is that one character in the tournament that you see and just know that the hero may not be up to snuff to take him on. They tend to first be seen making quick work of an early contender in the bracket like it was nothing. Most times the simple presence of them steamrolling all who stand in their way is what makes them work so well in a tournament setting since unlike the outside world where they could have the option to run away from them and still reach their goal in the tournament that option is not really there. The force of nature tends to test the hero’s own skill purely as a fighter in whatever tournament setting they find themselves in, chess master in such a pure and innate way that if done right there battles normally best represent all the best things about a tournament arc. Of Course, this is not to say that sticking personal stakes into their up-and-coming battle will not add anything to it. Depending on what kind of story you are writing will determine how much you will lean on this trope without other strings attached. But having a force of nature in your roster is, I think, a great opportunity almost unique to the setting that should not be sniffed at if it can be taken.

The Friendly rivals
These are the long-time sparring partners and friends. They tend to be around the sake skill level as the MC and at least on paper, who pulls the win here can be up in the air. These encounters are fun because these characters already have a history. And because of their love and respect for one another along with their want to support the other in their goal and yet they are now the very people in their friend’s way, these juxtaposed emotions lead them to a dramatic impasse. ‘To win. I have to beat my friend.’ The outcome of such a match can vary a lot depending on the character’s relationship and how important it is for each of them to win the tournament.
Most times, the two of them decide that they will not hold back in the tournament out of respect to the other’s skills and determination. It is also interesting in a pure battle sense since given that they know each other’s skill well enough to the point they will use unorthodox tactics and moves that would likely never work outside, this means that through their experience with each-other and the setup of a tournament arc we see a type of battle that depending on your story (and how much you make your friends smack up each other) is something you can only see here.

These matches also tend to show the best example of sportsmanship and rivalry, no matter who won there tends to be a great increase in respect and trust in another as they normally find out something more profound about their ally and friend by the end of it all.

(This is only taking into account that this is a friendly rivalry. This could also happen the opposite way. People who hated there then come to like each-other as they fight but maybe past me covered this in Grudge matches?)

Grudge matches

Ahh yes, these can vary from all sorts of situations. Whether it be from a comedy to damn right tragedy. Maybe the two in question are just so different from each other that standing in the same room rubs them the wrong way. Or perhaps they are too alike and so they just so happen to know how to push the other buttons.
On a darker and personal example, maybe the hate is one-sided, perhaps the hero had been wronged and so has it out for the opponent. (Bonus points if your MC’s friendly rival was taken out by the force of nature and the grudge match trope bloomed from there.)

Overall, I feel this one is rather flexible. More so I feel than the other two mentioned. You can mix and match them like I said, but I’d try to keep from having too many of the same three all happening in one go.

3. Kick the power systems’ creativity to eleven
Whatever power system, sports, or game rules or logic you are governing your battles on now is the time to really flex them for all they are worth. Was your character learning some moves or working on a weakness in their skills just before this tournament? Now is the time to show results or progress in that. Were there rules or foreshadows to some deeper form of a skill that had never been shown before? This might be a good time to reveal it. Hell, if it makes sense in your setting and you have built your world to make it work, now is the perfect time to reveal new aspects of your power system or skill that have never before been seen in your story world.

Depending on the scale or importance of the tournament in your world, this event is meant to be the place where the best of the best gather, ideally, these people entering must have it in their minds that they are the best at what they do or at least they are known as one of the best from whatever corner of the world they came from. Depending on the renowned of the tournament in question, it is fair to say that all sorts will come the world over to enter, from new to old rivalry. Upsets and twists are bound to build if the tournament has history to it. Rules that are put in place would likely work in favour of making the battles be as fun as possible for in-world viewers us readers. Give people equal footing so they can be creative as possible to gain the edge.

If they are an introduction to one of the best from a corner of the world that you have yet to really flesh out then this is a great way to bring the culture into the already developing part of the story and get them ready for later acts (This is just one way that a tournament can have lasting benefits to an ongoing story.)
Mix and match all these things above to get the wished for effect befitting your story.

