Feedback on re-written prologue.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Hey guys, I am currently writing "The reincarnated master craftsman just wants to live a peaceful life." Whew what a long generic title... Well anyways. I have been thinking of this for quite a while but I finally did it. I hope to get some feedback before I edit the chapters. I rewrote the prologue and side story 1. Of the novel into a single 1500 word chapter to make it easier to read and digest. Anyways I will leave it here and hope to get feedback about it. If you have not read my story just tell me what you think of it as a prologue. Either works. Thank you to anyone that does decide to read it. I do not know if it is allowed to post it like this here (As a spoiler) But I will remove it and post a link to it if necessary. I just thought it was the easiest way for people to read.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is mostly aimed to be SoL despite the LitRPG elements.

Prologue re-write.

* * *​

I lived in a hospital, my parents would come to see me every now and then… The thing is, they would reluctantly see me. Every time I saw them, they tapped their foot on the ground as if waiting for this to be over. I didn't quite understand it. I lived in a lonely hospital room with a white tiled floor and a small window that had the beautiful view of a brick wall, well it is not like I could see the outside even if I wanted to.

I was born paraplegic, and a rare disease that made my body weak. The doctors told me that I did not have much time to live with my parents in the room. My parents kept solemn expressions however their eyes sparkled when they heard that, every time they placed their gaze on me they would just narrow her eyes as if they were looking at trash.

I received education paid by my parents, I didn't quite understand it, I still don’t understand it. However, I am grateful for it.

One fateful day, my parents came in, their solemn expressions were the same however their gaze… It was warm, their eyes were sparkling, despite their mostly emotionless expressions I could see a faint smile on them. I knew something was wrong, everything was wrong. Doctors started entering the room, some were fidgeting, others were looking with sparkling eyes as if they wanted to see what would happen. Others were shaking and looking at the ground.

The creaking door opened, a doctor came in while holding something that looked like a helmet and handed it to my parents while saying something. They got a hold of it and came closer to me. One of them whispered into my ear trying to sound regretful.

“I am sorry.”

The words I heard felt empty, afterwards everything was black. No room, no doctors. Only darkness… Time went by and then I saw a light. It just looked like a circle, I could not see the ground however I felt it. I felt my body. I froze for a few minutes. The weird and unfamiliar feeling was not going away. I realized this was my reality now. I heard an emotionless voice.

[Welcome to the system.]

Days went by, I grew more familiar and more familiar with everything. Apparently, this was some sort of enhanced VR prototype that was in experimental testing. More days went by, I kept talking with the integrated AI. That could keep me company, despite it being an AI it was rather disappointing. It worked more like a browser if anything. A year went by. One day out of boredom I asked.

“Is there something else I can do?” The voice did not answer instantly, it was silent. Then I heard its reply.

[There are VR games.]

I found myself intrigued from the unfamiliar concept, I wanted to know more. I discovered a certain game of a genre called ‘fantasy’ it consisted on adventures and surreal concepts and medieval age. It was quite weird but I found it amazing. I found an online game called...

[Zeileheim.]

In that game. I met her, my first friend.

* * *​

It was the first game I ever played, it had a class system that was divided between non-combat and combat it allowed to have three of whatever type of class you wanted. I chose three non-combat classes of crafting, It was something I found enjoyable. It also had something called item tiers. There were 7 tiers in total. The game was something called an RPG game.

I kept playing it for years, going on an endless journey, with my friend Eli, she was a cute black haired girl with brown eyes, she was in a similar situation as I was in, somewhat stuck in the game, and a terminal illness. We related to each other it was great so we decided to go on an adventure.

Eventually, we got each other a set of [Friendship rings] to signify how much we cared about one another, it was quite childish yet we still did it. We had been playing together for three years. I found myself acquiring a class called [Master Craftsman] From the achievement of being the first person to max [Alchemist], [Enchanter] and [Smith] classes. I found myself being able to acquire new classes due to the three classes literally disappearing and becoming a single one. I tamed a cute white wolf named Fenri and became a [Tamer] I decided to make this wolf my only tamed beast. Eventually, the wolf became the max level, it was the first wolf to reach level 120.

