Fantastical Creature Stereotypes

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Biblically accurate angles are funny. Personally, I prefer the eldritch horror look.
000000_85875107_kdpmpp2m15_PS10.0_img2img-1.0_Make_him_look_smug_and_stylish__[generated].jpg

When Eldritch Horrors Be Stylin'

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
The other day (aka 4am pst today) I was thinking about how fantasy creatures are portrayed. I’ll use demons as an example. In Dungeons & Dragons, demons are creatures that are all over the place. They can be a giant freaking monkey or humanoid dragon-like creature with lobster claws. Now, look at the anime Demon Slayer. Demons there are basically just humans that can’t go into the sun and have some magic powers and super regeneration.

So, do you all have any perspectives on fantastical creatures (or races) that differ from a common/mythological view of them?

(I was going to write about vampires but that’s Envy‘s thing… maybe later…)
If I do it the perspective of the world of my fiction, they differ majorly.
For example, Imps are essentially seven competing and/or allying civilizations, characterized by Sin, of incredibly intelligent Kobolds, each Sin descended from a specific dragon, which is the arch Sin. Devils do not exist as a species, but rather as a LitRPG class for imps, and the word demon is actually the equivalent of saying fleshbag for every single creature in the entire Demonic Universe, as they are made of Demonic Essence materials. So don't say that. It's hella rude. One example of an Imp has parchment paper skin, eyes made of sloshing ink, sea turtle's throat (look it up), green blood (you can know because the neck flushes, rather than cheeks), draconic horns, wings, and a rather elvenoid body otherwise. Again, multiple cultures with numerous idiosyncrasies.
Werewolves are based more on the lobisomem in South America in terms of look, so think elves that look like they have Yellow Fever and some fur tufts. Until they transform. Werewolves in this world are part allegory for prejudice against AIDS, part intense xenophobia gets directed to them, and part allegory for Jewish diaspora. There are misconceptions about how their disease works, and what exactly differs between them and other humans, with many different schools on the matter. If the world's werewolves all came together, they could have one of the largest nations in the world, but they are very spread out, connected only by cultural practices that spread with the disease to keep them connected. For example, certain political ideologies such as utopia communism spread with the disease, given that they could actually make it work. The changes in their mindset were enough. I have so much worldbuilding on them that I could on for a looong time.
Another differing perspective would be the Fae, but that would be spoilers.
Can't have those.

TotallyHuman

unlike what Japan usually does to my beloved

This great witch usually takes on the form of a child for energy-saving reasons and because this way peadophiles are easier to manipulate (and they are common clients), as well as having the clients trust me more (weirdly enough they see this great witch less of an existential threat when this great witch looks like a kid)
Because of it, I prefer vampies that are shorter than this great witch. Because I don't have to climb any stages to look down on them.
View attachment 23464
When Eldritch Horrors Be Stylin'
ewwww do I see cheekbones on this thing? Gross.

Last edited:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.

This great witch usually takes on the form of a child for energy-saving reasons and because this way peadophiles are easier to manipulate (and they are common clients), as well as having the clients trust me more (weirdly enough they see this great witch less of an existential threat when this great witch looks like a kid)
Because of it, I prefer vampies that are shorter than this great witch. Because I don't have to climb any stages to look down on them.

ewwww do I see cheekbones on this thing? Gross.
Isn't she stuck in her child-like form because of Koyomi?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Most current stereotypes are modernized and pale in comparison to their real historical mythology. A lot of them are a lot more terrifying in the past.
Isn't she stuck in her child-like form because of Koyomi?
She is but she chose to stay as it was more entertaining for her and she developed some feelings(not sexual or romantic ones) for her human partner.

Lodur

Eight virgin
So, do you all have any perspectives on fantastical creatures (or races) that differ from a common/mythological view of them?
Δαίμων from classical Ancient Greek mythology has virtually nothing to do with "common" (i. e. Christian) usage of the word. If we will add all translations to many European languages of different supernatural beings from their original languages from different pre-Christian and/or different beliefs of different people across the world via word "demon", there will be so many different beings, that will put to shame any zoo. So, you can safely glue label "demon" to almost any fantastic or mythological being (especially of malevolent variety).

