Fantasy with a unique/special MC?

KYO297

Hi, I'm looking for fantasy fiction wheee the main character is different from most(all) other characters in the book and this uniqueness gives them an advantage in battle, studying, research or crafting. It can be whatever: a cheat, unique ablility or trait, a never before seen way of thinking or knowledge from previous life. It's fine as long as the MC takes advantage of it, it makes them stronger and it's not forgotten halfway through.
(Preferably 100k+ words)
Things I don't want to see:
  • grimdark
  • MC losing something/someone important to them permanently
  • MC being forced into doing things they don't want to
  • Chinese cultivation (the "spend half a year meditating" kind)
  • Main focus being martial arts
  • Comedy based on MC being stupid or comedy based on the protagonist (male) being yelled at by second main character (female)
Examples:
  • The reincarnation of Alysara
  • Mark of The Fool
  • Unbound
  • Isekai'd Shoggoth
  • A cheap, OP Brawler
  • Blue Core
  • Fork This Life!
  • Maou Shoujo Magical Chaos
  • Let's Explore And Enjoy
  • Sleep is for the Weak
  • Infinite Mana in the Apocalypse
  • Lord Of The Mysteries
  • Trash of The Count's Family
  • That Time I Git Reincarnated As a Slime
  • Death March
  • The Irregular at Magic High School
  • The Death Mage Who Doesn't Want a Fourth Time
  • Reincarnated As A Sword
  • Supreme Magus
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?
  • and probably others I forgot

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Every isekai author on the forum and their mother:

1647195498955.png

It's pretty difficult to track down something that is good, has no loss, an MC that reads above a third grade level, and isn't a comedy based on said MC's stupidity, to be honest. Have you read the Slayers light novels? Even if it does poke fun at thr MC's lack of insight sometimes, it doesn't crop up nearly as often as the novels of today.

Also, I'm not sure how Blue Core fits this list, Blue is kinda... you know, and what other dungeon cores do to women is the definition of grimdark.

Last edited:

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Hi, I'm looking for fantasy fiction wheee the main character is different from most(all) other characters in the book and this uniqueness gives them an advantage in battle, studying, research or crafting. It can be whatever: a cheat, unique ablility or trait, a never before seen way of thinking or knowledge from previous life. It's fine as long as the MC takes advantage of it, it makes them stronger and it's not forgotten halfway through.
(Preferably 100k+ words)
  • grimdark
  • Comedy based on MC being stupid or comedy based on the protagonist (male) being yelled at by second main character (female)
Examples:
  • Mark of The Fool
  • Unbound
  • Isekai'd Shoggoth
  • A cheap, OP Brawler
  • Blue Core
  • Fork This Life!
  • Sleep is for the Weak
  • Lord Of The Mysteries
  • Death March
  • Supreme Magus
Stranger than Fiction on RoyalRoad is a personal favorite of mine. Pretty interesting imo
It's on the darker and heavier side, though not overly so, and probs the 'worst' things that have happened that are kinda spoiler-y are an indefinite separation with hope of reunion, and maybe the pain and hardship the MC goes through in the first book. But even then, that pain isn't some body horror hardcore training scenes or anything like that. I find the universe lore confusing though, but it could just be me being an idiot.

Daitengu

Well... off the top of my head, of completed stories on royalroad, there's Song of the Void, Coeus, and Colossus' Dream.

of incomplete stories on RR there's Azarinth Healer, Tree of Aeons, and Magic Smithing.

Complete stories on SH would be Living as I please, As a loli Demon King, I’m Overpowered but I’ll Let the Hero Do His Thing While I Save the Last Boss, The Introverted God

On SH, ongoing stories would be Reincarnated As The Hero’s Daughter: Wait, Why Is My MP Not Running Out?, Goddess of Ice; Reborn as Naruto’s twin sister, Other world chimera [Naruto fanfic]

There's plenty more, but thee's only so much effort I'm willing to give someone who asks for stuff instead of search.

DutyInternal

(Preferably 100k+ words)
  • grimdark
Examples:
  • Mark of The Fool
  • Unbound
  • Isekai'd Shoggoth
  • A cheap, OP Brawler
  • Blue Core
  • Fork This Life!
  • Sleep is for the Weak
  • Lord Of The Mysteries
  • Death March
  • Supreme Magus
Abnormal State skill

InstantRicePack

(Preferably 100k+ words)
  • grimdark
Examples:
  • Mark of The Fool
  • Unbound
  • Isekai'd Shoggoth
  • A cheap, OP Brawler
  • Blue Core
  • Fork This Life!
  • Sleep is for the Weak
  • Lord Of The Mysteries
  • Death March
  • Supreme Magus
Warlock of the Magus World
The main character is just big brain and cunning with his plans and like also has some big brain ai in his head that connected with his soul and whatnot.
Mages are Too OP
Main character is just good at the video game fr...
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!
That was a long name, well as you can tell he can instantly kill anyone, it's funny, a nice read yep. Get summoned, he does his thing for a while, the summoner goes "OH SHIT WHAT DID I SUMMON TO MY WORLD" type thing.

SilverFlame

i don't want to come off as shameless, but I think my novel, The Silver Path, has exactly what you're looking for. Dead on actually, though MCs' knowledge comes from another world, not previous life. Check it out, its just over 200k at this point.

akira_

(Preferably 100k+ words)
  • grimdark
Examples:
  • Mark of The Fool
  • Unbound
  • Isekai'd Shoggoth
  • A cheap, OP Brawler
  • Blue Core
  • Fork This Life!
  • Sleep is for the Weak
  • Lord Of The Mysteries
  • Death March
  • Supreme Magus
Reversal on Webnovel

---* Spoilers *___

Future Earth MC (2040~ if I remember correctly) reincarnates in an inverted Earth where women are the dominant sex

Humanity's greatest genius with an IQ of 450 who solved three millennium problems and became a billionaire by age 12 (using his knowledge of the future)

It has a supernatural element like the MC "dying" and seeing hell with his own eyes, but it's not the focus of the story and doesn't play a very active role outside of being the cause of the MC's powers, as it mostly focuses on the urban genre.

It has a relatively dark theme, with the MC exposing a child prostitution case headed by the US high government, the MC getting beaten up by his father and a few more things in there.

The MC also loses his half-sister after falling into a coma for the first time, as she kills herself due to various psychological issues with the feeling of being to blame for his coma being the final stop.

War_and_Poetry

i don't want to come off as shameless, but I think my novel, The Silver Path, has exactly what you're looking for. Dead on actually, though MCs' knowledge comes from another world, not previous life. Check it out, its just over 200k at this point.

You came off shameless. Join the club and stop half-assing it. Everyone is shameless. We don't care that you are too.
Reversal on Webnovel

---* Spoilers *___

Future Earth MC (2040~ if I remember correctly) reincarnates in an inverted Earth where women are the dominant sex

Humanity's greatest genius with an IQ of 450 who solved three millennium problems and became a billionaire by age 12 (using his knowledge of the future)

It has a supernatural element like the MC "dying" and seeing hell with his own eyes, but it's not the focus of the story and doesn't play a very active role outside of being the cause of the MC's powers, as it mostly focuses on the urban genre.

It has a relatively dark theme, with the MC exposing a child prostitution case headed by the US high government, the MC getting beaten up by his father and a few more things in there.

The MC also loses his half-sister after falling into a coma for the first time, as she kills herself due to various psychological issues with the feeling of being to blame for his coma being the final stop.
Sounds grimdark, or still relatively dark even if not grim-y, as in what OP said no to.