How do you feel about character-driven stories compared to plot-driven stories?

Sylver

Like, novels that don't necessarily follow a plot from beginning to end, instead it focuses on the characters and their journey as they encounter new obstacles and personal goals?

My novel is a lot like that :blob_evil_two: where the main plot is based on the relationship between the two MC's and the obstacles they face because of it. Or simply put: a forbidden relationship between a Man and a Monster Girl in which this medieval society heavily discourages.

But a side effect is that one can argue that there is no central focus in plot so far :blob_hmm_two: because currently, Act 1 is focused on the characters and a lot of surprise encounters. Going out to different locations, facing surprise bad guy encounters, it's like am adventure where you don't know what could happen next. It helps with the world building for me :blob_evil_two:

Do you guys prefer a story that follows a coherent plot from start to finish, or a story that focuses on the adventure of not knowing what comes next?

Last edited:

Sylver

Since I don't quite get what you mean, can you give examples of such works?
Hmm, sort of like a D&D approach where anything can happen to the characters as they explore the world around them.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Hmm, sort of like a D&D approach where anything can happen to the characters as they explore the world around them.
Plot-driven stories are good for short term consument, yes. Most would enjoy that with their 2025 attention span

Sylver

Plot-driven stories are good for short term consument, yes. Most would enjoy that with their 2025 attention span
Ooo definitely! How do you feel about character-driven stories? Shoot, that's how I should have titled this post now that I think about it

While I do think stories definitely tend to have a focus, every good story has both. If there is no plot whatsoever what drives the character (their motivation and ambition is a plot) and the same thing the other way - a god plot with dull characters is nothing. I don't even see why your premise is without a plot - there can be an underlying red thread that becomes apparent after a while, and functions as plot. Or the wild adventuring and surprises is the plot and gets somewhere I'm the end. I dint know why I have to choose one, bur if I do I tend to care more about characters.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
As no story tends to be mutually exclusive, I reckon it is very difficult to pinpoint which story goes which way, and hence which one I would prefer.

I am fine either way as long as the story is good.

Though I do reckon a story played out like a DnD campaign but where the randomness of events is dictated by the mind of the author will not be my cup of tea unless the setting is phenomenal, which again makes it a thematically driven story instead of a character-driven one.

So in all, I reckon I prefer a coherent story, but it is not necessary for a character-driven story to be boring so long as it is not dragging its feet.

Beta_Krogoth

Whilst they have different criteria, ultimately the deciding factor here is always the same thing, quality.

Plot-driven stories need good plots at a bear minimum.
Character centred stories need good characters at a bear minimum.

Last edited:

Satansoul

useless member
I often enjoy stories that lack plot or character development. Because they don't need a brain and I don't have a brain either.:blob_melt:

D

Deleted member 133647

2024 ya bastard, if it was 2025 we would have the second season of Arcane

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
both have their places. I personally prefer character driven for episodic webnovels, and Plot-driven for full length novels, such as physical or e-books.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Both have their place in literature. You can make good stories with both. People have been having it easier with characters since it's easier to empathize with "people" instead of with "concepts" but that does not mean one is more interesting than the other. A novel can have, instead, arcs which are character driven and others which are plot driven without much of a problem, if it is long enough of a story. It's about an author's skill with writing compelling characters or ideas, and not whether one is better than the other.