Application
Tournament beyond introducing a great number of new and strong characters for a consistent stream of action and competition is also a great way to flesh out the world, character relationships and/or power system of your story. Sure, you can do all this at any point in a story setting, but given a tournament’s more narrowed nature, it leaves blatant gaps where one can apply these aspects to excel in the overall story progression.

Personally, I find a tournament taking place over more conventional events like an election of king’s coronation is perhaps the most effective way to make use of its more structured line up.

Quickly using my tournament setting as an example, I have it set up so my group of main characters, because a choice they made sparked a world war that has been looming from the start of the series and so to survive being chased down, are forced to split up from another. For this example’s sake, let’s call the split group A and group B, respectively. Group A opted to do the split to partake in the tournament. This is because one of the factions who is chasing them holds a lot of sway, not only in the world but also in the tournament. It is the people who are in group B that the world is hunting. Group A, having close ties with the people who are holding the tournament, takes this chance to try to prevent Group B’s inevitable capture by going back to the homeland and winning the tournament. Because to win the tournament will not only earn great prizes, at one point, the tournament was once used to settle political disagreements or when war was at their doorstep and they needed to quickly choose a strong leader.
Since Group B is being chased down for basically starting a war, Group A, who has ties to these nations and their cultures, is confident that with a little sway, and the fact that her leaders either despise her, glad that they left the city or have a bone to pick with her she can bait them into finally setting the score by invoking the old ways. If the old laws are invoked, the yearly tournament will gain a resurgence of challengers from around the world to take part in the historic event. War at their doorstep has also forced smaller nations and villages folks to seek refuge in the bigger, more fortified cities (the place where the tournament happens being one of them.)

So with all these outside pressures coupled with a need to settle up old differences connected with a need to take care and entertain the great gathering of outsiders now coming to the city, Group A sees this opportunity as the only way to get the people of Group B pardoned by their people.

This set up not only amps the tournament with personal stakes, grudge matches and shaken ties with old acquaintances with group A’s entrance to the tournament, but it also throws in a layer of urgency and unpredictability as group B is left trying to stay on the run as well and deal with other plot related problems with half their fighting force now elsewhere. No matter what, even though these two groups are separated. It’s clare from this setup that one wrong move by either group (Group A fail to win the tournament or group B’s fail to repeal bounty hunters on their tail and get captured or worse.) it will directly affect the meaning and outcome of the going on’s; of the others struggle.

I’m sure there are many other ways that you can think of incorporating your tournament arc into an already developing story to make it, so both of them play off another. Just keep in mind that although it should feel like an epic event to the people partaking, what goes on in a tournament does not necessarily need to stay in a tournament.

Misscomsecptions
Tournaments are indeed rather simple when you get down to it since it can give you a great chance to throw in a bunch of new characters, flex the battle system as well as set clare and cut goals with clare and cut stakes. But simple does not mean easy. There are a lot of elements that can turn a good set up into a poor payoff. Making it too easy for the MC can make the whole ordeal a waste of time.

The worst offence of a badly done tournament arc is having it drag out too long or keeping to one kind of tone within the story itself, like having a list of grudge matches with nothing else mixed in. Even mixing and matching all the above the best way you can will give you diminishing returns if you do not take care to end your tournament in a timely manner. This applies to anything but more so a tournament arc giving its more predictable nature.

Conclusion

Tournament arcs are awesome and can be a great incentive to go ham on more battled focused aspects of your world, get a large cast of characters shown on screen without it feeling too overwhelming as well as more consciously develop character bonds, up the stakes as well as settle bitter or comedic rivalries.

However, just as tournaments themselves are rather more straightforward than talking about the common factors in a five-man band, the simplicity is balanced out by the fact that as fun as one can be at the start, it can quickly overstay its welcome.

