First story, would love any feedback

Astrokitten

EDIT: okay, I’ve rewritten the first chapter so now it’s about 2k. Let me know if anything new stands out to people!

Hi! I’m new to the site (I’ve read things here before but never written anything of my own) and I was hoping for some feedback, critique etc. I know the first chapter is a little short but I didn’t want to drag out the scene. Should I have? Or just continued in to the next scene? I’ve seen that 1k is usually the minimum suggested chapter length and I don’t want to turn anyone off because I’ve not written more.

any other advice would also be greatly appreciated

My story

Last edited:

Temple

Yeah 1k is like the low end. Can aim 2k-2.5k which is the usual I think. You could add a lot of stuff to this first chapter. Like some background of her past life, some more trying to find her way in the forest, some hints this isn't our world (like weird plants/animals etc.) - could already do some world building here and show what's different with this world.

If your plan is that next chapter will be the interaction with the lizard guy, you could at least put more reactions to meeting him in this chapter. If it was me, maybe I'd think it was a prank or something? Like try to pull on the "costume" or try to find cameras thinking it's a gag show, stuff like that. She gasped but then just talked with the lizard guy. Kind of too fast there.

Your goal is light isekai, and it certainly got the feel of what you intended so props to that. Can sprinkle more wonder and amazement or concern at this new world. It's light isekai, so no rush to anything. Explore the world and people.

Astrokitten

Yeah 1k is like the low end. Can aim 2k-2.5k which is the usual I think. You could add a lot of stuff to this first chapter. Like some background of her past life, some more trying to find her way in the forest, some hints this isn't our world (like weird plants/animals etc.) - could already do some world building here and show what's different with this world.

If your plan is that next chapter will be the interaction with the lizard guy, you could at least put more reactions to meeting him in this chapter. If it was me, maybe I'd think it was a prank or something? Like try to pull on the "costume" or try to find cameras thinking it's a gag show, stuff like that. She gasped but then just talked with the lizard guy. Kind of too fast there.

Your goal is light isekai, and it certainly got the feel of what you intended so props to that. Can sprinkle more wonder and amazement or concern at this new world. It's light isekai, so no rush to anything. Explore the world and people.
Thanks!! I’ll take your advice and buff out this chapter a little bit

Lloyd

Funny Guy :)
I personally swear by 2k-3k because it takes over 5 minutes to read minimum and around 10 minutes maximum. You need to remember that if your story is only 1k then people are spending less than five minutes reading, so you probably arent going to leave much of an impression.
Did you make the cover yourself? It looks cute.

Astrokitten

Thanks for the advice!! I’m definitely going to rewrite the first chapter to be longer.
also, I did make the cover myself! Thank you!!

Astrokitten

I said it above but I’ll say it here too — chapter rewritten, more advice greatly appreciated!

chapter1king

Hi! Will definitely have a look :) - do you prefer feedback posted here or via DM?

Equally - feel free to drop any feedback; much appreciated!