How do you cope after watching traumatic story

ACertainPassingUser

I've recently watch some kind of story that suddenly surprised me due to after showing tragical scene of forced phycological brainwash and identity stripping of certain character.

Currently, Im quite uncomfortable and it feel like I've gotten punched in the gut, so I feel like the urge to visit nearby swing in the abandoned park and stare blankly into the darkness for the next couple of hours.

Before I spent the next hour emptily watching the empty darkness, would you share how you react and cope after watching traumatic content ?

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Watch something bubbly and cheerful, like Puella Madoka Magica. It's a show about magical girls and wholesome wish fulfilment. Can't go wrong with it.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Cope? What's that?
I just find something to distract myself with and forget about it.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
By dropping the traumatic story when it becomes too depressing.

Watch something bubbly and cheerful, like Puella Madoka Magica. It's a show about magical girls and wholesome wish fulfilment. Can't go wrong with it.
If you think any part of the Puella Magi series "wholesome wish fulfulment," then clearly you are not to be trusted, and may, in fact, be conspiring with a demonic space-rabbit-thing.

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

Been there before. Many times, actually. Well, nothing you can do about it. You just have to get comfortable in that mood. You'll be happy and fine soon enough.

That's also the reason why I'm very careful about choosing the story to consume, nowadays. Though, I think I'm quite case-hardened, already. Except, maybe, the betrayal stuff. Damn it, I can't stand betrayal at all.

All in all, I hate all dramas. When I spot one, I'll solve it right away. No bullshit here, please and thank you.

TotallyHuman

Or happy sugar life. A very adorable cgct anime. Or higurashi, which is a sweet slice of life about living in a japanese countryside.

D

Deleted member 113259

Just sleep on it. You'll either wake up and forget about it or have a nightmare that was worse than the thing you saw.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
If you think any part of the Puella Magi series "wholesome wish fulfulment," then clearly you are not to be trusted, and may, in fact, be conspiring with a demonic space-rabbit-thing.
Would you change your mind if I offered to grant you one wish?

ACertainPassingUser

Is there any specific guidebook about how to Man Up ?

I'm broke, no money 😢

double down and read something even worse
I have to refuse

reflect on it and how it inspired that reaction in you
Yeah, meditation works really well. Still kinda scared if I will get wrong conclusion and become weird eccentric afterwards, but

I say "OH MY GOD THAT WAS GOOD" and then read the writers other work
Surprisingly the writer has no other popular work.

1683384241948.jpg

Cope? What's that?
I just find something to distract myself with and forget about it.
My memory is too good, conscious distraction didn't work. I'm afraid I will suffer by keep focusing on the thing that make me traumatized without getting distracted at all.

Read/watch tons of SoL isekai.
I recently read/watch them. Instead of getting calmness, peacefulness and cheerfulness of beautiful daily life, it feels like I'm reading daily life of post-tragedy victim.

By dropping the traumatic story when it becomes too depressing.
Unfortunately, the traumatic part happens exactly at the last page/chapter/episode of the story. I can't drop the story if the story is already over in first place.

Been there before. Many times, actually. Well, nothing you can do about it. You just have to get comfortable in that mood. You'll be happy and fine soon enough.

That's also the reason why I'm very careful about choosing the story to consume, nowadays. Though, I think I'm quite case-hardened, already. Except, maybe, the betrayal stuff. Damn it, I can't stand betrayal at all.

All in all, I hate all dramas. When I spot one, I'll solve it right away. No bullshit here, please and thank you.
Yeah, i alse can't stand betrayal. It rather make me paranoid for some part in my life.

And unnecessary drama is something I also hate, but I don't think Im experienced enough to solve one right away.

Wait, you guys have coping mechanisms?
Wait, you don't ?

Or happy sugar life. A very adorable cgct anime. Or higurashi, which is a sweet slice of life about living in a japanese countryside.
1683385457542.jpg

Just sleep on it. You'll either wake up and forget about it or have a nightmare that was worse than the thing you saw.
Yeah, that may actually works. Im a dreamless sleeper, so there's won't be any nightmare for me.

Would you change your mind if I offered to grant you one wish?
1683385544990.jpg

Tempokai

Overworked One
Practice detachment. It really helps with those type stories. I've practiced it when I was binge watching horror content for entire two months.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Do something lighthearted.

For me I play some games where I can chill like Rune Factory.