hey, I need your help here

Misako

I have some problems and I thought maybe you would be willing to help me

Actually I want to be a novel writer but there are so many obstacles that occur

These are some issues that are bothering me a lot and maybe one of you guys can help me in dealing with this problem

1, I'm really bad at making things related to fighting, for example "John Chena caught The Rock's hand then twisted his hand and then slammed it into the ring", even though I've seen what scene happened but I think it's very strange if you reread it , can you tell me how to solve the problem in the fight scene?

2, I always have a lot of ideas and scenes in my head but every time I want to write it requires me to write it from the beginning and complete and detailed so that the reader can understand what is in the sentence that I make, for example I want to make a the scene where the main character falls in love at first sight with a country girl, and it makes me have to write all things related to detail and also takes time, can this be shortened and clarified using a shorter story or should I always use stories that use thousands of words just for 1 scene?

3, is it necessary to use sound effects? for example "*SFX BRUUUAAAAKKK" Then followed by the flow again "John was thrown then hit the wall", is it necessary or can you take another way, for example with a few sentences? e.g. "A man came to John and shot John with a gun, John who was shot immediately went to cover behind a wall", which one should be used or is there another way for this?

4, every different scene I always use a different paragraph even though it's a short sentence, for example

Alice fought against the royal army alone

As a legendary knight, Alice's power can't be underestimated

and also every few paragraphs there is also a conversation, for example

"Alice, what are you doing?" Says Erina

Then Alice smiled

"This is the only way I can go" Alice said

is this the right thing to do?

maybe some other things or there are still many things that I want to know more in order to become a novel writer, but it will be a long thing and I will ask at another time

Please help and thank you for participating

SailusGebel

I have some problems and I thought maybe you would be willing to help me

Actually I want to be a novel writer but there are so many obstacles that occur

These are some issues that are bothering me a lot and maybe one of you guys can help me in dealing with this problem

1, I'm really bad at making things related to fighting, for example "John Chena caught The Rock's hand then twisted his hand and then slammed it into the ring", even though I've seen what scene happened but I think it's very strange if you reread it , can you tell me how to solve the problem in the fight scene?

2, I always have a lot of ideas and scenes in my head but every time I want to write it requires me to write it from the beginning and complete and detailed so that the reader can understand what is in the sentence that I make, for example I want to make a the scene where the main character falls in love at first sight with a country girl, and it makes me have to write all things related to detail and also takes time, can this be shortened and clarified using a shorter story or should I always use stories that use thousands of words just for 1 scene?

3, is it necessary to use sound effects? for example "*SFX BRUUUAAAAKKK" Then followed by the flow again "John was thrown then hit the wall", is it necessary or can you take another way, for example with a few sentences? e.g. "A man came to John and shot John with a gun, John who was shot immediately went to cover behind a wall", which one should be used or is there another way for this?

4, every different scene I always use a different paragraph even though it's a short sentence, for example

Alice fought against the royal army alone

As a legendary knight, Alice's power can't be underestimated

and also every few paragraphs there is also a conversation, for example

"Alice, what are you doing?" Says Erina

Then Alice smiled

"This is the only way I can go" Alice said

is this the right thing to do?

maybe some other things or there are still many things that I want to know more in order to become a novel writer, but it will be a long thing and I will ask at another time

Please help and thank you for participating

2. Depends.

3. It's not necessary to use sound effects.

DanLane

Good writers write. Great writers steal.

And by that I mean that before we are writers we are readers. How does your favorite author handle, say, fight scenes? Dialogue? Foreshadowing, tension, romance, intrigue, and so on. For fight scenes, the action needs to matter to the reader. Action and reaction needs to be tied together tightly, but you don't have to hammer away with short sentences.

1: Some fights are frantic, the blows coming thick and fast. The reader speeds through the battle. Shots that miss, shots that hit, reaction to the shots, reaction to the reaction, quick disengages and furious assaults. You can pull the reader up close to the action, keeping the focus tight- this can help you, the author, hide things that the PoV character doesn't notice from the reader. You can pull back and juggle the combatants.

You could slow the action down, every action a step in a carefully choreographed dance with but one inevitable conclusion. These take longer, and you'll want to lay more groundwork to make the battle impactful to the reader. Just make sure if you go this route that it is what you intend- over explaining tends to bore readers. Leave room for the reader's imagination to fill in the blanks.

2: That is one loooong sentence. *grin* I do that to, and try to fix it in my edits. Inevitably, I miss some though. This one's a situational thing, I think. You don't need to spell out every single thing to the reader. If it bores you when writing it, chances are good it'll bore the reader (at least, this is what better writers than me say). Sometimes you need to summarize.

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't advance the plot, show character growth, or introduce a character, summarize. This is a guideline, not a commandment from the Writing Gods. Most everything that you lavish detail on should advance the plot in some way, though. That's my take on it.

3: That's up to personal preference. What sort of story do you want to write? I don't do much in the way of written sfx. There might be bodies that hit the floor with dull thumps, or the crack of a pistol shot, but I don't spell out the sounds. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing so, though. If that's the sort of story you want to write, then go for it.

4: For the last part, breaking up the lines that much can be jarring. If you keep a fairly consistent style, paragraph, short paragraph, paragraph-

Single line.

The single line draws attention. If you do this, you can create the impression that that single line is important. That's a good way to add emphasis with your style without using bold or italics, which you might want to save for other things (caps for SHOUTING, italics for internal self talk or minor emphasis, etc).

For dialogue, you can write :

"Spoken bit, as I do here," the author said. "To continue, more dialogue and blathering."

"Different conversational style here, indicating a different speaker. Skip closing quotes when

"You continue the dialogue from the same speaker in a different line. Multi-line monologues do this. And close quote."

