Hey everyone! Can you give me your honest feedback and criticism of my novel?

Rockingashe

This is my first time writing a novel and wanted to see what everyone thinks I need to improve on. Thank you all in advance!

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
This is my first time writing a novel and wanted to see what everyone thinks I need to improve on. Thank you all in advance!

Hello, hello! Wanted to see if I could help! I'm surprised nobody's here before I am, I'm pretty new to the server, but I can offer some constructive criticism.
First off, there is very little characterization going on, very little in the ways of expressions and reactions, for descriptions of tones. The dialogue is pretty awkward and generic as well. For example, let's look at the 2nd-to-first paragraph!
<It had been a depressing day for me. "I don't understand why she had to say that before we graduated, I thought we had something." I thought back to that moment before I walked up to take my diploma, Jenny was staring at me, she looked saddened by something.>
Just declaring that it had been depressing often leads readers to be like "No duh... got anything else? Or is that it?"
You can be far more elaborate! Make these things your special snowflake in the literary world and avoid telling, and use that showing instead! You want this person to have personality, right? Well, you should describe that personality, infuse it into every word.
Out of the blue, Jenny just broke up with him. The man has to be feeling numb; sick to his stomach; incredibly angry but also befuddled and sad.. Or worse, he has a background that made it so he has terrible self-esteem, so he is absolutely terrified that something is so awful about him that Jenny is using her parents as an excuse to leave him because she can't stand to be around him anymore, and he just spirals into an anxiety-ridden mess.
Most importantly, the man has thoughts! Which might sound dumb! But this is first-person! There has to be a billion thoughts running through his mind and first-person POV is wonderful for that type of thing (and should be used for that)! And all of this applies to the entirety of the dialogue you had in your first chapter. I... uh... haven't read the rest. Sorry. But! I have reasons! It's my birthday! Got pizza to eat and a nice relaxin' shower to take.

Here's how I would write this particular paragraph, and you can apply the rules to anything else, while still trying to keep the general idea and structure that you had:
<I stared at the blank walls, a tear falling down my face as I smiled confusedly at the empty corridors. What else could I do? I was too befuddled, too numb, to understand why she would say that. And right before we graduated? I thought we had something. Did... did I do something wrong? I rubbed my sleeve across my nose and sniffed, biting my lip. I thought back to that moment, right before I walked up to take my diploma.
"Hah," I laughed mirthlessly. I was so high off success. And during it all, Jenny stared at me, absolutely crestfallen, completely at odds to the mood. I was so caught up in the mood that I brushed it off until...>

Last edited:

CubicleHermit

Not really my genre, but it's clearly written, sticks to point of view, and uses dialog tags correctly which is ahead of an awful lot of stories.

Minor quibble: at two places in the first chapter, you change speakers mid-paragraph -

"Hey, Kamen. Come over here". Jenny said. I walked over to see what she wanted while the principal was reading out names. "What's up Jenny?" I asked. "I don't think I can be friends with you anymore, I'm sorry." Jenny said.
Should probably be three paragraphs:

"Hey, Kamen. Come over here". Jenny said.

I walked over to see what she wanted while the principal was reading out names. "What's up Jenny?" I asked.

"I don't think I can be friends with you anymore, I'm sorry." Jenny said.

There's at least one other instance of that in the first chapter, and just adding a few more line breaks would leave it a bit clearer.

Would second what TheMonotonePuppet has to say about being more descriptive and showing more of the protagonist's thoughts/inner monologue. Having said that, that's some of my weakness so I don't have a ton to suggest on improving it beyond that the advice higher up is good.

TheMonotonePuppet

I'm actually back to go over this again! Wanted to do a more solid review of the grammar and I have a revised version of the first 3/5ths of your first chapter in a Google Doc, so you can use that as a basis for understanding my advice if you get confused. So you have a habit of listing, where it like "...and this happened and this happened," or equally recommended against "then this happened." I would recommend that you make use of more transition words, one of the most important parts of story. Transition words are exceptionally important, but there are a lot, so you'll need to look them up and their usages to get a better idea, because trust me, they are so incredibly important and the story needs them.

There are certain words that you used far too much and/or they aren't defined or exaggerated with adverbs. These include, but are not limited: running, ran, asked, saw, seeing, said, saying, grabbing, grabbed, standing, stood, stared, staring, looked, looking, walked, walking. There are so many other verbs you can use (and you need to stay in past tense) and that you should use because they convey a better sense of action. A lot of times it is OK to use these words, but they are also some of the most basic verbs, so you need to clarify and expand on it, like I said in the prior comment. They need to be used very sparingly. Draw deep on that vocabulary. Ask yourself. What does the voice of sadness sound like? What does utter fury sound like that? What does befuddlement sound like? "He said" bring zero information.

Also! Minor thing but this is how you do dialogue (random, made-up examples of dialogue used. Any resemblance to other dialogue is unintentional). <"Blah blah blah," she mocked.> it is not <"Blah blah blah." she mocked.> Comma instead of a period, but if it is a question or exclamation, you still use the question mark or exclamation mark. Now, for this, <"Go away-" he punched her to accentuate his scream "-or I drag you away myself... to hell!!!"> It is an action being described in the middle of the sentence, so you use hyphens to separate these two parts of dialogue. Now, when you do dialogue, and follow not with the voice itself (I shouted, they screeched... the voice is this stuff. There maybe a more specific term, but I'm not looking it up) but instead use an action ( "Nya!~ Don't touch me there or else." The cat-boy tsundere followed up with his threat with a wicked scratch), you use periods.

And here is the Google Doc. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NzALk7KQWPBHj3ujxL5nRdcvfsfHOt3M08g9OnC3ZrY/edit?usp=sharing

TheMonotonePuppet

The counterargument is that "he said" (or the character's "name said") is pretty much invisible to the reader, so if the dialog stands on its own, it's probably all you need.

I missed the breaking tense. That can be a killer.
True... dialogue in the chapter does not stand on its own though, so it's a moot point for this author, and it's fairly rare regardless.

Rockingashe

Thank you guys so much! I apologize for taking so long to reply. I hurt myself at work and I haven't been on my computer until yesterday. I appreciate what you guys said! I'll take note and try to do better!

TheMonotonePuppet

Thank you guys so much! I apologize for taking so long to reply. I hurt myself at work and I haven't been on my computer until yesterday. I appreciate what you guys said! I'll take note and try to do better!
Oh my gosh! So sorry that you got hurt! Hope it's doing better and gone, and hope it doesn't flare up! Thanks for the appreciation!

Rockingashe