Two years later with Eli’s help, I found myself contracting the [Legendary Dragon Aizen] of the death mountains, It was a silver-colored dragon with amber eyes that threatened people and only liked to be given the utmost respect. He looked down on everyone, the contract day. I asked him to heat a piece of [Eternal Mithril] a rare mineral said to be impossible to work with, I thought he would be able to get it to the forging temperature. He did not take it well.

“You mere human! Asking me to heat a mere piece of tin! Do not look down on me.”

The dragon ended up reluctantly agreeing, and he gave me a bloodshot gaze every time he had to heat the metal. My work was finished… It was a black rapier with cobweb patterns engraved into it.

I named the rapier [Obsidian Weaver]. And it happened...

[Title Unlocked: Relic forger].
You have achieved the impossible, perhaps there are no limits?
The dragon seeing the rapier froze and then started to look at the rapier repeatedly then started laughing.

“Bwahaha... Very interesting human! Very well. I the [Legendary Dragon] shall serve you!”

We ended up making a contract afterwards, I gave the rapier to Eli, which she cheerfully accepted. With this newfound ability, I thought it would be a good joke to drop [Relic] tier items in boss fights. I ended up becoming a famous NPC, and I received a title for it…

[Title unlocked: Legend]
Even the developers acknowledge you.

How does that even happen…

Sadly I stopped seeing Eli, ‘Maybe she met her end.’ I muttered while grinding my teeth.
I found myself depressed not doing anything... She made me make a promise...

‘To live a happy life.’ I muttered grinding my teeth. As if that could happen! A world without you is not the same, yet you want me to be happy? She left me a memento but I don’t think I will ever use it. ‘Will I ever see her again?’ I muttered.

I found myself reaching the end of my life span two years later. That day... It was a starry night sky, however, I could not admire it. The silver moonlight was piercing through the leaves of the forest, the rustling of the leaves and the gentle breeze were perfect. But…

‘How did I end up like this?’ I muttered as my cold body hit the ground, making a dull sound. I made a promise, it was a simple one. ‘To live a happy life.’ yet… Right now I cannot even move a single muscle of my body. ‘Just like real life… haha.’ I lifelessly muttered. Even though she is dead… Even though I promised.

“How do you make a promise you can’t fulfill!” I managed to say with the little energy I had left. I was not happy with myself. Making a promise yet I cannot even fulfill it?! I am a fool, no. We are fools… She promised and died… ‘Now it’s my turn I guess?’...

I could not feel my body anymore, everything from my face down felt completely lifeless. I could not focus my eyes, I could not see. I felt my eyes getting blurry. I was crying. Was it really worth it to not go on one last adventure with her? Instead, we just talked… Now here I am, dying…

‘I guess it is not my turn isn’t it?’ I said with a voice that was about to fade. I could not see, I could barely think. With the little strength, I had, seeing there was no point anymore. I made use of the memento she left me. I consumed an item called ‘[Cat’s Charm]’

‘I wonder if the description is true?’ I jokingly said.

[Cat’s charm: The universe smiles upon you. Be careful you don’t have 9 lives.]

Well, I am dead now, not like it matters if it smiles upon me or not… I wish I could fulfill my promise, and I wish I could fulfill the promise. I always wanted to live leisurely, yet I ended up like thi-...

[Logging out.]
[System error.]
[Retrying...]

[Title unlocked: Wish upon a star.]:
A star listened to your wish. Do not regret it.

[Effect of “Wish upon a star.” has been activated.]
[ -1000 Karma (Permanent)]
[Relocated.]

Last edited:

zeryn

I like it. I feel it sets a great premise of his achievements, and has his highs and lows in it. I did notice that grammar/punctuation fell off after the asterisks. So it will need some editing.

Elrouge

This prologue alone is good, or you can make it more impactful. But i guess it wont do any good if you plan for a slow paced story

Scribbler

You're too hard on yourself. As long as you enjoy writing it and as long as someone enjoys reading it then what you write is good.