Favorite Character Archetypes

EternalSunset0

Whether we're readers, authors, or artists, we have them. Personal biases. What quality of a character would cause you to claim such character as waifu/husbando? What qualities make you watch a show or read a series for him/her?

Really curious to know what everyone's preferences here are.

Any favorites in terms of appearance, personality, the type of character arc he/she goes through?

D

Deleted member 45782

a combo of warrior/wise/hero/jester i guess?

Some humor, badass, cleverness, etc. - being able to fight and not always get saved all the time. Can stand and fight on their own but also with the help of others; not arrogant. Fights for what their goal is in the story and the experiences they go through to get to their resolution actually makes them grow and develop as a person within that story. Sometimes the character is a bit relatable in how they view things or things that affect them in some way or another, even in a fantasy type of world, certain concepts.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Lancer. As The five-man band stereotype

Can be the most necessary character in the story with just how well they highlight the hero. Can easily make or break the group.

EternalSunset0

Lancer. As The five-man band stereotype

Can be the most necessary character in the story with just how well they highlight the hero. Can easily make or break the group.
That's cool. I often like the lancer the most, too.

TotallyHuman

I like psychopath characters - those lacking empathy and an emotional moral code, because it allows me to see their motivations grow and get me to understand the characters better.
The characters who act based on their own more "emotional" moral codes generally are harder for me to empathise with, since they are already well-established.
I also like characters who go from 0 to 100 and back quickly. I don't know why. It's just charming

Szaku

Kuudere and the always joking powerhouse
ah, beat me to it. im a total simp for kuudere's to an alarming degree. also, oddly enough, the tomboyish gals get me feelin some kinda way as well.

Macrendil-Ysmir

The likeable but actually disturbed kind of characters (well, for MC's anyway). The kind where we as the ready/writer are aware of his little quirks & oddities while the outside mostly sees him/her carry out large scale destruction and massacres. MC loves his wife & children, is addicted to chocolate and has a pet/stuffed toy he talks to when nobody watches. But he also incinerates a planet for dropping a pen when he's trying to concentrate on something.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Definitely the "Merlin" and all of his avatars (Gandalf, Dumbledore, Moiraine). The other is of course the Byronic Hero.

Herz

1. Smart, Schemer, Manipulator
However, not the evil type that utterly disregards the life/emotions of others.
2. Wacky, Eccentric, Clown
3. Cold, Silent, Detached

jokei

I love the Innocent incomprehensible types, always interesting, imagine a newborn eldritch playing house with the Village girl

Also love the op grandparents just a calm and relaxed old man telling you stories and advice one minute and annihilating an army the next

JayDirex

Evil "Ara-Ara" villainesses. you know the bad beautiful ones that taunt our hero when he's down, and she says:

"Ara Ara, did you think your pathetic friends would come rescue you?"

:love::blob_aww::blob_reach:

AKnightWithaKnife

I usually prefer more grounded characters. Also I loathe speed based characters because it allows for the author to finish a fight scene in under two seconds and makes for very repadative reading

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Arrrrgh there are so many types of husbandos to pick from

But personally I prefer those along the lines of:

Tall
Kind
Doting
Will forgive you anything, even if you like wearing large hats to look taller, are evil and have killed your father, spouse and kid

Hmmm :blob_drool:

LordJoyde

For a waifu, I guess she'd have to be strictly female, have a lot of spine, selflessness (when it comes to family) and enough motherly instict to crush an offending army. I guess you could say its part of the 'big sister' trope, provided that the big sister was an arrogant tomboy, but I really want nothing to do with the whole 'ara ra' thing as it does nothing for me.
However, this has nothing to do with my favorite character archetype.

For a favourite character, I tend to only enjoy characters that have power behind their stance, stability in their posture and enough pride to make the MC look away in shame just by mere presence. If they can fit this criteria, then add onto that a completely selfish personality, while paradoxically being protective of their families, kind of like male lions for example. A 'if they aren't my blood, they aren't important' kind of character.

As you can see, family is very important to me and even if a character does not exemplify either version of favorite traits, if they prioritize their own bloodlines over everyone else, that's a plus in my book.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I like the deeply mentally and emotionally scarred ones who are still determined to make the most of life and keep trying.

Bonus points if they're the type to protect/act as a guardian to others.

There's something incomparably touching about a character who's struggling but still sympathises with and cares for the needs of others.

MorgueAnna

I like problematic science dads, or at least that's what I call them. Professor Hojo, Bondrewd
Also tall dominant witchy ladies. Ozen, Yuko Ichihara, Hachijo Ikuko
Also characters like Satsuki Kiryuuin, Homura Akemi, and Furude Rika. (Secret protagonists?)