First Time I'm Going To Do This Probably The Last.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Let me say something that may change your views:

It's pumping the numbers. That's it. Case closed.

It is one person. If you let one person poison your experience, you need to grow a thicker skin. Use him to get used to it. You will meet more in the long run anyway.

So what if he trash-talks and tries to drag others into his little charade? Let him do it. I had a verbal joust with one such individual, and our back and forth pushed said book the next day up to the top rankings in the "activity" leaderboard. That's a win.

Don't be played, my friend; play them instead.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
So what if he trash-talks and tries to drag others into his little charade? Let him do it. I had a verbal joust with one such individual, and our back and forth pushed said book the next day up to the top rankings in the "activity" leaderboard. That's a win.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Let me say something that may change your views:

It's pumping the numbers. That's it. Case closed.

It is one person. If you let one person poison your experience, you need to grow a thicker skin. Use him to get used to it. You will meet more in the long run anyway.

What a chad. 💪
he literally made an account on RR to make a review XD. I was laughing from that. XD
What a loser. (n)

SailusGebel

Because it can be fascinating and it could stop conflict.
I don't understand.
oh, I meant like the awareness of the reader and the author when commenting. So what I mean is that a reader can comment and critique an author's chapters. However, they also have to understand that they can't write certain things as the author can block or delete. Reason why I said awareness is that some readers and authors don't have that. ^w^
I don't understand. Like, an author should know they can de-escalate conflict by deleting and then blocking the troll ot hater? Or what? I just can't wrap my head around it. You've encountered a troll, and you talk about awareness. Trolls are the most aware of these things, and it won't stop them. Same with haters. I'm not joking or trolling, I legit can't understand the point. How exactly knowledge of being able to delete and block readers can save you from a troll or a hater. And how exactly would it help a reader to know that their comment might get deleted? Like, a reader won't get angry? What if the author is shitty? I'm not accusing you here, but I've seen a couple shitty authors.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I don't understand.

I don't understand. Like, an author should know they can de-escalate conflict by deleting and then blocking the troll ot hater? Or what? I just can't wrap my head around it. You've encountered a troll, and you talk about awareness. Trolls are the most aware of these things, and it won't stop them. Same with haters. I'm not joking or trolling, I legit can't understand the point. How exactly knowledge of being able to delete and block readers can save you from a troll or a hater. And how exactly would it help a reader to know that their comment might get deleted? Like, a reader won't get angry? What if the author is shitty? I'm not accusing you here, but I've seen a couple shitty authors.
I have already forgotten why I said it originally.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I don't understand.

Trolls and haters are a whole different matter. They're aware of stuff like this, which...yeah.

This awareness focuses more on understanding rather than being helpful. I think most readers don't have this in their heads when they're commenting. They don't expect the author to delete or block them. By not having that, it makes them talk more abrasive.

(Might be using the word wrong. But it makes them talk in a different manner when in real life.) XD

With your question about a reader knowing their comment might get deleted? It's impossible. All authors are different and have different criteria to do this. Also, they might be on a good or bad day. This knowledge is more of a calming down. Authors are normal people too, so act normal. (Kinda hard to convey my bad on this part ><)

For the authors, it's more about having the knowledge you can block someone. It's more of a willingness to do it. Like, some authors don't or won't block someone because they're afraid, etc. Author have to have some sort of understanding that they have control over their comment section. It's alright to block them if you want.

Ah, don't worry. Like I'm a 50-50 author. Like, I ain't perfect XD.

SailusGebel

By not having that, it makes them talk more abrasive.
I doubt this is the reason. But it's not like I or you have any evidence to back up this claim. Moreover, a more serious reason, in my opinion, is that a reader don't lose anything apart from being able to comment. You can't stop reader from reading the novel, giving you a rating, or writing a review(correct me if I'm wrong on any of these).
For the authors, it's more about having the knowledge you can block someone. It's more of a willingness to do it. Like, some authors don't or won't block someone because they're afraid, etc. Author have to have some sort of understanding that they have control over their comment section. It's alright to block them if you want.
I agree, but authors should also be aware that blocking =\= surefire method to solve this problem. Sometimes a very persistent hater would create new accounts or even make an account on a different site, like yours did. My take, authors should simply be more thick-skinned, precisely because they have more to lose, but at the same time more power. If you are level-headed, if you show that you can take even abrasive critique if it's helpful, I believe more readers would be on your side and help, not just fans. The last part is a baseless claim, but I feel like it is true.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I doubt this is the reason. But it's not like I or you have any evidence to back up this claim. Moreover, a more serious reason, in my opinion, is that a reader don't lose anything apart from being able to comment. You can't stop reader from reading the novel, giving you a rating, or writing a review(correct me if I'm wrong on any of these).

I agree, but authors should also be aware that blocking =\= surefire method to solve this problem. Sometimes a very persistent hater would create new accounts or even make an account on a different site, like yours did. My take, authors should simply be more thick-skinned, precisely because they have more to lose, but at the same time more power. If you are level-headed, if you show that you can take even abrasive critique if it's helpful, I believe more readers would be on your side and help, not just fans. The last part is a baseless claim, but I feel like it is true.
Yea, this is more of a opinion that I have. Yeah, that too. That was one of the reason why I didn't want to post this because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain in this situation. And no, you're not wrong from this. ^w^

Author should be aware that blocking isn't a surefire method. But it's a good thing to do to mitigate some problems. For your take about author being thick skin. I agree to some parts. Yes, authors should be more thick skinned. However, there need to be times where you need to call people out. When I created this post, I had a couple of ideas that would happen when I did. I still did it because you need to show things like this.

Also, really need to fix the thing where blocked ppl who can still edit the comments. That was an interesting I found.

Last edited:

Lysander_Works

Huh. How interesting that I just had a bit of discussion about this myself elsewhere, though nowhere near as dramatic. I voted that the best thing you could do was reply to the comments and rip into their logic if it really is fallible. Blocking, sure, you can do that as well. As fun as a comment war may sound, sometimes it's just easier to make yourself one big comment/post on that chapter addressing every point, proving it is unhelpful and not criticism, and then just move on. Sorry to have to be the one to say it, but whether it is criticism or just Sh*t posting, authors out here have to have a bit of a tougher skin, if only for the reason that SH is not a website that can easily filter through and examine every single bit of feedback and quickly determine if it fits or not (I say it this way because some sites actually can and do that).

This is my mistake because I should have deleted all his comments.

Can you do that though? I heard this only works half the time and still only when there is proof the comments are destructive and unhelpful.

This person is assuming that because he's a reader, he can say whatever he wants and that's that. No, that doesn't work like that.

Unfortunately my guy, it does work like that. This is the internet after all. RR and to some extend even SH are part of the Wild West, plus there isn't anything stopping anyone from reviewing a story, wrongfully or not on another platform, maybe even youtube if they were motivated enough. I think this "reader" has already realized that they can get a response out of you this way, and so they have been more motivated to do so; it's a mentality some have. All blocking does is keep them out of your sight and mind, that said it is a good choice for this.

So I'll say this, be respectful to authors and vice-versa.
It's good advise, something everyone should follow. I don't expect it from everyone though, because of my previous point; this is the internet.