Beyond the guidelines, the best thing to do is to trust your instincts. Look over any tournament-like game or show you’ve watched or remembered fondly and try to break it down. Find the bits you liked and try to define why you like them. Find the bits that you did not like so much or the parts you feel could have been handled better. Again, ask yourself why you don’t like it and what would you have to do to make it work better in your own rendition.

Just because your most beloved show does something in a certain way doesn’t mean you have to follow its way of doing things.
So keep that in mind when building one. And remember to keep writing, and learning, and until the next voyage, I’ll see you later.

SailusGebel

D.S.Nate

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I've not used forums in ages so I kind of forgot what's an acceptable length.

J_Chemist

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I've not used forums in ages so I kind of forgot what's an acceptable length.
You have twenty seconds of my attention span, which is typically 25 seconds.

Concise. To the point. Quick. Unless there's actual meaning to what you're sharing, I shouldn't have to scroll.

If there's a block of text, I ain't readin' allat.

If there IS a block of text, include a TLDR.

Oh, also- Your numbering system and little underlined titles? Bold them and enlarge them to make the headings stand out.

Jemini

my readers expected a tournament arc, but they knew the MC would win anyway. So I had her fight a machinegun wielding dragon.
I approve, greatly.

In my case, my MC is trained in ninjutsu, so her art is not for showing off. She would never participate in a tournament arc... I HAVE debated the merits of potentially having her watch someone else engaged in a tournament though.

Speaking as someone rather well known for their long posts, I'm gonna say this was way too long, and it actually was formatted as an essay too.

I would say, though, that the worst offence in your post was the fact that I actually could grasp the ideas you were going for just by reading the 1st sentence under each paragraph. That means, not only did you make it crazy long, you also added a whole lot of very unnecessary padding.

I've gotten in the habit of evaluating whether or not the things I'm writing are necessary or if I could have phrased it in fewer words lately. I also try to make sure that if I do make a long post it's written in a conversational format and I try to watch that I'm not rambling. Every sentence should either contain information that catches the reader's interest, or something that elaborates on the last interesting point in a way that makes it clear that sentence needs to be there.

(Also, it kinda helps that my longer posts are about an interesting subject like mythology and lore rather than a dry subject like writing formats. I mean, I may be biased in saying it's such an interesting subject. The reason I know so much about that subject is because I'm absolutely obsessed with mythologies and lore. But, I do have the impression I'm not really alone in my enjoyment of the subject.)

Mortrexo

It was interesting. Your points can also be applied to many other things, and the parts to make it interesting you highlighted are the basis of any interesting story. A story without an objective, without a plot, without friends, and without enemies is bound to become stale and boring eventually.

It's true that tournament arcs are awesome for character introduction, power balance, power system knowledge etc. However, as good as they are for that, there are other ways to do the same. Careful, I'm not saying tournaments are bad. I also used them in my story. I'm saying that if you abuse them, it is a sign of laziness because sometimes, using a fleshed-out plot and conflicts instead of a tournament might be better.

Of course, as with everything, it depends on the situation, type of story, and many other factors. In short, it was an interesting read, and I agree with most of the things you pointed out.

SailusGebel

P.S. No offense, but all those who are writers and said, "I ain't have time to read that," should reevaluate and take a chance to read something interesting that might help them become better writers. It's two or three minutes at most, and even skimming over it is good.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
OP, you're a corker. a post about tournament arcs that is the forum equivalent of a tournament arc. were you aiming for the irony or did it come by accident? :blob_sir: :blob_sir: :blobrofl: :blobrofl: :blobrofl:

D.S.Nate

Speaking as someone rather well known for their long posts, I'm gonna say this was way too long, and it actually was formatted as an essay too.

I would say, though, that the worst offence in your post was the fact that I actually could grasp the ideas you were going for just by reading the 1st sentence under each paragraph. That means, not only did you make it crazy long, you also added a whole lot of very unnecessary padding.

I've gotten in the habit of evaluating whether or not the things I'm writing are necessary or if I could have phrased it in fewer words lately. I also try to make sure that if I do make a long post it's written in a conversational format and I try to watch that I'm not rambling. Every sentence should either contain information that catches the reader's interest, or something that elaborates on the last interesting point in a way that makes it clear that sentence needs to be there.