There are better dialogue guides out there though. Overall advice: Readers will let you get away with a lot of crap if they're invested in the story and getting what they want out of it. If they're reading for the action, you need to have the action tropes and a bunch of fights, chases, and the like. If they're in it for the numbers going up, you're going to want stat screens and popup windows. Giving the reader the reader cookies they want keeps them interested.

These are just my impressions though, so take all advice with a grain of salt Good luck, and write often.

BlackKnightX

1. There’s nothing wrong with that example. Though, I suggest you cut out needless words and make it simpler, as simple as possible.

Like this: “John Chena caught The Rock's hand, twisted it, and slammed it into the ring.”

See? That’s smoother, isn’t it? In the beginning, you can just forget all these and just write however you like; then after you’re done, start editing. Remember, keep it simple.

2. Like I said, in the first draft, just let it go and write however you like. Express yourself freely. You can always go back and edit it later. In the editing process, if you find some details unnecessary, then just cut it. You’ll learn to omit needless details over time.

3. It depends on you, how you imagine the story, and the style you’re going for. If you wanna imitate a movie or an anime, just give it a go and write as many sound effects as you want. Just put the words down the way you imagine it.To write is to think; to write well is to think clearly. Just imagine the scene the way you like and let the word flow out of you. Don’t worry if it’s good or bad. Remember, you can always go back and edit it later.

4. I always imagine the paragraph as a pause—the kind that’s longer than any punctuation. And you know what a pause does in real life speech? Yep, it creates tension.

When you pause and then say something, the listener will automatically know that the following words or sentences are important. They will pay close attention to it.

So, if you want to create drama and tension, or you want to emphasize something, just use a pause—which in this case is a new paragraph.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Always start at something simple. Don't try to copy paste everything and act like you are some sort of a great author. It just heightens the expectation of people around you.

Always start at like how children's books are made. You don't necessarily become a famous author just by writing complicated stuff or just using some sort of reference.

For the start, always find the stuff you are comfortable with. Like, you should try to understand what your writing by rereading everything such that you can find the mistakes you make. It doesn't even have to be good at the beginning.

You want to focus on characters? Start by expanding who they are at your pace then start complicate them through your own path.

The storybuilding? Slowly build up your Jenga castle by stacking little things in place then you can start complicate their setting through how much you want to write them off.

The plot? Through your own pace, try to always follow what path you want to take on, even if the detail be a little off at the beginning. As long as you fill them up at your own.

Most authors start off as being illiterate, before they expand their writing skills through time and creativity they bring to their novels.

Hell, I even start off not knowing english at the beginning, even thinking that 300 words were long enough for my first novel.

8 years and I now expanded to 2k words and still trying to improve myself.

So, its fine if you are new. As long as you continue writing at your own pace, you can still improve if you want and don't try to copy others and just learn how they write to add them to your writing skills.

Misako

Always start at something simple. Don't try to copy paste everything and act like you are some sort of a great author. It just heightens the expectation of people around you.

Always start at like how children's books are made. You don't necessarily become a famous author just by writing complicated stuff or just using some sort of reference.

For the start, always find the stuff you are comfortable with. Like, you should try to understand what your writing by rereading everything such that you can find the mistakes you make. It doesn't even have to be good at the beginning.

You want to focus on characters? Start by expanding who they are at your pace then start complicate them through your own path.

The storybuilding? Slowly build up your Jenga castle by stacking little things in place then you can start complicate their setting through how much you want to write them off.

The plot? Through your own pace, try to always follow what path you want to take on, even if the detail be a little off at the beginning. As long as you fill them up at your own.

Most authors start off as being illiterate, before they expand their writing skills through time and creativity they bring to their novels.

Hell, I even start off not knowing english at the beginning, even thinking that 300 words were long enough for my first novel.

8 years and I now expanded to 2k words and still trying to improve myself.

So, its fine if you are new. As long as you continue writing at your own pace, you can still improve if you want and don't try to copy others and just learn how they write to add them to your writing skills.
oh my friend, I have written more than 5 novels and have written more than 100 thousand words, but it is my shortcomings that make me unable to stop asking questions, where is the mistake I made? mistakenly written? I edited it, haters? I'm bored with them, it's just that writing is more difficult to do than to say, I've tried to improve all aspects that are lacking in every word I make, and it gets better and better because there are many people who support me, everything my writing style they don't care and continue to enjoy my work without any protest, they are good people, to be honest I didn't like writing before but for some reason after my 1 novel with many readers it made me more enthusiastic about writing

some other things maybe are the many obstacles that I experience

Some of them lack ideas or run out of ideas to make new paragraphs

actually I want to finish my busy novel but I'm on hiatus for a while because all aspects of me are very lacking to move on to more serious episodes

but now i want to learn more and read more to find and get what i want to achieve

Fortunis

Each one has their own writing style, this style morphs and evolve constantly the more we read other stories and write our own. Some pointers we can give you regarding the points you bring forth:

1- When you are narrating a scene as it is happening any continuous tense is your best friend, try to describe it as seamlessly as possible. For example "John Cena caught The Rock's hand, twisting it as he slammed it into the ring. The dry thud mixed with the deafening cheers overwhelmed the arena as both fighters regained their form." This should also answer number 3 with sound effects.

2- Details when writing are the difference between an essay and an story but there is such thing as too many details, don't overwhelm your readers or become redundant on your descriptions. One example that comes to mind on this comes from the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, where he describes a character opening a parasol then a few lines later describes how the weather was and why a parasol would be useful when the reader can infer that if the character opened the parasol the weather was the adequate for it.

I hope you find these helpful as we still have a long way to go as writers ourselves.

Last edited: