Fans of The Boys.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Alright, so, right now I'm stoned watching episode 4 of season 2 of The Boys. Super good show that you can watch for free with a trial of Amazon Prime.

Anyone else want to talk about it? Perhaps, specifically the writing. As in, what it does right, and what it does wrong? Let's totally chat about it once I'm sober!!!

If this goes well, there are other shows I'd love to chat about.

Tejoka

Wait, there's a season 2 out? Oh, I guess I need to make more time ...

Anyway, I really liked season 1 especially for the way it subverted some common superhero tropes while at the same time showing some (relatively?) realistic stuff regarding corporations, corruption etc. It's a good example of how a 'dark' story can work.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Wait, there's a season 2 out? Oh, I guess I need to make more time ...

Anyway, I really liked season 1 especially for the way it subverted some common superhero tropes while at the same time showing some (relatively?) realistic stuff regarding corporations, corruption etc. It's a good example of how a 'dark' story can work.

I actually like it best when it isn't trying to subvert expectations, mainly because it seems like everything is doing that these days. To me, it's like how everything had to have a twist after The Sixth Sense became a massive hit. I couldn't just watch a movie anymore without the nagging thought of "What's the twist gonna be?" in the back of my mind. With this, it's like "I recognize this trope, what's going to happen to subvert it?"

The problem I have with the "Subvert expectations," trope in most media is that it's repetitive. How will they subvert expectations regarding gender roles in this movie? Probably by making the traditionally weak girl super-strong and the traditionally strong man weak. I'm all for subverting expectations, but be a bit more creative with it. Maybe, instead of having a human character, or human-like character, as the main protagonist in the new Star Wars movie, you could make the main character a dim-witted six-armed alien who really likes ice cream.

My problem with it in The Boys is that it seems like the way that they answer the question of: "How will we subvert this expectation?" with: "How about we kill this character?" a few too many times. Like, right now it's kind of at the point where they killed off so many recurring side characters that now, pretty much the only characters left are main characters who probably can't be killed until the actor's contracts expire. That sort of deflates the tension a bit.

I also wasn't fond of the Christianity-bashing episode in season 1. I personally think that it's one of the weaker episodes because it's really boring and repetitive. By the end of it, I was groaning in annoyance at every "Christianity bad," thing I heard.

I really like Karl Urban as Billy Butcher. The guy has so much charisma, he's just a joy to watch. I also like A-Train, and I wish that he was used more. The Deep is okay. I like to think that the writers enjoy using him because there are so many fun and unique things they can use him for that are basically unique to him.

Stratothrax

I need to get back into that before my prime trial runs out, I loved season 1 but season 2 has such a slow and dry start that I'm having trouble getting through the first episode and keep finding something else to do before it gets to the credits

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I need to get back into that before my prime trial runs out, I loved season 1 but season 2 has such a slow and dry start that I'm having trouble getting through the first episode and keep finding something else to do before it gets to the credits

It's definitely got a different feel than season 1. The pacing is a little bit weird. This is just speculation, but it feels like they planned the end out first, and worked backward to write the beginning. So, right now it feels like everything is being set-up for that ending without the same level of enthusiasm maintained throughout.

It sort of feels like watching a balloon being inflated. The beginning is kind of lame, but it's fun watching the balloon expand to whatever it will become. I hope that I'm right about that because I'd hate to finish the season and realize: "Wait, it stayed at that energy level the entire season? Why?"

kira

I actually like it best when it isn't trying to subvert expectations, mainly because it seems like everything is doing that these days. To me, it's like how everything had to have a twist after The Sixth Sense became a massive hit. I couldn't just watch a movie anymore without the nagging thought of "What's the twist gonna be?" in the back of my mind. With this, it's like "I recognize this trope, what's going to happen to subvert it?"

The problem I have with the "Subvert expectations," trope in most media is that it's repetitive. How will they subvert expectations regarding gender roles in this movie? Probably by making the traditionally weak girl super-strong and the traditionally strong man weak. I'm all for subverting expectations, but be a bit more creative with it. Maybe, instead of having a human character, or human-like character, as the main protagonist in the new Star Wars movie, you could make the main character a dim-witted six-armed alien who really likes ice cream.

My problem with it in The Boys is that it seems like the way that they answer the question of: "How will we subvert this expectation?" with: "How about we kill this character?" a few too many times. Like, right now it's kind of at the point where they killed off so many recurring side characters that now, pretty much the only characters left are main characters who probably can't be killed until the actor's contracts expire. That sort of deflates the tension a bit.

I also wasn't fond of the Christianity-bashing episode in season 1. I personally think that it's one of the weaker episodes because it's really boring and repetitive. By the end of it, I was groaning in annoyance at every "Christianity bad," thing I heard.

I really like Karl Urban as Billy Butcher. The guy has so much charisma, he's just a joy to watch. I also like A-Train, and I wish that he was used more. The Deep is okay. I like to think that the writers enjoy using him because there are so many fun and unique things they can use him for that are basically unique to him.
I really like Billy Butcher..K Urban is awesome in any role. I stopped watching towards end of season 1. I liked Elizabeth Shu's character I was surprised when they killed her character off. I should watch again..thanks for reminding me..it is a good show. I was shocked the guy from Gossip Girl was so good..can't think of his name haha:blob_popcorn:

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I really like Billy Butcher..K Urban is awesome in any role. I stopped watching towards end of season 1. I liked Elizabeth Shu's character I was surprised when they killed her character off. I should watch again..thanks for reminding me..it is a good show. I was shocked the guy from Gossip Girl was so good..can't think of his name haha:blob_popcorn:

I think you'll like season 2 if you liked Elizabeth's character. Without spoiling anything, I'll say that she does come back.

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
Eyyyyyy I’ll post once I see episode 4. Only seen episode one and I’m taking my sweet time with this season and not binging it like last time.

this is the only where I’ve seen a character asked for his pp to be chopped of.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Eyyyyyy I’ll post once I see episode 4. Only seen episode one and I’m taking my sweet time with this season and not binging it like last time.

this is the only where I’ve seen a character asked for his pp to be chopped of.

Without spoiling anything, I cried during the gay sword fight with the two sharks.