(Also, it kinda helps that my longer posts are about an interesting subject like mythology and lore rather than a dry subject like writing formats. I mean, I may be biased in saying it's such an interesting subject. The reason I know so much about that subject is because I'm absolutely obsessed with mythologies and lore. But, I do have the impression I'm not really alone in my enjoyment of the subject.)

Again I understand the issue with length so it's cool. I can't say I'm known for posting anything at all if I'm honest. You say this was an essay and you'd be partly right. I was a script for when I was working on YouTube videos. After dusting it off I though it might help someone who is currently working on tournament's.

If I where to write the topic from scratch it would have been a lot shorter.

That's a good skill to have but again this was more a thing of I had some stuff I written down when I did research on the topic. I can't say I'm all that keen on tournament's. I prefer lore and characters myself I would say it's very biased to call one subject dry over another so I'm glad you noted that.

SailusGebel

I've read it all. This can be useful to newbies. Though I would've liked it if you mentioned that exceptions exist. Since this one is for newbies, you should mention that tournamnets aren't limited to whatever you wrote, and an author can bend your guidelines or tips, or outright ignore them. Although you touch on this subject in Conclusion, I would've preferred you mention it more throughout the text.

I would also liked if you actually provided examples of unusual tournamnets, or tournaments that don't follow any of your advice, with in-depth explanation of why they worked, but it's more of a personal preference.

Personally, there wasn't anything useful, and since I'm extremely petty piece of crap, I expect some reimbursment. It took me around 5 minutes, so I wait for certain someone to give me my 5 minutes of life back.

D.S.Nate

I've read it all. This can be useful to newbies. Though I would've liked it if you mentioned that exceptions exist. Since this one is for newbies, you should mention that tournamnets aren't limited to whatever you wrote, and an author can bend your guidelines or tips, or outright ignore them. Although you touch on this subject in Conclusion, I would've preferred you mention it more throughout the text.

I would also liked if you actually provided examples of unusual tournamnets, or tournaments that don't follow any of your advice, with in-depth explanation of why they worked, but it's more of a personal preference.

Personally, there wasn't anything useful, and since I'm extremely petty piece of crap, I expect some reimbursment. It took me around 5 minutes, so I wait for certain someone to give me my 5 minutes of life back.
You make valid points. Though I have examples it would have made the writing longer. I agree that there are no hard and fast rules and I keep things open in my take on how I see the subject so beyond being more direct that this is not iron clad rules I guess I'll just keep this in mind.

As for those 5 mins you lost let me find you a banging 5 min OST to make up for it lool

SailusGebel

You make valid points. Though I have examples it would have made the writing longer. I agree that there are no hard and fast rules and I keep things open in my take on how I see the subject so beyond being more direct that this is not iron clad rules I guess I'll just keep this in mind.
I think you didn't get my point. The tip, advice, guideline, whatever you want to call if, is good for newbies. We are not exactly newbies, so we both understand that there are no hard rules. But will a newbie, a person who writes his or her first novel, understand that this isn't a guide or a rule? That's why adding a couple, "Though exceptions exist, I won't touch on this topic here" or something similar is a good idea. Won't make it longer, and, if you want, you can write part two of your guide.
As for those 5 mins you lost let me find you a banging 5 min OST to make up for it lool
Nah, don't worry, you don't owe me anything. I was talking about someone else.

D.S.Nate

I think you didn't get my point. The tip, advice, guideline, whatever you want to call if, is good for newbies. We are not exactly newbies, so we both understand that there are no hard rules. But will a newbie, a person who writes his or her first novel, understand that this isn't a guide or a rule? That's why adding a couple, "Though exceptions exist, I won't touch on this topic here" or something similar is a good idea. Won't make it longer, and, if you want, you can write part two of your guide.

Nah, don't worry, you don't owe me anything. I was talking about someone else.
Ahh, I understand now. Thanks again.