SsemouyOnan

Bittersweet Cranberry Flavored Euphoria
After consuming an unhealthy amount of vampire-related media, I have classified them into two types:

Type A, the objectively superior type. Monsters in human flesh, cursed by God to wander the earth, with an insatiable thirst for blood that only becomes more unquenchable the older they get. Respects traditional weaknesses. Disintegrates in sunlight. Gets consumed by the beast within when hungry. Impeccable fashion sense. Can't cross rivers. Repulsion to garlic (French vampires are exempt from this).

Think VTM.

Then... we have Type B. Sexy animu prince(ss) vampire. "Oh don't worry I have this enchanted parasol so I don't turn into fucking ashes ohoho!", "I'm vegan and only need animal blood! EHE!". "It's just a garlic allergy!", "It's not a vampire thing, I'm just a NEET who hasn't taken a shower in 300 years! uwu"
Homie. Listen. At that point you know what you should just turn to?
Koakuma-sprite.png
Bat waifus, sprinkle in those succubus genes if you're feeling horny.

I have grown a distaste for type B, they suffer from elf syndrome by basically being turned into softcore cannibal humans.

You also have the gay and sparkly vampires... but those would be like saying monkeys are homo sapiens, so I don't include them in the classifications.

PS: I'm not saying Type A vampires can't be hot. I mean I'd let Lady Dimitrescu crack me open like a cold can of beer any day of the week.

Last edited:

Lodur

Eight virgin
So You got your demons, your devils, and your daemons. You are conflating Demons with devils. Demons are all over the place, but devils have hierarchies and recurring patterns. Daemons are Greek and fuck those guys. They're just creepy.
You can't "f*ck those guys", while still using their word, can you? Change word "demon" to any other, before doing that. Or give them at least some credit, by explaining what their word meant originally.
You know how angels are usually depicted as shining people with wings, right? Apparently, the Bible had other ideas:
View attachment 23463

So, if my story has angels in it, I'd like to have both...
There are no "angels" descriptions in the Bible. At least, no more descriptions, then the descriptions of mundane postmen (and those rare descriptions, which we still can find, mainly in New Testament, depict them as not different from humans).

Last edited:

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I kinda prefer how the demons are portrayed in the Ars Goetia or in the Dante Alighieri's inferno.

Absolution

I simply ignore conventions that arent useful or dont fit the setting. Monsters exist to flesh out your world or to move the story forward. Demons, specifically, are such a general concept all I can tell you, is, the word means "evil monster" basically. They may be physical, spiritual, etc, but theyre invariably harmful to humans. You can play it off as humans slapping the brand of a demon on something they dont like tho.

Something i dont see a lot but would like to is people taking their inspiration for the world theyre basing a story in (chinese, scandinavian, etc mythologies) and adapting monsters and fantasy races to that culture's worldview and aesthetic.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You can't "f*ck those guys", while still using their word, can you? Change word "demon" to any other, before doing that. Or give them at least some credit, by explaining what their word meant originally.
Look, Daemons are the underworld's version of the Amish. Everyone thinks they're just quirky, but in reality, they are organized crime at its worst. Pulling credit scams, running protection rackets... yeah... I will admit, they make a mean set of furniture, but they're just smug sons of bitches charging a coin per eye. WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WITH HUNDREDS OF EYES? This isn't like crossing a bridge! The more axles you have the more weight, I can get, BUT WHAT'S THAT GOT TO DO WITH EYES?

OH, I got your Oboli, mister Ferryman!

RIGHT. HERE.
That's just the 3 a.m. bus station hobo from downtown who asks you for a cig.
Hey. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pick up a meat suit these days? You roll into town, you go shopping. 3 am Bus Station Hobo is sometimes all you can find, ya know? But you make it work because nobody likes a whiner.

It's called being a PROFESSIONAL.

Last edited: